The Viet Nam range (1 Viewer)

Currahee Chris

Sergeant Major
I remember when FL announced this range and was definitely interested but held off as I didn't want to start another range. Saw them at the toy soldier shows and was definitely impressed- FL's style really made them stand out (would prefer to see the flashlight lense be a little more subdued rather than pure white but that's a minor gripe).

So I went ahead and jumped in and bought VN03 last week from TFT and he is proudly on a one man patrol in my display case here at the house. My collecting focus has shifted a bit- veering away a bit from Rome and moving more into the Teutonic's FL does along with strictly US Army 20th century figures from FL (and WB).

At any rate, I am going to enjoy this road. I do have very fond memories of all the Nam vets who trained me up to be a squad leader back in the day and I was instantly transported to those talks and crazy times with them when I pulled VN03 out of the box (though I don't recall serving with anyone from the 25th).

The 113 puts me in a quandary. That was the first AFV I ever trained on so there is a connection there but the cost is a little steep- may chose to go with TCS for that- who knows.

Either way, definitely won't be dropping $65 or so for NVA/VC troopers- just looking to score the good guys.

Another fantastic FL line for sure.

The range is great at the very least, still kicking myself for not getting one of the M-48 tank, the detailing in that was awesome..

I can’t say enough good about the First Legion Vietnam War line! While it is a limited series overall, it is nevertheless excellent! I got into the FL Vietnam range around a year ago when they released the M113s. I already collected a lot of FL’s WWII figures and have a lot of the K&C and TCS Vietnam items. I couldn’t decide between either of the two APCs and so got both. My only gripe on the M113s is that there were not more crew figures available, so I did my best with some of the tank riders… Curahee Chris, I’d definitely look into the FL M113s if you can. While they don’t have the interior details of the TCS version, and are much lighter weight in construction than the K@C M113s, they are MUCH better painted and weathered and scale perfectly with the FL figures.

Here are some pics of my vignette diorama with the FL M113s taken in March 2023. I’ve still got them in the same vignette diorama pictured, though 3-4 more figures have since been added. Hopefully this whets your appetite to delver further into this line 😎

IMG-0290.jpg

IMG-0293.jpg

IMG-0299.jpg

IMG-0300.jpg

IMG-0303.jpg

Chris,

I wouldn’t wait too long on the 113s as they are retired and sold out at FL. However, Treefrog does have a couple of each left. I learned my lesson with the Patton tank which sold out quickly. I think Matt said more releases are planned but I don’t recall what those are.

FL is the only Vietnam range I collect although I do have a couple of Figarti sets. I purchased a few TG figures, which aren’t bad but size wise don’t match with FL. I purchased a couple of K & C ones but didn’t like them so I sold them.

Brad and tmanthegreat

You guys are making life really difficult for me!!! {sm4} Looks like i might have to figure something out here to make room for that 113.....it is such an iconic piece of US Army history. I feel like the Huey was the iconic vehicle for Nam, followed by the 113- the Patton was an easy (but unfortunate) pass for me as it didn't seem as iconic of Viet Nam as the Huey and 113 did.

Brad and tmanthegreat

You guys are making life really difficult for me!!! {sm4} Looks like i might have to figure something out here to make room for that 113.....it is such an iconic piece of US Army history. I feel like the Huey was the iconic vehicle for Nam, followed by the 113- the Patton was an easy (but unfortunate) pass for me as it didn't seem as iconic of Viet Nam as the Huey and 113 did.

Sorry Chris!

I love your 'Nam dio and pictures, Tman! Ground cover looks amazing.

This one in esp. cool:

IMG-0293.jpg

The excellence of this range gives me hope that perhaps one day FL will tackle modern warfare in the GWOT. Abrams, Bradley's, Hummers, MRAP's,,,,,no Strykers please! {sm4}

The excellence of this range gives me hope that perhaps one day FL will tackle modern warfare in the GWOT. Abrams, Bradley's, Hummers, MRAP's,,,,,no Strykers please! {sm4}

Last year, First Legion started a “Modern Wars” line with the first entry being a Syrian T-62 tank from the Yom Kippur War in October, 1973. The T-62 is quite a nice model, though there’s no scaled Syrian tank crew or soldier figures to accompany the tank yet, so I used some FL Stalingrad Russians. Except for some minor details like the weapons, they look close enough 😉

IMG-0824.jpg

IMG-0829.jpg

IMG-0833.jpg

Last edited:
One of my two roommates when I was with the 5ID served with the 3AD (Spearhead) and got blown out of the drivers hatch of his 113 when he ran over a landmine as Desert Storm kicked off and they moved into Kuwait- pretty sure he said it was the opening night of the War. He got bruised up a little but otherwise was ok. He was part of a Vulcan ADA unit supporting the armored push.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back