The purpose of the fur-lined backpack? (1 Viewer)

Artemii

Private
When I watch the movie "The Last of the Mohicans" (1992), I'm always interested in one question.
There is a scene, during the first act of the movie, where the Hurons ambush the company of the 60th Regiment, and in that scene the british soldiers carry backpacks that are trimmed with white fur. It looks very stylish and cool. However, I did not see anywhere else the images of soldiers who wore white-fur-bearing backpacks. Does anyone know what fur was used for on that backpacks? And did the British soldiers really wear such backpacks with fur during the French-Indian war, or any other war, that involved The British Empire?
xjGkBDUmOY8.jpg
88PgL2wmf4Q.jpg
MG3d3GH0lB8.jpg

Ah, OK, fur-covered, not fur-lined.

Yes, the British Army, and the Prussians, and most of the other armies at that time, used knapsacks made from untanned hides. In the case of the Prussian army, the new recruit was required to bring an untanned calf hide when he first reported for duty. It was laid up in the company's stores for replacement purposes.

Depending on the animal that provided the hide, you could have some fur left, of varying lengths and with varying colors and patterns.

Prost!
Brad

Here is a close up of an Austrian backpack from the Napoleonic era, taken in the Austrian Army Museum in Vienna.

You can see the use of the hide, complete with hair remaining, so the British packs are similar, but different shapes.

backpack.jpg

John

These white goatskin knapsacks were in use in the British army from the late 1760s to sometime in the 1790s. One of the first depictions I am aware of was in a watercolor by Paul Sandby dated about 1767, so post French and Indian war, but they may have been in use earlier. This study is thought to have been from life, so is accurate.

John Jeffreys painted a Foot Guards musician wearing the 1768 uniform and wearing a brown long haired, probably highland goat knapsack, although the painting is thought to date to about 1797.

There is also an oil painting of Captain John Clayton Cowell of the Foot guards dated 1796-7 with an enlisted man in the background wearing this style knapsack.
These two paintings were done by artists that may have used props, it is hard to say for sure as far as dating.

It is a period of transition however as the Edward Dayes watercolors dating to 1792 show all three regiments of guards and the first 7 regiments of foot using the painted canvas double envelope knapsacks with regimental devices painted on the flaps. I trust these watercolors as they were commissioned to be painted by an officer of the guards, however they may represent the new equipment and in the eighteenth century, the transitions could be slow.

I hope this helps.
Ken

One of the things that irritates me the most about "historical fiction" shows like the History Channel's Vikings is all the post-apocalyptic biker wear that masquerades as clothing or armor. Leather and other hides were not that common a material for clothing and was actually quite valuable. People weren't going around and killing valuable livestock all that often until 19th century.

This seems to support that. Thanks for asking the question, and thanks for the great answers.

I have just found a few photos of this knapsacks being recreated nowadays, the decription says it's 18th century British Army goatskin knapsack
tumblr_nxplc85R0s1qbrih3o1_1280.jpg
tumblr_nxplc85R0s1qbrih3o4_1280.jpg

One of the things that irritates me the most about "historical fiction" shows like the History Channel's Vikings is all the post-apocalyptic biker wear that masquerades as clothing or armor. Leather and other hides were not that common a material for clothing and was actually quite valuable. People weren't going around and killing valuable livestock all that often until 19th century.

This seems to support that. Thanks for asking the question, and thanks for the great answers.

That's why I don't watch the History Channel. They've long been marked as relatively inaccurate, as well as superficial.

I remember seeing a piece they did on Boudicca that was more like a rock video than a historical re-enactment.

Prost!
Brad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back