The finished scratch built plaster windmill (1 Viewer)

fishead19690

Command Sergeant Major
I finally got around to completing my windmill project! I didn,t have munch time to work on it with being on vaction for a week and returning to car problems and other every day headaches but I just finished it today. I may touch up the paint a bit still but here it is.

Attachments

• DSC01059.JPG
    DSC01059.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 375
Here is a veiw of the back with the removable top half spun around to the way it should be so that the blades of the windmill don,t take out people going in and out of the door.:p

Attachments

• DSC01073.JPG
    DSC01073.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 181
Last picture! A closer look at the door, you can see I had a few little pit holes in the plaster here and there. I want to touch up the paint a bit more. I was starting to get a little burnt out painting it, you just keep seeing things you want to fix and now that I see the pictures back I see even more.:p

Attachments

• DSC01079.JPG
    DSC01079.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 181
Nice job and it took much planing and work. You certainly have of a one of a kind piece. Leadmen

Last edited:
That turned out pretty cool maybe the next one will be a battle damage one.

Looks sweet!
Another project I need to do and probably never will but thank you for the inspiration.Perfect for your Napoleonics !
Great work!
FUbaRrRRrrr:)

Wow! Was it a kit? I have found that a wash of some appropriate color helps with the pin holes,when working on plaster.

Wow! Was it a kit? I have found that a wash of some appropriate color helps with the pin holes,when working on plaster.

No its not a kit, its all scratch built. The pin holes are not that bad and in a few spots look pretty cool on the rocks even making them seem more natural. I coluld have used some drywall compound like they use to fill the gaps when doing dry wall and I can get whole 5gal buckets of the stuff for free from work if I wanted but I didn,t have any on hand and really wanted to finish the thing so I just left a few pin holes on it, no big deal I can still fix them when I go to touch up a few spots no big deal.

It is really neat, was it cast? I'm really curious about the process. Very well done really!

As far as the casting of the plaster theres not munch to tell I just mixed the plaster with water:p and poured it into my daughters little beach pail and let it harden so the whole base is solid plaster. When the plaster was dry I removed it from the pail and started to carve it by hand with a set of double end carving tools I got at a craft store that are meant to be used for wood but worked just fine other than the blisters I had on my fingers form using them.:p I,m going to repost a picture on this post of it in the rough stages and all the carving you see in the picture is done by hand inclueding the door and windows but when I went to finish the carving I dreaded the thought of more blisters so I tried a small caring bit on my dremel tool and it worked munch better on the fingers. I just had to put it on the lowest setting and be careful as its a little harded to contol what your doing than doing it by hand but I started to get a good feel for it towards the end.The top is two pieces of thick blue foam glued together that I took a bastard file to to get the cone shape to. The piece that comes out of the side that the fan blades connects to is also blue foam that had to be cut filed and fitted and was a little tricky. I also cut this piece out and added pieces of small craft wood under the fan blades(see finished results picture). The fan itself was a lot of work also and was made of match sticks and craft wood. I don,t know if you can see it from the pictures but the outer edges of the fan blades are 3 layers of match sticks and I had to cut small 1/4inch pieces in between each of the single match stick that come out of the longer main blade piece. Heres a picture of the rough stages!

Attachments

• DSC00889.JPG
    DSC00889.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 327
Last edited:
Yes, Fish is really warped. Good thing we are on opposite sides of the USA. If he and I joined forces it would be chaos.
I prefer warped myself.Great minds think alike.

Der Fub:p

Thats a very good use of a childs toy as the mold. I really liked the work and hope to see it mixed in with a big display sometime.

Dave

Oh and by the way Go Yankees!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back