TREES: Persians vs. Macedonians (1 Viewer)

zblang

1st Lieutenant
I am making a diorama for the First Legion Persians and Macedonians -
What type of trees would have been in the area on a battle field?

Thanks

No trees to speak of in Asia minor...

I don't think that generalization is valid. Anatolia is a large region, with several regional climate zones, and there are definitely trees of various kinds to be found, just as in other similar regions.

Zach, it may help if you have an idea of a particular battlefield, or even just a more specific location for your diorama.

Prost!
Brad

Not an area of history I really know. I am using the first legion Persians elephant and soldiers to battle the Macedonians.
So, wherever that would have happened 😀

Here is what I have so far.
I'm going to add a backdrop which will surely help, but it's just missing some height and I think it's boring.
It's the first time I've done my own terrain, so not the best, but for a first crack having no clue what i was doing, I'm not unhappy with the ground

fullsizeoutput_10ce-X2.jpg

I don't think that generalization is valid. Anatolia is a large region, with several regional climate zones, and there are definitely trees of various kinds to be found, just as in other similar regions.

Zach, it may help if you have an idea of a particular battlefield, or even just a more specific location for your diorama.

Prost!
Brad

I will be more specific then, the Persians used elephants at the battle of Gaugamela, 15 elephants or so.
The battle took place in modern northern Iraq. If you see images of the modern battlefield you will notice the absence of trees - assuming this was the case at the time that the battle took place.
I can be more specific and provide the names of the elephants :)

I will be more specific then, the Persians used elephants at the battle of Gaugamela, 15 elephants or so.
The battle took place in modern northern Iraq. If you see images of the modern battlefield you will notice the absence of trees - assuming this was the case at the time that the battle took place.
I can be more specific and provide the names of the elephants :)

OK, but that's a far cry from, "No trees to speak of in Asia Minor".

Not an area of history I really know. I am using the first legion Persians elephant and soldiers to battle the Macedonians.
So, wherever that would have happened 😀

You might want to do a quick web search on the real Alexander the Great and his campaigns, to give yourself some more ideas.

Prost!
Brad

Here is what I have so far.
I'm going to add a backdrop which will surely help, but it's just missing some height and I think it's boring.
It's the first time I've done my own terrain, so not the best, but for a first crack having no clue what i was doing, I'm not unhappy with the ground

fullsizeoutput_10ce-X2.jpg

Add a few bushes and some scatter, sand or whatever to cover the bases and it'll look just as good as a pro's .

Well done on having a go yourself Zach. They get better as you go on :salute::

Steve

I believe that Gaugamela was very much like the scene in Alexander and the producers got it pretty right. A sparse desert like landscape with low growing shrubs and hardly any trees. Greg.
attachment.php

If you review the literature on the battle, the location of the battle was without vegetation; the Persians wanted a flat and clear passage for their attack on Alexander. If you are looking for historical correctness, your diorama wouldn’t have bushes but it may be more pleasing to the eye to have some.

some more examples of their products...

Attachments

• 101_1841.jpg
    101_1841.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 191
  • River (2).jpg
    River (2).jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 199
  • s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 160

Users who are viewing this thread