The Mysterious Sea People (1 Viewer)

Hi Fellas,

I'm looking for some help from you history buffs out there.

I recently got into TG's Ancient Egypt theme (some really ornate figures I might add) and did some reading about the mysterious Sea People of the Mediterranean.

In looking at TG's existing "ancient collections", I'm wondering if any warriors from ancient Greece or "enemies of Rome" could be utilized as Sea People. Even in reading about their history and where they came from, information is somewhat unclear.

In the absence of actual TG Sea People, would any other theme/sub-theme work? Would appreciate hearing your thoughts. :confused:

Hi Rob

Your suggestions are not rally appropriate from a purist perspective I am afraid. Not a lot is known about the Sea Peoples with vague references from Egyptian and Hittite writings. It seems they were the Bronze Age Vikings raiding and putting the fear of God into the then established civilizations. Apart from Egypt the other old Empires collapsed in around 1300 BC and the Mediterranean and Middle East world entered a Dark Age re establishing empires and kingdoms from around 800 BC. We know the Egyptians were the only empire to successfully stand up to the Sea Peoples but for a time was crippled by their efforts.

Where they come from nobody knows but Egyptian sources point to seven peoples potentially coming together. Were they from places further west such as Sardinia, Italy or western north Africa or the more northern steppe lands - we simply don't know. They could have been disgruntled slaves rising up against the old kingship rule. But we know they caused havoc and were a contribution to the main empires collapsing. Earthquakes, climate change and over population may also have impacted.

Your little warriors will need to be bronze age and the closest we currently have is JJD's Troy range due to come out. They will be of the right period at least and one suspects your warriors will need to represent a rag tag band of hardened ancient pirate warriors.

But then what do I know - it is all guess work and conjecture and you can play with your figures however you like!

Gary

Thanks Gary. I appreciate your thoughts on the subject. Our hobby really broadens one's knowledge of history.
I'm still looking at TG's existing ancient collection admiring all of the exquisite detailing.

I am sorry but I don't agree with Gary, in fact the Egyptians weren't great navigators or colonizers by sea, but rather people of land.

Instead, the Phoenicians were the first mediterrean superpower who founded important colonies such as Carthage..( true that they collapsed on 1200 BC).

phoenician.jpg

Rob

Do a search for Medinet Habu, Temple of Ramesses III which has a huge carved stone reliefs of this Pharaoh defeating the Sea Peoples in Battle. There are many modern artists who have done colour illustrations. To me the most distinctive thing about the Sea People is the headwear. Which of course may have been popular with some Sea People it wouldn't of course of been standard on them all, the way say, US army helmets are same.

Steve

I am sorry but I don't agree with Gary, in fact the Egyptians weren't great navigators or colonizers by sea, but rather people of land.

Instead, the Phoenicians were the first mediterrean superpower who founded important colonies such as Carthage..( true that they collapsed on 1200 BC).

View attachment 281532

This doesn’t sound like it matches what Gary was saying. I believe he said the Egyptians survived the Sea People’s and other calamities during this period. The Phoenicians rise to dominance afterwards, although they may have been influenced or descended from the Sea Peoples. Again, we don’t know a lot.

This doesn’t sound like it matches what Gary was saying. I believe he said the Egyptians survived the Sea People’s and other calamities during this period. The Phoenicians rise to dominance afterwards, although they may have been influenced or descended from the Sea Peoples. Again, we don’t know a lot.

Strange reply as I never mentioned the Egyptians were great seafarers or that the Phoenicians weren't. Contemporary historical theory concluded that only Egypt survived as a viable empire after around 1200 - 1100 BC with the establishment of Carthage probably by the Phoenicians in around 500 BC when the rise of Greece, Macedonia, Persia and eventually Rome dominated the Eastern Mediterranean. The other older Empires (I use this term generally to describe cultures) such as Mycenean, Hittite, Assyrian and Minoan all faded at around the same time. But we know so little but it is a fascinating time in history and if a toy soldier manufactures did some Sea People's I would be all in.

9781472806833_27.jpg

The Sea Peoples I believe assaulted Egyptians on land and virtually were destroyed. Very interesting period as many kingdoms fell. Many believe there was some kind of natural disaster like a major earthquake or volcanic eruptions.
Mark

The Sea Peoples I believe assaulted Egyptians on land and virtually were destroyed. Very interesting period as many kingdoms fell. Many believe there was some kind of natural disaster like a major earthquake or volcanic eruptions.
Mark
Mark - I concur that it was probably not just the Sea People's that facilitated to the loss of ancient empires. Natural disasters may well have contributed (or even played a more significant role). Yes there is some narrative about Sea People's land offensives against Egypt as well as the Battle of the Delta when Sea People's ships were lured into the Nile delta and destroyed by Egyptian archers on shore and potentially by fire ships.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl9RaHE9ZpI

Figures from the Trojan War would work as Sea People. Archaeology has connected the Mycenaean Greeks with the Philistines who are considered to be members of the Sea Peoples confederation.

Hi Fellas,

I'm looking for some help from you history buffs out there.
I recently got into TG's Ancient Egypt theme (some really ornate figures I might add) and did some reading about the mysterious Sea People of the Mediterranean.

In looking at TG's existing "ancient collections", I'm wondering if any warriors from ancient Greece or "enemies of Rome" could be utilized as Sea People. Even in reading about their history and where they came from, information is somewhat unclear.

In the absence of actual TG Sea People, would any other theme/sub-theme work? Would appreciate hearing your thoughts. :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back