Test Your Toy Soldier Knowledge (1 Viewer)

MikeNick

Sergeant
soldiers and questions 009.JPGsoldiers and questions 032.JPGsoldiers and questions 031.JPGsoldiers and questions 008.JPGsoldiers and questions 008.JPGHi.

I have been amazed at the knowledge of the Tree Frog Forum members. I'm wondering if some of you would welcome a test of your toy soldier knowledge?

I bought these figures years ago. I don't know who made them. Some may be castings painted by hungry artists and sold to a soldier shop in New Orleans. Nonetheless, if you can tell me anything about the manufacturer then I would appreciate it.
soldiers and questions 009.JPGsoldiers and questions 031.JPGsoldiers and questions 032.JPG

Regarding Le Petit in New Orleans a word of warning. You might call before you go . one time years ago I went during normal biz hours and no one was there middle of week. went back next day sign said back in 15. waited maybe 45 then left.
finally hit pay dirt on 3rd day and got in . Bought a beautiful figure of Count Von Stauffenberg with removable valise! Just struck me as an inspired figure, Never knew who made it. anyhow, they are recommended but do call and make sure they are open

Thanks for the heads-up.

MikeNick

Regarding Le Petit in New Orleans a word of warning. You might call before you go . one time years ago I went during normal biz hours and no one was there middle of week. went back next day sign said back in 15. waited maybe 45 then left.
finally hit pay dirt on 3rd day and got in . Bought a beautiful figure of Count Von Stauffenberg with removable valise! Just struck me as an inspired figure, Never knew who made it. anyhow, they are recommended but do call and make sure they are open

Thanks for the heads-up.

MikeNick

They struggled under many pressures after hurricane Katrina wiped out New Orleans and the surrounding areas for several years..They are now open as "Sword and Pen" and are open six days a week now..

Heyde Evzones.jpg I recently purchased these 40 mm Evzones on ebay. The information on them read "HEYDE, SPENKUCH, HEINRICHSEN, KOBER, etal - 4 GREEK EVZONES IN-ACTION - (ca.1900) - (measure 40mm base to brow) - (demi-round solid-cast lead) - Unusual old quartette of Greek Evzones".

Can anyone give me a definitive answer on the manufacturer?

Thanks,
MikeNick

Hi Mikenick,

Those are an interesting little acquisition. There are several possibilities for makers but the best clues are usually the base style when it comes to flats. Without seeing the bottom/underside of the base its difficult to guess but I they might be from a company called Tobinnus. If they are there should be a TO inscribed on the undersaid of the base. They could also be Heinrichsen because Heinrichsen used a wide variety of base styles. Please take a photo of the bases and let us see them. These are definantly a fun little pick up.

Dave

Can anyone give me a definitive answer on the manufacturer?

Thanks,
MikeNick[/QUOTE]

Probably HEYDE

Bosun Al

Hi Mikenick,

Those are an interesting little acquisition. There are several possibilities for makers but the best clues are usually the base style when it comes to flats. Without seeing the bottom/underside of the base its difficult to guess but I they might be from a company called Tobinnus. If they are there should be a TO inscribed on the undersaid of the base. They could also be Heinrichsen because Heinrichsen used a wide variety of base styles. Please take a photo of the bases and let us see them. These are definantly a fun little pick up.

Dave
Dave and others,
Hi. I finally figured out how to use my wife's camera. Here is a photo of the base of the figures. Does this help? There are no manufacturer's markings under the base, but you can see the base's shape which may indicate the producer.
soldiers flats and semiflats 022.JPG
Lastly, I am including a photo alongside a Britain's Evzone so as to help with the size of the figures. They are semi-flats, by the way.
View attachment 86825
Thanks,
MikeNick

Wish List 11th Hussars.jpg
This figure caught my eye. It was listed on a Scottish estate sale. From the photo I can speculate that the figure represents an 11th hussars. Am I correct?

Does anyone know the name of the manufacturer?

Regards,
MikeNick

Dave and others,
Hi. I finally figured out how to use my wife's camera. Here is a photo of the base of the figures. Does this help? There are no manufacturer's markings under the base, but you can see the base's shape which may indicate the producer.
View attachment 86824
Lastly, I am including a photo alongside a Britain's Evzone so as to help with the size of the figures. They are semi-flats, by the way.
View attachment 86825
Thanks,
MikeNick

View attachment 88711
This figure caught my eye. It was listed on a Scottish estate sale. From the photo I can speculate that the figure represents an 11th hussars. Am I correct?

Does anyone know the name of the manufacturer?

Regards,
MikeNick

Hi MikeNick
Should be Lord Cardigan (manufacturer:King&Country UK, Crimean range, no CRW06)
Best regards from Germany
Marcus

Hi.
I came home after having a rough day at work. I opened my email and saw that, low and behold, James Opie had responded to an email that I sent him regarding these figures. (Yes, THE James Opie).

Anyway, he told me that he is 95% sure that the figures were made by Haffner.

I don't know which is better, finally identifying the figures or having a response from James Opie?

What a day!

MikeNick

Dave and others,
View attachment 86824
View attachment 86825
Thanks,
MikeNick

Hi Mike,

Thats great! I am glad that he was able to make a positive ID for you. They are certainly interesting figures.

Dave

Hi.
I have a toy soldier that I need help identifying. Under the base it reads ABC Made in Wales. Please provide any additional information if you can. Here are photos:Items for sale on ebay 017.JPGItems for sale on ebay 022.JPG
Thanks,
MikeNick

Hi.
I picked up these three figures on ebay, but have no idea who made them. There is no marking under the base.
Can anyone help?
Fusilier Miniatures pic 2.jpgFusilier Miniatures pic 9.jpgFusilier Miniatures pic 12.jpg
Thanks,
MikeNick

May I ask who you bought them from? They remind me of recasts that bfledger sells, in the softness of the detail and the middling quality of the paint jobs. The lack of markings could be an indication that they're recast using molds made of commercially-available figures.

Britains had a figure of Shakespeare out at one time; I don't know if anyone else ever did.

Prost!
Brad

Victoria could by a Rose sculpt, though (Russell Gammage). I have to check my Rose catalogs at home to see.

Prost!
Brad

Brad,
Hi.
I did not get them from bfledger. They came with three other Fusilier Miniature figures that I am asking the maker for identification.
I noticed that Tradition and Mundiart make versions of William Shakespeare.
Thanks for the help.
MikeNick

Thanks for the additional info, Mike.

Tradition's figures should be marked under the base, with "TRADITION", in fairly clean letters. Also, if it's from their newer ranges, the base would tend to be oval in shape.

Prost!
Brad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back