"The Garden Party" (1 Viewer)

PolarBear

Major
A typical Anglo-Indian gathering at the home of Colonel Smythe. (I hope Bill Hocker will make some additional figures of Indian civilians--male, female, children. I need more cast members:))

Figures from Wm. Hocker Sets 118 and 120

Attachments

• GardenPartyMatSm.jpg
    GardenPartyMatSm.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 794
David Lean's film of Forster's A Passage To India features a party such as this though in the 20thC rather than the 19th as in my scene.

Attachments

• clubparty1.jpg
    clubparty1.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 603
  • clubparty2.jpg
    clubparty2.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 240
  • clubparty3.jpg
    clubparty3.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 1,004
David Lean's film of Forster's A Passage To India features a party such as this though in the 20thC rather than the 19th as in my scene.

And then the Indian woman pull out scimitars from under their dresses and give them to the men, who precede to hack up those d---n English and start yet another Sepoy rebellion 19 and..and..and... Think I saw it in a movie...Your scenes are just too mushy for me:p Michael

And then the Indian woman pull out scimitars from under their dresses and give them to the men, who precede to hack up those d---n English and start yet another Sepoy rebellion 19 and..and..and... Think I saw it in a movie...Your scenes are just too mushy for me:p Michael

Not all the violence of imperialism and colonialism occurs on the field of battle. It is often more subtle than that. The social life of the Raj and the Victorian Era are among the great strengths of William Hocker's creations and why I as an academic who studies this subject collect them.

Not all the violence of imperialism and colonialism occurs on the field of battle. It is often more subtle than that. The social life of the Raj and the Victorian Era are among the great strengths of William Hocker's creations and why I as an academic who studies this subject collect them.

Yeah, most of my Hockers have guns and swords. They are great figures no matter the period..Michael

Randy,
What kind of tea are they serving?:D
Lovely sets and just as colorful as the pics you found! Very nice!
Mike

Randy,
What kind of tea are they serving?:D
Lovely sets and just as colorful as the pics you found! Very nice!
Mike

Mike,

Dunkin Donuts and Coffee are available upon request.

I just love these....

Raymond.

:)

Yeah, most of my Hockers have guns and swords. They are great figures no matter the period..Michael

Michael

As Pat Wade has mentioned, Bill Hocker's soldiers have a wonderful nostalgic playfulness about them as do the glossy Edmunds Traditional Toy Soldiers that are a nice component of your own collection. The basic appearance of Edmunds figures (as seen below) is characterized by a very Victorian sense of childlike innocence despite the weapons they carry. One of Bill Hocker's wishes is that collectors play (as seen in set 320 below) with his sets and that's precisely what I enjoy doing.

Attachments

• EDM-CBA021.jpg
    EDM-CBA021.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 202
  • 320.gif
    320.gif
    20.7 KB · Views: 190
Michael

As Pat Wade has mentioned, Bill Hocker's soldiers have a wonderful nostalgic playfulness about them as do the glossy Edmunds Traditional Toy Soldiers that are a nice component of your own collection. The basic appearance of Edmunds figures (as seen below) is characterized by a very Victorian sense of childlike innocence despite the weapons they carry. One of Bill Hocker's wishes is that collectors play (as seen in set 320 below) with his sets and that's precisely what I enjoy doing.

Hi Randy,

I like your message in this post.

Thanks, Raymond.

:)

Last edited:
Michael

Makes a lovely change from Feldgrau and Summer cammo Randy.
I am enjoying your WM Hocker sets very much.

How refreshing to see something that is not all blown up with war equipment all around.........The gloss figures fit the scene.......Great work......
Regards,
Canucks:):):)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back