The Luttrell Psalter (1 Viewer)

johnnybach

Major General
One of my favourite "Knight" makers - was Freddy Ping (1902-1977). Around 1975, however, he made a Knight figure of Sir Geoffrey Luttrell, along with his wife Agnes - and daughter-in-law Beatrice, all on one base. Sir Geoffrey was preparing for a tournament and being assisted by the two women - who were handing him some of his weapons and armour. A picture of this was to become Freddy's Christmas card for 1975.

I first saw this picture in Peter Greenhill's marvelous book - Heraldic miniature Knights (1991, page 940 - and fell for it instantly!

Is that gorgeous - or what?

The piece itself is based on a an illuminated illustration in a very old book - The Luttrell Psalter (commisioned by Luttrell around 1320 - and now in The British Museum). Here it is from a picture in one of my favourite books, "Knights".

As can be seen, the original illustration - and Ping's rendition of it - depict Sir Geoffrey astride his caparisoned warhorse - being handed a golden Great Helm and lance - by his wife Agnes, whilst his Daughter-in-Law Beatrice waits to hand him his shield. All of the figures are clothed in their respective liveries - which also display the Luttrell Coat-of Arms freely on almost every conceivable surface - including the dexter side (right) of his female relatives ( which was customary, at that time - circa 1320)..

So it was with these illustrations in mind, that I set to thinking once again .............Now, just how could I get to own something like that???

Well - I first began looking at various knight Toy Soldiers - and eventually - a Timpo mounted figure on horseback seemed to offer a reasonable chance of converting to something like what I wanted - with several modifications along the way. I found a version of "Ivanhoe" - from their old "knights In Armour" range dating from the 1950's - and this was to become the basis for my set. Here's one I found on the Internet, below.

Clearly - a bit of work needed to convert him - but the basic shape seemed to be okay for what I wanted to do.

A recent visit to Dorset Soldiers - with a prior interchange of e-mails to explain what I wanted - with Giles Brown, the owner - and I returned with many of the bits and pieces that might help me make up my own version of Luttrell et al.

Both horse and rider are seperate pieces - so I tackled the horse first. I removed all four legs ( which were a little short), and after straightening and lengthening three - and putting a bent knee into another - re-pinned them back to the body - to appear as a standing horse. At the same time - I lengthened the horse caparison, by using some pill blister pack foil - cut to suitable lengths and reinforcing with Milliput. The fan shaped display on top of the horses head - came from "The Spare parts Department" of Dorset Soldiers - whilst the saddle cantle was raised by using some more Milliput. The whole thing was then primed - ready for painting.

Next came Luttrell - who quickly lost his head - to be replaced by another "spare" from an Archer - who was wearing a basinet (as the original was). The right arm was originally cast-in by Timpo - with hand on hip (so that a lance could be held there - see above). i removed this - and then pinned it back on - so it would appear that Sir Geoffrey was reaching for his helm from his wife Agnes. Other parts came fro Dorset - or were fabricated/modified by me from bits and pieces in my Spares store box. The figure was then sprayed with primer.

The two women were both castings of "Medieval Ladies" by Dorset Soldiers - both coming with tall conical hats. I kept one as it was - just because I liked it, to become Beatrice - but removed the other hat from his wife Agnes, and resculpted the head with help of mini-saw, scalpel and Milliput. Lance, helm and shield were more Dorset spares - and the arms of both women were modified to suit their respective figures.These final two figures were then primed - and a base made up in a suitable shape to hold them all in similar positionsto Ping's masterpiece - BUT - not yet fixed in place - as I wanted to paint them all first.

All figures were then painted separately - as it would be difficult - if not impossible - to do it after all were in their eventual places. I used mostly Humbrol enamels - with some Revell colours BEFORE they were eventually fixed in place on the base. Final touch-ups were done once they were fixedin place - and Voila! - I now own MY version of sir Geoffrey Luttrell getting ready to joust - with his wife and daughter-in-law's assistance.

Here's the first couple of pics. of what I produced - with more in the next post. :D:Djb ( to be continued).

Another view:

Excellent piece, John! I love how you conceived it and then how you brought to life. And I also like it as an homage to Ping's work. Well done, man! You've earned yourself a case of stout ;)

Prost!
Brad

Amazing bit of work Johnny! I love your ability to bring a set together and tell a story while doing it! I hope you are now settled in to the new home and I am looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Dave

JB, I haven't commented on your wonderful works in quite awhile and I'm always looking. This piece is most excellent!

Hi Brad - cheers - glad you like him. No stout here at the moment ( sad to say) so I had a couple of glasses of a good red vino instead!:D

Hi Dave - still looking - PM sent!

GFB - haven't forgotten you buddy - I have a hollow Mountie figure for you - which was cast by Giles Brown of Dorset Soldiers - when I visited last week. I had a go - but was useless - just couldn't get the hang of it myself.

Look up Johillco mountie for a preview!

I will probably do a thread about it before long - then paint them ( he did another for me:D ) and then I'll send a signed one to you!

Glad you like this one too.

jb:salute::

P.S Varnish was still wet when photos were taken - so will need to harden properly - then I'll tidy the piece up a bit.

Hi JB,

Superb thread! I enjoyed the storyline leading up to the finished piece.

I have a question - the picture shows the charges to be in black but you have painted these in white?

Rgds

Victor

Hi JB,

Superb thread! I enjoyed the storyline leading up to the finished piece.

I have a question - the picture shows the charges to be in black but you have painted these in white?

Rgds

Victor

Yes. As did Freddy Ping - as it is the correct colour for both the bend and Martlets. Don't forget that the original book was made around 1320- 1330 - so is close to 700 years old now. Sir Geoffrey's blazon describes the charges as "argent" - so therefore white/silver in modern day parlance. I also referred to several other sources - some of which had the colour in yellow ( so - "or") - but this was a mistake for Sir Geoffrey - and refers to later Ancestors of his.

Maybe the pigments used for a silvery white in the original picture have degraded - to end up showing as black on a modern photograph??

The blazon is stated quite clearly in several sources as a field of azure with a semee of martlets around a bend all in argent. Here's another pic that I found whilst researching the three different Coats of Arms used for this little vignette - which also shows clearly the devices on the "sisnister" ( left) side of his wife, Agnes Sutton - and his daughter-in-law Beatrice Scrope. I really enjoyed painting their frocks - as I rarely find female medieval figures to paint. Thankfully, Giles had some.:D

There is also an interesting web-site put up by the British Library - where you can see facsimile pages of the book - and actually turn the pages - which is well worth a look - though a smattering of Latin is advisable - if you actually want to read it!!

BUT - the illustrations are the Stars of the show - and you can find the page showing Sir Geoffrey there too.

http://www.bl.uk/onlinegallery/sacredtexts/luttrellpsalter.html

Theis pic was most useful to me - but as usual, unascribed - so don't know who actually produced it, unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back