The Lazarus Battery - August´s Guns - 1914 (1 Viewer)

Artillery_crazy

2nd Lieutenant
Very little if nothing is ever said or presented related to WW1....Most of all that we see discussions are focused on WW2...And when we see releases and or discussions on the WW1 era these are all focused on the later years of WW1....It is a pity...the opening artillery barrages that took place at the initial weeks of the war...when there was still movement and the race for the sea was yet to become a reality, had its own great moments and a lot of " the lost elan and romatic thoughts that the war would be over byChristmas" ...and it was also when uniforms were colourful. But unfortunately all that gets lost in the midst of the later years war discussions......
Well, now to the topic.....two years ago I set to work on a project that was to be called the " Guns of August - 1914 "...Some twists and a lot of luck two years later, I have to confess I had to change the project name to " The Lazarus Battery "....
The reason for that being that the Prussian - Austro Hungarian Battery that depicts the heavy calibre Guns used by the Central powers in pulverizing the Belgian Forts was built and shipped from across the Ocean around October 2017....them on its way it got classified as lost....{sm2}{sm2}{sm2}...I was ready to write them off...{sm3}..when by sheer luck the postal service sent me a note that the parcel with the Battery had arrived...{sm4}..So for something that was given as lost/dead and ressurected the analogy to Lazarus was fitting....{sm4}{sm4}
Jokes apart, these are examples of the great work bone by Obee...I sent him the details of what I wanted, we discussed layout and necessary accessories and number of soldiers per garrison for a proper artillery piece being services.., then sourced the scalelink Prussian garrisons, one 42 caliber Morser by Mounfotrd, one 42 Caliber Morser by Rose Miniatures ( the one with the shield ), and an Austro Hungarian Heavy Mortar ( 30.5 cm ) by Superior and a full complement of Austro Hungarian garrison by Rose Miniatures...:cool::cool:
Below are pictures of the battery as it stands on my cabinet. I tried to lay the pieces and supporting troops in some fashion you would see them on the field, on eschalon....For sure the distances between each is NOT CORRECT for I would not have the necessary space....but it gives an overall idea of what would the poor Belgian Fortress garrisons have faced....Just the size of the rounds are absurd....
In the near future I will have them out for a dio set up so that the real art can be better appreciated....I just wanted to give a quick glimpse as we speak...
Cheers
Luiz

Attachments

• IMG_7726 (Copy).jpg
    IMG_7726 (Copy).jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 354
  • IMG_7724 (Copy).jpg
    IMG_7724 (Copy).jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_7613 (Copy).jpg
    IMG_7613 (Copy).jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_7612 (Copy).jpg
    IMG_7612 (Copy).jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_7604 (Copy).jpg
    IMG_7604 (Copy).jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 356
Below are pictures of the battery as it stands on my cabinet. I tried to lay the pieces and supporting troops in some fashion you would see them, on eschalon....For sure the distances between each is NOT CORRECT for I would not have the necessary space....but it gives an overall idea of what would the poor Belgian Fortress garrisons have faced....Just the size of the rounds are absurd....
In the near future, I will have them out for a dio set up so that the real art can be better appreciated....I just wanted to give a quick glimpse as we speak...
Cheers
Luiz

Attachments

• officers.JPG
    officers.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 247
  • morserT.JPG
    morserT.JPG
    154.9 KB · Views: 230
  • morserM.JPG
    morserM.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_7476.JPG
    IMG_7476.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_7471.JPG
    IMG_7471.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 210
Very little if nothing is ever said or presented related to WW1....Most of all that we see discussions are focused on WW2...And when we see releases and or discussions on the WW1 era these are all focused on the later years of WW1....It is a pity...the opening artillery barrages that took place at the initial weeks of the war...when there was still movement and the race for the sea was yet to become a reality, had its own great moments and a lot of " the lost elan and romatic thoughts that the war would be over byChristmas" ...and it was also when uniforms were colourful. But unfortunately all that gets lost in the midst of the later years war discussions......
Well, now to the topic.....two years ago I set to work on a project that was to be called the " Guns of August - 1914 "...Some twists and a lot of luck two years later, I have to confess I had to change the project name to " The Lazarus Battery "....
The reason for that being that the Prussian - Austro Hungarian Battery that depicts the heavy calibre Guns used by the Central powers in pulverizing the Belgian Forts was built and shipped from across the Ocean around October 2017....them on its way it got classified as lost....{sm2}{sm2}{sm2}...I was ready to write them off...{sm3}..when by sheer luck the postal service sent me a note that the parcel with the Battery had arrived...{sm4}..So for something that was given as lost/dead and ressurected the analogy to Lazarus was fitting....{sm4}{sm4}
Jokes apart, these are examples of the great work bone by Obee...I sent him the details of what I wanted, we discussed layout and necessary accessories and number of soldiers per garrison for a proper artillery piece being services.., then sourced the scalelink Prussian garrisons, one 42 caliber Morser by Mounfotrd, one 42 Caliber Morser by Rose Miniatures ( the one with the shield ), and an Austro Hungarian Heavy Mortar ( 30.5 cm ) by Superior and a full complement of Austro Hungarian garrison by Rose Miniatures...:cool::cool:
Below are pictures of the battery as it stands on my cabinet. I tried to lay the pieces and supporting troops in some fashion you would see them, on eschalon....For sure the distances between each is NOT CORRECT for I would not have the necessary space....but it gives an overall idea of what would the poor Belgian Fortress garrisons have faced....Just the size of the rounds are absurd....
In the near future I will have them out for a dio set up so that the real art can be better appreciated....I just wanted to give a quick glimpse as we speak...
Cheers
Luiz

Attachments

• IMG_7601 (Copy).jpg
    IMG_7601 (Copy).jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_7602 (Copy).jpg
    IMG_7602 (Copy).jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_7603 (Copy).jpg
    IMG_7603 (Copy).jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_7732 (Copy).jpg
    IMG_7732 (Copy).jpg
    164 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_7731 (Copy).jpg
    IMG_7731 (Copy).jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 255
The Austro Hungarian Mortar, behind a protective wall, in the rear..setting the gun for another murderous round at the Beligian Redout....{sm3}{sm3}{sm3}
Also some shots of the piece and garrison prior to shipment....
In the near future, I will have them out for a dio set up so that the real art can be better appreciated....I just wanted to give a quick glimpse as we speak...
Cheers
Luiz

Attachments

• IMG_7475.JPG
    IMG_7475.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_7474.JPG
    IMG_7474.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_7473.JPG
    IMG_7473.JPG
    173.7 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_7472.JPG
    IMG_7472.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_7603 (Copy).jpg
    IMG_7603 (Copy).jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 237
Luiz,

it's great to finally see these monsters 'in action' on your very own Western Front. !!!

Yes, a 10 week 'Express Air" post must surly mean that they must have gone on a' tramp steamer' across the ocean, but glad they all arrived safely.

Looking good, :tongue::tongue:

John

Absolutely phenomenal! Luiz your planning and Obee’s execution make for the most impressive WWI battery I have seen in the hobby!!😎😎😎😎😎

Spectacular Big Guns. The castings and painting are superb. -- Al

Wonderful additions Luiz. Those guns and gunners all look fantastic. Great work John.

UBIQUE!

Brendan

Luiz,

Fabulous collection and some great work by John. He’s truly a master. They must look even better in person.

Brad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back