Toys R Us Closing All Its Stores (1 Viewer)

ivanmoe

Command Sergeant Major
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...800-of-its-u-s-stores/?utm_term=.12431eaba9b5

So, the behemoth that swallowed so many local toy shops is itself consumed. There’s always Walmart, but the only real option for MOST buyers seeking a broader range of product is the Internet. In making that comment, am I wrong to suggest that WM carries a smaller selection of toys than does TRU?

To my mind, what’s a little unsettling is the prospect of the few remaining outlets becoming arbiters of what it is that’s fit for kids to play with. In digesting that comment, keep in mind that a lot of Americans CAN’T get a credit or debit card. They can’t shop online. Among those same folks are a LOT of single mothers. With a diminishing numbers of retail outlets, they face the prospect of higher prices and being steered into “politically acceptable” products (not that most will ever realize this is the case).

The old model of retailing appears to be dead. Apart from the ability to acquire good at an absolute bottom-dollar on the Internet, I can’t see much good in it.

-Moe

Moe,

For me Toy's R us was a symbolic icon for a kids Toy store. It is truly a shame they are shutting down.
The internet no doubt played it's part in lost revenue for the company.

Wayne

They had a few problems, one of which is $5 Billion in debt from a leveraged buy out a few years ago.

Second, a lot of their stores were old and needed refurbishing. When we shopped there, I never found it a kid friendly place; it was like shopping at Shop Rite but for toys. However, even Shop Rite and other grocery stores modernized themselves to become more consumer friendly. Toys R Us was actually more anti kid than anything. Except for the 30,000 employees who will lose their jobs and the impact that closing the stores will have on the local economies, I’m not disappointed to see them disappear; they didn’t adjust and paid the price.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...800-of-its-u-s-stores/?utm_term=.12431eaba9b5

So, the behemoth that swallowed so many local toy shops is itself consumed. There’s always Walmart, but the only real option for MOST buyers seeking a broader range of product is the Internet. In making that comment, am I wrong to suggest that WM carries a smaller selection of toys than does TRU?

To my mind, what’s a little unsettling is the prospect of the few remaining outlets becoming arbiters of what it is that’s fit for kids to play with. In digesting that comment, keep in mind that a lot of Americans CAN’T get a credit or debit card. They can’t shop online. Among those same folks are a LOT of single mothers. With a diminishing numbers of retail outlets, they face the prospect of higher prices and being steered into “politically acceptable” products (not that most will ever realize this is the case).

The old model of retailing appears to be dead. Apart from the ability to acquire good at an absolute bottom-dollar on the Internet, I can’t see much good in it.

-Moe
I don't think there is any question that the old is gone, but what will replace it remains an open question.

I attended a sculpting class with a visiting name in that art field last Sunday. I had not previously heard of the venue but it is located walking distance from the toy soldier shop in Brisbane. Thirteen of us in the class and in the next few rooms over 100 young gamers played noisily for the whole day consuming an array of products that included paints, figurines, books and 3D printed gaming pieces from an understated retail floor. This venue is out-of-the-way and obviously economical - and comprises largely non-retail floor space. But it's owners fear it is growing so fast that they are wanting to put the brakes on. They have been asked to open another one but cannot see their way clear to do so.
Whither to from here?

I am so glad we got to take our kids to the Toy-R-Us store in Times Square when it was there. That was fantastic! Even if you were an adult. Huge multi-story ferris wheel that kids and adults could ride; life size Jurrasic Park T-Rex; giant lego displays - Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, more... !
Lot of photos here
https://www.google.com/search?q=toy...gE&biw=1165&bih=509#imgrc=_&spf=1523044390987

It is really sad that young kids today will never get to experience that now.

Also took them to see FAO Schwartz while it was there up near Central Park. I never thought either of those toy stores would close. A shame.

Walt

Interestingly enough, the stores in Germany may find an investor and remain open. Germany has no Walmart ....

I am old enough to remember the fantastic independent toy and hobby stores of the 70's, where toy soldiers, model soldiers, model kits, imported play sets, puppets etc. abounded. A real kiddie wonderland for me.
Toys R Us utterly destroyed all of that, together with the sea of cheap, crappola toys that they pushed. I'm glad to see them go at last quite frankly.

I am old enough to remember the fantastic independent toy and hobby stores of the 70's, where toy soldiers, model soldiers, model kits, imported play sets, puppets etc. abounded. A real kiddie wonderland for me.
Toys R Us utterly destroyed all of that, together with the sea of cheap, crappola toys that they pushed. I'm glad to see them go at last quite frankly.

I could not agree more not to mention how rude the employees were, no personal connection there.

I have mixed feelings about the whole thing. I can't recall the last time I went into a "Toys-R-Us". Ours never carried anything I was interested in as far as my Toy Soldier Collection (the last being when they stopped carrying BMC sets). When I'd hear on one of the forums about this or that being offered at their Toys-R-Us I'd go in there and our local one didn't carry it. Perhaps there was no market.

I also remember Saturday trips to the local brick and mortar hobby and toy stores when I was younger. These appear to be fading fast. I get a kick out of waiting for an order to come in the mail but there is also a thrill to the immediate gratification of buying from a store. That appears to be a thing of the past.

And I can't help but resent Toys-R-Us for its part in speeding the demise of those old "Mom-n-Pop" stores even as we see Walmart and the Net share responsibility for the demise of Toys-R-Us. But we share part of the blame for that because we opt for convenience and even better prices by shopping online. And who can blame us?

I know there was a hobby shop in the mall in the largest city nearby. I visited looking for some things I needed fro a project I was working on and found they largely catered to controlled model airplanes. They had nothing I needed. I mentioned some areas I was in to and the proprietor seemed interested. A few months later I stopped by again. Again, nothing. I never went back.

A year or so later I was in the mall and noticed the place closed. This was even before the Net.

Supply and Demand is a double-edged sword.

I share Ivanmoe's concerns about the market being dictated to by a limited number of sellers. They can control the entire market and even culture. Just last week I read a blurb where certain credit card companies were floating an idea to force retailers to stop using their cards in gun sales. Now, maybe that's their right and maybe it is a noble cause. You may be for gun control or against it - that's not the point. And I don't want to hijack this thread in a political argument. I'm sick and tired of all that. But to the idea of moving more and more to the internet market and fewer brick and mortar retailers we find ourselves less and less in control as consumers of what we can choose to consume.

It's kind of scary to me as we become more and more dependent on our cards that one day those in charge of issuing those cards might dictate on a whim what we CAN or CANNOT buy with our money. You may cheer their part in limiting gun sales today, but what if those banks want to decide what kind of cars we drive, or whether we should use our cards to eat read meat because it's unhealthy? Where would it end?

I don't know so much that I mourn the loss of Toys-R-Us as much as I mourn the possibilities of what it may represent.

I find I share a lot of the same sentiments others have expressed in this thread. Although I haven't been to a Toys-R-US store in years, since the children are grown now, I feel bad for the current generation of kids. They won't get the experience of going to a dedicated toy store. I know how excited I was as a kid going to a small mom-and-pop toy store or model hobby store. There a lot of things this generation will never get to experience. Although I purchase toy solider and wargame figures online, I still love going to toy shows and wargame conventions. Nothing beats seeing collections in person and getting together with others who share the same hobby and interests. I know of only one independent hobby/toy store left in my area. Maybe without Toys-R-Us around this will give them a slight edge. I am hoping so anyway.

Walt

In April Toys R Us agreed to sell its Canadian stores to a Canadian investment firm.

In addition, they agreed to sell its Central European division to the Irish toy retailer Smyths.

Hell, the good ol' small hobby and toy shops were still present when I was a kid in Europe, and I'm not that old ; I think that good hobby shops and good military surplus shops look the same : they're a huge, messy place with model boxes or piles of jackets and belts stacked everywhere, and you don't just shop at these stores, you explore them! Sadly, both breeds are more or less extinct, and now, even the big brand toy stores are being closed... I hope I'll have nice places to bring my kids to in the future, because I'm afraid for the future when I visit today's toy shops and see only super expensive lego kits , super expensive Barbies and super expensive derived products from famous movies or series. Where are the Airfix kits for 4€?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back