The Ivory Phaeton (2 Viewers)

johnnybach

Major General
The Ivory Phaeton was built for Queen Victoria in 1842 by Barker & Company at a cost of £300. It gets it's name from the Ivory ornamental fittings, which were usually made in brass. It is still used today by the current Queen Elizabeth II. It has a high "splasher" - said being made to hide the horses' rear from the view of the passenger, and no doors for ease of access. It has been used at the World famous Trooping of the Colour by QEII - and this ease of access is one reason for it's continuing popularity with the present and previous monarch.

I found the model - along with either Queen as passenger at RP World Models, in it's Steadfast range. It comes with either Queen ( the owner Bob Pratti, kindly let me have both Queens ), but I show it here, now almost completed - with Queen Victoria, as an elderly lady as a passenger. It comes as either a ready painted model - or castings kit - and I chose the latter, of course.

I built the model up from the kit of parts - and found that I needed to "beef up" the undercarriage a bit - using brass rods across the sub-frame. This was because during handling, I found that the mudguards were flexing alarmingly, and I thought that they may get broken. I also put my pair of horses on a single base - which also helps keep things stable. I also beefed up the draw bar - as this was rather flimsy when the horses were connected to it originally. My small modifications ( which are now mostly unseen) helped make the model more rigid - so helping me handle and paint it. There are still a few touches to do before I will be satisfied - but it's mostly completed now. I have made Victoria to be de-mountable - and will do the same modification for QEII later today - and show how it looks with new occupant later. Here are three views below. jb

Amazing work as usual. Will have to try and visit you sometime to see all of the collection!

Dave

Cheers chaps - glad you like it. NOW..............here's the crafty bit!^&grin

This model comes with a choice of occupant. You can have either Queen Victoria - or Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II. However, when I asked Bob Pratti ( who is a really nice guy to do business with), if I could have BOTH queens - he said sure you can - and gave me both at no extra charge. I adapted them slightly, by putting a pin in the base of each half-figure - which are intended to be glued in position in the carriage - atop what is intended as the blanket clad base of the figure. I painted my blanket in the rather sombre colours of the 42nd, orGovernment Tartan - most associated with the Black Watch (remember them???).

You can see both figures with pin, in my first pic below.

Next pic shows QEII slotted in to my drilled hole in the blanket base below. Her maj is being driven down the Mall - and appears to be looking up at the Fly-past - going overhead - as she journeys back from thr Trooping. Happy Birthday Maam!!:D

Here's another couple of views of the piece below. The backgrond picture, by the way, comes from my copy of the marvelous book "The Royal Mews" by Mary Stuart Wilson (1991, page 154) which gives pictures and information on all of the carriages and vehicles in the Royal Collection - and is an invaluable source of pics and info for painting guides for 'erks like me.

Many thanks again to Bob Pratti for his usual help. I can now use my Phaeton for display in two eras - around 100 years apart. How cool is that? :cool: jb

What a wonderful set, John, and a brilliant build. Clever job on your mods to make the carriage stronger. Well done!

Prost!
Brad

Very nicely done JB !! I like the option of having either Queen as well.

I have the Britains version which only came with QE II and was made as part of the Trooping of the Colour series a few years ago now.

attachment.php

I'm not much for parades and band sets but this is really well done JB, nice job on the dappling on the horses!
Ray

Very nicely done JB !! I like the option of having either Queen as well.

I have the Britains version which only came with QE II and was made as part of the Trooping of the Colour series a few years ago now.

attachment.php

Yes - I have seen that set (in pictures), and it's a nice version Scott. It's getting a bit tricky to find now - and I've seen good ones go for a tidy sum these days at auction.

Bob Pratti's idea of having a half-figure of the occupant is a very neat one. He intended it to be an either/or choice - but when I asked if I could have the two figures of both Queens, he readily agreed. They do come with a small "stub" underneath, to locate into a hole in the top of the cast-in blanket arrangement - but it is of a very soft metal. I was afraid that in due course it would have worn and eventually broken off with repeated changes. So....I simply cut it off - drilled into the figure - and replaced it with a steel pin. Both Queens now slot in perfectly - and the figure itself sits neatly over the blanket, as the pin is slightly recessed - and hides the join.

I chose to paint the blanket with a dark tartan, mainly for Victoria, who was noted for liking more sombre colours later in life - and it IS a bit dark for our present Queens' outfit.

Incidentally - I found this pic of HMQEII in the Phaeton - which shows her wearing a very similar outfit - which shows Bob was bang on the money for modelling the outfit. The pic does indicate a light grey/blue blanket across her knees - but I can't figure out how to achieve that with my model. I'm not going to repaint the blanket each time I fancy a swap over of figures!{eek3} jb

(Source: From a Pitkin London Guide booklet also titled "The Royal Mews, Buckingham Palace, The Queen's Horses and Carriages", 1979, p.19)

Very nice jb, and like Ray mentioned - great job with the dappling on the horses. :salute::

B. :smile2:

Very nice jb, and like Ray mentioned - great job with the dappling on the horses. :salute::

B. :smile2:

Glad you like it buddy. Trick with dappling - is to paint it on where you want it - then tone it down with a thin wash ( or succession of washes) with a thinned out coat or two of white. Depending on how strong you want it to be - you can overpaint in shades of blue/grey - and then overpaint in white again.

I just did a very quick light grey dapple with this one - and one coat of white as my overpaint. jb

Could you use a bit of foil for the blanket painted and then placed over top?

Trouble with foil is that it would go "crinkly" for this quarter spherical shape. No - I made my choice of colour to suit Victoria - so I'll just live with the darker colour for QEII. I might have a go at a papier-mache half sphere, one day. jb

Hi JB,

Any chance to retrieve or upload new photos of your piece? It would greatly help me in knocking up my landau.

Rgds Vic

Hi JB,

Any chance to retrieve or upload new photos of your piece? It would greatly help me in knocking up my landau.

Rgds Vic

I clicked on one of the dead links and went to Photobucket. That particular image was blocked, but I was able to scroll through the gallery and see the other photos. You might be able to, too, in the meantime, till we all get squared away migrating away from PB and retrieving or re-upping images.

Prost!
Brad

Hi again Vic - I just unearthed this version of the State Landau - which I thought was lost in our last house move. Took some finding in my stash - but thought it might be of some help.

It's a Plastic one by Corgi, which I was given by a friend - and always meant to paint up someday, when I had the time.

Hope it helps. jb

PIC_4659.JPG

Hi JB,

Thanks once again for the Corgi photo as well. Bloody good looking model that. Not sure whether I can do my landau recast any justice....

Rgds Vic

Hi JB,

Thanks once again for the Corgi photo as well. Bloody good looking model that. Not sure whether I can do my landau recast any justice....

Rgds Vic

Victor,

I've got one of these coaches, it's for sale at a very reasonable price :)

coach.jpg

In original (damaged) packaging too ...

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back