The Texas Toy Soldier Show Symposiums (2 Viewers)

SGT Rock

Private 2
With this being the Saturday night of Memorial Day weekend, I’m feeling nostalgic for what I think was by far the best toy soldier show of them all – The Texas Toy Soldier Show. I feel that way because it was just so much more than a toy soldier show. In addition to the two days of the show itself, there was the pre-show happy hour on the Friday night before the show, which always had a clever theme, the girls from Mad Dogs, and great company (especially Laura Nielsen’s kids, Jamie and Honor). But, the event I always enjoyed most of all was the Saturday Night Symposium. In addition to the delicious Mexican food served up by the Menger Hotel and a free K&C dinner figure, Andy and the crew at KingsX always lined up some really fascinating speakers. If memory serves (and please correct me if it doesn’t), the Texas Toy Soldier Show historical symposium lineup is as follows:

2012: Richard Walker (W. Britains), Nick Versteeg (TSSD), Matt Murphy (Hobby Bunker), Thor Johnson (AeroArt) and Andy Nielsen (King and Country)
2013: Doolittle Tokyo Raider Dick Cole
2014: John Wayne Impersonator and Nicholas Cameron (Crown Miniatures)
2015: Military Movies with Dale Dye and Daniel Martinez
2016: No Symposium
2017: No official symposium, though Daniel Martinez and Andy Nielsen spoke at an event that was organized by two collectors
2018: Capt. Ray Lau

If I had to pick a favorite, it had to be the 2013 symposium that featured Dick Cole, who was actually Jimmy Doolittle’s copilot on the famous Doolittle Raid. That I was able to meet someone who was a part of such a pivotal event in the history of WWII is something that will live with me always. My friend Steven Bell and I actually had drinks with him and his daughter after the show at the bar in the Menger Hotel. (For what it’s worth, his drink of choice was a Blue Moon.) And later that same year, I was able to see Dick Cole open an 1893 bottle of Moet Hennessy at the Air Force Museum in Dayton, OH as part of the Doolittle Raiders Final Toast.

Followed by Dick Cole, my second favorite symposium had to be Military Movies with Dale Dye and Daniel Martinez. I’ll always remember Dale Dye and the roles he played in both Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers, and how he famously prepared the actors for their roles in each. So, hearing him speak and meeting him was a huge thrill. As well, Daniel Martinez has always been a fixture on the History Channel, especially on Pearl Harbor day where you’ll see him interviewed on virtually every special commemorating the event. I’m now happy to include Daniel and his pal Bernie Doyle among my friends. So, how about you, what were your favorite symposiums and what were some of your favorite memories of the Texas Toy Soldier Show?

yes...
I'm missing it too...
but if it were held this weekend...
I wouldn't have gone...

I was at all of the shows you mentioned...

Captain Dale Dye was my favorite from that group...

hope there will be one next year...somewhere...^&grin

I miss going to the show too. It was always great to see guys like Gary Bedel, Jack Edmondson, Ed Gannon, ect.. I did enjoy the shows with Col. Cole and Dale Dye. I will always be thankful for Nick Versteeg for starting the TEXAS show and Andy at King and Country for keeping it going. Hope we will have another TEXAS show next year.

Besides getting tossed out of the menger,,Kings x closed the store,,.looks like the thread and the SHOW have no interest,,amazing not one venue in all of texas

Besides getting tossed out of the menger,,Kings x closed the store,,.looks like the thread and the SHOW have no interest,,amazing not one venue in all of texas
Sorry to hear that. What happened to make them shut down? I know there are some Texas collectors interested in putting together a Texas show, but "Covid" stopped it last year and this year. Now that things are getting back to normal, maybe a Texas show can happen soon.

Sorry to hear that. What happened to make them shut down? I know there are some Texas collectors interested in putting together a Texas show, but "Covid" stopped it last year and this year. Now that things are getting back to normal, maybe a Texas show can happen soon.

They didn't shut down the store, they moved it.

The Menger hotel got too pricey for the show, so it ended.

Venues keep raising their prices while providing the same (or worse) service, it happened to our local MA (Woburn) show as well.

Hotels would rather rent out function space to weddings, family reunions, birthdays, etc, etc, as there is food and beverage sales on top of the room rental fee, there is non of that at a toy soldier show.

Running a show is no day at the beach, it's a constant back and forth between the promoter and the venue, I know a promoter here on the East Coast who is at the end of his rope in dealing with hotels and all the nonsense that entails.

Running a show in Texas; it's a huge state, so where does it land? The San Antonio location was perfect, a true destination spot to begin with, San Antonio/the Alamo/the riverwalk is a great location, much like Gettysburg is, a true destination spot where a show can prosper.

It's 2021 and we're coming out of this COVID shitshow, so we'll see what happens with current shows.

Not going to say anymore on the subject, don't want to tork off another collector who takes offense to my comments about shows, God forbid I express my opinion.....................................:rolleyes2:

Shows are transitioning into a relic of the past and Covid accelerated the transition from in store to online shopping. For example, before the pandemic the transition to online shopping was accelerating at the rate of 1% per year, reaching around 18% by 2020. Eight weeks after the pandemic hit, that number had increased to 28%, a phenomenal increase. Since then (that was a year ago), the number has probably continued to increase. Does that mean shows are dead? No but the decline in shows and exhibitors will continue to decrease.

Shows are transitioning into a relic of the past and Covid accelerated the transition from in store to online shopping. For example, before the pandemic the transition to online shopping was accelerating at the rate of 1% per year, reaching around 18% by 2020. Eight weeks after the pandemic hit, that number had increased to 28%, a phenomenal increase. Since then (that was a year ago), the number has probably continued to increase. Does that mean shows are dead? No but the decline in shows and exhibitors will continue to decrease.

Look no further than Amazon, they used to have small vans on the road, now they have larger vans and also are rolling out the larger trucks like Fed Ex/UPS use.............................online business is booming for everyone.

I'm spending north of 5K a year on boxes/packing peanuts/packing tape, etc, etc...................just crazy, but crazy good.

When we moved to Taunton back in 2005, there was a huge mall 5 minutes from here, always crowded, loaded with people, Macy's at one end, Best Buy in the middle, Sears on the other end....................................Macy's went out first, then Best Buy, then Sears..................I went there about a year and a half ago, the entire second floor of the mall was vacant, never seen anything like it, the stairs and escalators were closed/roped off.....................the mall is now closed, it was bought and is being converted over to.....................a huge Amazon distribution center.

Howdy Fellas,

I wanted to set the record straight that Kings X was not "tossed out of the menger" nor have we "closed the store". We made the decision to move out of The Menger Hotel due to the construction taking place in the plaza which had dramatically changed the foot traffic to shop. If you're familiar with the shop, there is a street that runs right in front of it then the plaza is just across that street...closed! Not only was it closed, but tall fencing with tarps was placed all around the former street and the plaza. You could no longer walk out of the shop and head to The Alamo on your right. The list goes on and on really as to why we left and if you give me a call or email I'd have no problem discussing it with anyone.

Amazingly enough, Kings X has not closed at all. We are shipping out orders daily as well as receiving new releases as they are available. I am truly thankful to Andy and Mrs. Johnson that have kept me in a job this entire pandemic. Most of all, I am thankful to all of you collectors who have placed orders throughout 2020. Even if you couldn't order, many collectors called in just to check in on us and our families. Thank you so much! I often tell folks that I'm the luckiest woman in the world to have a job that I wake up and look forward to each morning.

As George mentioned its no walk in the park to organize a show and with a pandemic looming over head I can't imagine. Kudos to Roger and the crew that are working to have the Chicago Show this fall. As another forum member mentioned there was talk of a group of collectors putting together a Texas show, but I would imagine the pandemic upended that. I personally wish whomever decides to take on the reins of a Texas Show the best of luck. We've got our hands quite full with the renovation of new shop.

Have a wonderful Memorial Day from myself, Mrs. Johnson and Andy! Thank you to each collector who has served their military!

Best from Texas,

Amber Martinez-Garcia
Kings X Toy Soldiers
(210) 226-7000

Howdy Fellas,

I wanted to set the record straight that Kings X was not "tossed out of the menger" nor have we "closed the store". We made the decision to move out of The Menger Hotel due to the construction taking place in the plaza which had dramatically changed the foot traffic to shop. If you're familiar with the shop, there is a street that runs right in front of it then the plaza is just across that street...closed! Not only was it closed, but tall fencing with tarps was placed all around the former street and the plaza. You could no longer walk out of the shop and head to The Alamo on your right. The list goes on and on really as to why we left and if you give me a call or email I'd have no problem discussing it with anyone.

Amazingly enough, Kings X has not closed at all. We are shipping out orders daily as well as receiving new releases as they are available. I am truly thankful to Andy and Mrs. Johnson that have kept me in a job this entire pandemic. Most of all, I am thankful to all of you collectors who have placed orders throughout 2020. Even if you couldn't order, many collectors called in just to check in on us and our families. Thank you so much! I often tell folks that I'm the luckiest woman in the world to have a job that I wake up and look forward to each morning.

As George mentioned its no walk in the park to organize a show and with a pandemic looming over head I can't imagine. Kudos to Roger and the crew that are working to have the Chicago Show this fall. As another forum member mentioned there was talk of a group of collectors putting together a Texas show, but I would imagine the pandemic upended that. I personally wish whomever decides to take on the reins of a Texas Show the best of luck. We've got our hands quite full with the renovation of new shop.

Have a wonderful Memorial Day from myself, Mrs. Johnson and Andy! Thank you to each collector who has served their military!

Best from Texas,

Amber Martinez-Garcia
Kings X Toy Soldiers
(210) 226-7000
amber@kingsx.com
So, where did you move to? Glad to see you are still open. There are shows starting to make comebacks, so maybe the Texas show will do so as well in some form or another.

So, where did you move to? Glad to see you are still open. There are shows starting to make comebacks, so maybe the Texas show will do so as well in some form or another.

Hi there,
The shop is in the Alamo Heights neighborhood of San Antonio. It's give or take about a 15 minute drive north of downtown San Antonio which will make us closer to the airport. The space is undergoing a full renovation and is getting closer to completion. With ongoing construction the timeline is pretty fluid so we haven't a definite opening date just yet. I'll be sure to post on the K&C board when we've got an opening date. Maybe you'll be able to give us a visit the next time you're in San Antonio.

Thanks,

Amber Martinez-Garcia
Kings X Toy Soldiers
(210) 226-7000

Taking a moment to remember that the last Texas show was 3 years ago today.

In some ways that seems like yesterday and in others it feels like it was a lifetime ago.......

I was hoping Matt (Hobby Bunker) was gonna do something...
but then Covid hit...
so I can understand how any effort for having one last year wouldn't get off the ground...
and honestly I wouldn't of attended last year if there was a show...

but if there is one next year this time...
I would attend as a vendor and buyer...

It was a great show that Andy and co. improved each year with age.

I sincerely hope that it continues one way or another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back