Timpo thoughts (1 Viewer)

larso

Sergeant Major
I've said somewhere here that I think Zulu/24th Foot was Airfix's 'missed' range, one that would've sold great with those movies hyping the topic.

I think for Timpo, it might've been the Crimea. They had excellent horses and it wouldn't have taken much to do plain plastic cavalry (Light Bde etc) and infantry. Also, these figures could've then been used for the Indian Mutiny as well. NZ wars too come to think of it.

Late now. I never liked the Timpo swoppets. Britains were more realistic and more available when I was a kid. I have a large collection of Timpo Napoleonic repros and if any new time periods had been added, the sculptor for the Waterloo Highlanders did the best work.

My biggest miss with the Timpo line was the lack of Napoleonic French line infantry. They made the British line and highlanders but only French Imperial guard figures. Even at that the guard figures are not in correct uniform.

The Prussian infanrty is very useful as earlier Russian infantry as I have seen many people have them painted up as such.

I am very pleased with their cavalry from that line however. Three different types of cavalry units in one pose each with easy conversion possibilities. Again the uniforms of some were a bit off and the French had two types of lancer and a chausser but no heavy cavalry. As far as I know they are the only French line lancers and chaussers in 1/32 scale in a solid pose, which adds to the variety of unit types I can put into action.

I agree that the Highlanders were the best sculpts of the bunch. Some of the poses were not the standard choice for most companies. Good job on those.

When I think of Timpo......Swoppets pop in my mind first!
I totally loved there 7th Cav as a kid, plus Indians and Mexicans.
There other ranges were good too...but found it odd they had no opposition? Were there Romans supposed to fight there Vikings?
Crusaders and Great Helm Knights I suppose could just fight each other!

Yes, there were some odd gaps in the range. It's particularly strange they never did a set of Celts and a Boudiccea on a chariot. The overmolding technique would've been able to do gold neck torques and probably blue woad tattoes (given the detail on the last cowboys and cavalry). Surely a Druid would've made it in their too. I imagine they would've sold well all across Europe.

I heard there were plans for Saracens to oppose the Crusaders, so it's stranger Timpo did a second, more detailed Crusader lot instead.

While the Vikings were my favourites, the Western range was wonderful. The buildings and other accessories were superb! Cowboys, cavalry, Indians, Mexicans and those excellent Apaches! Their poses were a bit static but their faces and clothing were perfect in my mind.

The Great Helm knights were brilliant too. I think these were intended as War of the Roses but they were usable Europe wide. The missing elements here were men-at-arms, particularly archers.

To me, Timpo was the best of all the plastic companies.

I had the crusaders as a child. I loved them. However, I always felt timpo, for their single piece molding (their Napoleonic range sets, of which there were 4?) were off in the anatomical ratio of upper and lower torso. They are short/long wasted. The waist to head vs waist to feet ratio was not right. Rifles were blockish and poses somewhat stiff.

Agree...love the Vikings...compared to other plastics at the time they, and Herald, were great.

Timpo Vikings_Small.jpgTimpo Crusaders_Small_01.jpgTimpo Crusaders_Small_02.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back