vandilay

Sergeant Major
Hi Guys
I was just wondering if their are any tommy atkins collectors out their,I have
stumbled across their ww 1 line on a toy soldier website and was wondering
how they measure up against other glossy companys of that period i.e britains
premier.The website has photos ,but they never realy give you a feel for
how they stack up.
I,d apreciate any input before I part with my hard earned rubels !
I,m particularly interested in the ww 1 scots sets.

cheers Rob

Hi Guys
I was just wondering if their are any tommy atkins collectors out their,I have
stumbled across their ww 1 line on a toy soldier website and was wondering
how they measure up against other glossy companys of that period i.e britains
premier.The website has photos ,but they never realy give you a feel for
how they stack up.
I,d apreciate any input before I part with my hard earned rubels !
I,m particularly interested in the ww 1 scots sets.

cheers Rob

I found some at a show and found them a little smallish for 54mm. Also, some of the dealers say ,that they are difficult to get stuff from........I have tried to buy certain pieces from a couple of dealers that they were out of stock, with reorders taking forever.....Michael

Hi Michael
Thanks,I was after something I could display with my premier guys
so I might give them a miss.
I bought a set from toy army workshop a while back on e bay ,and
found the same thing.
The figures where just to small [with vehicles it probably wouldnt have mattered].
One of these days I,ll get to a shop/show and see some of these manufactures first hand.[none in nz that i know of]With the exception of regal,but they pretty much just sell their own line.
The hunt for ww 1 glossys continues:eek:
cheers Rob

i481 Check out this sellers stuff on ebay.# 160041128287 He has quickly become my favorite source for WW1 figures. Wonderful, unique poses and super painting. Just do not get in my way, if I am bidding on something...:D Michael

Last edited:
Tommy Atkins WWI figures are a little small, and the earlier ones are a little primative. The Toy Army workshop stuff is also smaller than Britains Premier. Trophy WWI might work with it.

Hi Michael
Thanks for the link, I will check it out tonight.
I thought the saying was "all is fair in love and war and e bay auctions:D "
I will try and stay clear [I normally use`auction sniper so if you get knocked of in the last few secounds by a kiwi bidder youll know its me:p ]

Hi Louis
Thanks ,I,ve looked at trophy a number of times on e bay etc,but
i,ve never taken the plunge or seen their WW 1 stuff.
I,ll check out w m hockers site to see if I can locate a dealer,I dont
think any of the dealers i,ve bought from in the past stock them,
but I will double check .

cheers Rob

Hi Louis

Thanks for that,I ordered 3 sets tonight so hopefully they still have them in stock,
I,m looking forward to getting a first hand look at them.

cheers Rob

Guys

Let not us forget that Tommy Atkins is a small UK family business. These three guys make everything and paint everything.

Your paying for and waiting for Toy soldiers made the old way. John and his son's are great guys.

Please remember that we all dont have factories!!!!

Keep it traditional.

Tony Neville

For what its worth,

The Turners have picked up some other companies as well.

Here is the new(ish) primary website to look at all their ranges:

http://www.fusilier-miniatures.com/

The site is a bit difficult to navigate at first but you'll get it if play around for a while.

I am thinking of placeing an order as I have wholesale terms with them. They are making some tanks which I find really interesting. They are all metal too! Gotta be heavy.

Anyways, check out the site - I am sure you'll enjoy it.

Guys

Let not us forget that Tommy Atkins is a small UK family business. These three guys make everything and paint everything.

Your paying for and waiting for Toy soldiers made the old way. John and his son's are great guys.

Please remember that we all dont have factories!!!!

Keep it traditional.

Tony Neville

Hi Tony

One of the joys of the internet though isnt it,

you expect everything yesterday ;) .

I dont have a problem waiting,the only thing

that drives me slightly nuts is online shops that

dont have any of the items listed in their inventory.

If your going to do buisness this way youve got to be

at least reasonably up to date.

cheers Rob

For what its worth,

The Turners have picked up some other companies as well.

Here is the new(ish) primary website to look at all their ranges:

http://www.fusilier-miniatures.com/

The site is a bit difficult to navigate at first but you'll get it if play around for a while.

I am thinking of placeing an order as I have wholesale terms with them. They are making some tanks which I find really interesting. They are all metal too! Gotta be heavy.

Anyways, check out the site - I am sure you'll enjoy it.

Hi Gideon

I see what you mean about the site,bit of a mission at first
They have some nice looking sets though,
I liked the look of the gun teams and the SAS jeep
looked good although the picture wouldnt upsize on
my computer so its hard to get a good look at it.

Cheers Rob

The issue with Tommy Atkins and Fusiliers is that neither one does a particularly good job of restocking U.S. dealers' needs. I have tried for some 6 months to order sets from local dealers ( stateside ) only to be told that they are out of stock, still out of stock, with no idea, if they will ever get their orders. Of course, you could always order direct from overseas to wait months for an item you paid for and now have to factor in ,to your costs, what have become obscene international shipping charges....Both of these companies offer nice stuff, but usually to be seen and not ordered......Maybe a stateside dealer can chime in with their thoughts....Michael

There are two primary issues on this end:

1. Time of production &
2. Set numbering

Both are remarkably inconsistent.

While the Turners produce among the finest toy soldiers of all time (IMHO), they took over 9 months to deliver 40% of my last order.

Futher, their Tommy Atkins range does not offer figure numbering - just Woodland Indian with Rifle Running, Woodland Indian firing bow on Knee and so on.

It is really very frustrating. I invite anyone with patience to join me in an order but please be aware of the above mentioned. The reward is a wonderfull product - taking their time pays off in quality.

Oh, and their Highlanders and Jacobites are spectacular.

I saw the Fusilier Armored vehicles (Sherman Tanks, Tiger Tanks, Bren Gun Carrier) and jeeps (including an SAS Desert Jeep) at the Guards Museum Toy Solider Shop in London. They were really nice metal vehicles, well painted, but were too small to be compatible with K&C stuff (they were closer in size to Toy Army Workshop, a very small 54mm).

Hi guys

I got my Trophy sets the other day and they are a very good match
so thanks for the heads up,
Ironically I discovered a NZ company that does some great glossy
ww 1 sets, soldiers of the world/regal productions.I picked up a few
at the weekend and they are as good as any glossy figures i,ve seen.
They cover a lot of new zealand regiments such as the wellington
mounted rifles ,gallipoli kiwis and turks etc.[some nice aussie light horse figures aswell]
So its given the glossy side of my collection a good nudge.

cheers Rob

Hi guys

I got my Trophy sets the other day and they are a very good match
so thanks for the heads up,
Ironically I discovered a NZ company that does some great glossy
ww 1 sets, soldiers of the world/regal productions.I picked up a few
at the weekend and they are as good as any glossy figures i,ve seen.
They cover a lot of new zealand regiments such as the wellington
mounted rifles ,gallipoli kiwis and turks etc.[some nice aussie light horse figures aswell]
So its given the glossy side of my collection a good nudge.

cheers Rob

Rob,

I would be very interested in seeing some of the NZ company's figures. Am I correct in assuming that the company's name is Regal Productions? If I am not correct regarding the company's name, what is it? Do they have a website where I can view their products? Any information you can supply without going to any special trouble will be most appreciated!

Thanks for informing us about this company. It sounds as if they might have some great stuff for some of us to add to our collections!

Warmest personal regards,

Pat

Hi Pat

Yes the shop was regal productions, but all the figures I bought are from the 'soldiers of the world' range.I,m not sure why they have the 2 lines the next time I visit I will be sure to ask.
Here is a link to a US site that carries them, they had a realy nice range of
figures covering a wide range of conflicts with lots of individual poses.

They are located in greytown [about 1 hrs drive from wellington]and a stones throw from where imperial productions used to be.
It was great to be able to see stuff first hand,and I was able to pick and choose figures from any range to make a set,
Or buy individuals but as it was slightly cheaper to buy a set of five it didnt take much arm twisting:eek: .

I will try and post some pictures for you when I have a few more figures
but that could prove beyond my computer skills as last time I tried, I
had trouble with the size of the image.
cheers Rob

http://www.stockade-miniatures.com/catalogs/soldiers/toc.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back