Troy (1 Viewer)

arnhem44mad

1st Lieutenant
I've been thinking about getting into ancients but I'd really like to see a series focussing on the siege of Troy. Was it real? Was it not? Who knows but we have the Greeks so how about some Persians to make a shield wall. Maybe civilians running away from the Greeks who have managed to get inside the city with the Trojan horse?

Greeks running with torches and shooting flaming arrows towards Greek houses to burn!

It would be a fun series, Hector, Paris, Achilles, Helen of Sparta, Agamemnon, Ajax, Odysseus.

I love the scene with the Trojans arriving at the Temple of Apollo and being ambushed by the awaiting Greeks!

Scott

I've been thinking about getting into ancients but I'd really like to see a series focussing on the siege of Troy. Was it real? Was it not? Who knows but we have the Greeks so how about some Persians to make a shield wall. Maybe civilians running away from the Greeks who have managed to get inside the city with the Trojan horse

Greeks running with torches and shooting flaming arrows towards Greek houses to burn!

It would be a fun series, Hector, Paris, Achilles, Helen of Sparta, Agamemnon, Ajax, Odysseus.

I love the scene with the Trojans arriving at the Temple of Apollo and being ambushed by the awaiting Greeks!

Scott

I second that idea!
How about the classic scene of Achilles dragging the body of Hector behind his chariot.

I like the idea, but the Greeks we have are from 500 to 700 years later. It would be interesting to see their take on them.

The Siege of Troy would be a great and classic line to produce IMO. A wonderful illustrated reference of Greek and Trojan Arms and Armor from the period of the Trojan War about 1200 BCE is: The Ancient Greece of Odysseus by Peter Connolly. The drawings of Trojan fortifications are excellent and based upon excavations of the site. The reproduction of the Bronze Dendra Armor is shown and Chariots of the period.

The Russians have produced several figure castings of Ancient Greeks wearing Dendra style Bronze plate armor that is historically accurate. The figures are 1/32 made by St. George Cross. I have the #5005 figure and the casting is very well done with a Bores Tooth helmet and figure 8 shield.

The Siege of Troy would be a great and classic line to produce IMO. A wonderful illustrated reference of Greek and Trojan Arms and Armor from the period of the Trojan War about 1200 BCE is: The Ancient Greece of Odysseus by Peter Connolly. The drawings of Trojan fortifications are excellent and based upon excavations of the site. The reproduction of the Bronze Dendra Armor is shown and Chariots of the period.

The Russians have produced several figure castings of Ancient Greeks wearing Dendra style Bronze plate armor that is historically accurate. The figures are 1/32 made by St. George Cross. I have the #5005 figure and the casting is very well done with a Bores Tooth helmet and figure 8 shield.

Katana,
I think the figures that you are referring to are by
Saint George Cross. I have them although I made the mistake of not looking closely at the level of painting. (Maybe one day I will work on that.)
Nontheless, there is a gap that I would like to see filled with the epic characters of the Iliad.
LOD has plastic versions, but I don't paint and I like my spears to be straight. I managed to get the LOD Trojan horse. It is fantastic by the way! Their trireme looks good too but a printed version by LOD is a bit too pricey for the level of painting.
Still, the scene of Achilles dragging Hector's body would be incredible especially if done with the correct armor that you refer to.

I don’t think your initial question about whether the Siege of Troy actually took place — “was it real” — was answered. It’s part of Greek mythology and although many have written about it in Greek literature, the most famous work is Homer’s The Iliad.

I don’t think your initial question about whether the Siege of Troy actually took place — “was it real” — was answered. It’s part of Greek mythology and although many have written about it in Greek literature, the most famous work is Homer’s The Iliad.

Some believe that Trot was actually Turkey!

I enjoy Greek mythology...maybe even a figure of Medusa? The Minotaur? The hyrda? Jason and the golden fleece? Hercules?

Great excuse for s Tireme with Jason and the Argonauts?

Ancient Greek statue plinth which dofferent digures can be placed on tip kf, could be changed to Zeus, Hera, Athena, Aries, Apollo, Aphrodite, Hermes....

There is much scope for Ancient Greece!

Scott

Troy was first excavated by Heinrich Schliemann in1868. The site is located on the south west point of the Dardanelles strait; known as the Hellespont in classical times. 10 cities occupied the site dating from 3000 BCE to Roman times. The sixth occupation level is thought to coincide with the Trojan War. The period is coincident with the collapse of Bronze Age civilization in the Eastern Mediterranean caused by attacks by the Sea Peoples, who may have included Mycenaean Greek mercenaries.

Troy was first excavated by Heinrich Schliemann in1868. The site is located on the south west point of the Dardanelles strait; known as the Hellespont in classical times. 10 cities occupied the site dating from 3000 BCE to Roman times. The sixth occupation level is thought to coincide with the Trojan War. The period is coincident with the collapse of Bronze Age civilization in the Eastern Mediterranean caused by attacks by the Sea Peoples, who may have included Mycenaean Greek mercenaries.
Bravo!

Katana,
I think the figures that you are referring to are by
Saint George Cross. I have them although I made the mistake of not looking closely at the level of painting. (Maybe one day I will work on that.)
Nontheless, there is a gap that I would like to see filled with the epic characters of the Iliad.
LOD has plastic versions, but I don't paint and I like my spears to be straight. I managed to get the LOD Trojan horse. It is fantastic by the way! Their trireme looks good too but a printed version by LOD is a bit too pricey for the level of painting.
Still, the scene of Achilles dragging Hector's body would be incredible especially if done with the correct armor that you refer to.

There are a few figures around from that period Mike.

Take a look at some of "Alive History Miniatures" for example. I found them via Berliner Zinnfiguren, who carry some really nice kits of such figures. They come unpainted, of course, but can be painted by the purchaser, or a third party - if you really want them. Here's an example:

https://www.zinnfigur.com/en/Round-...e=search&searchparam=Alive history miniatures

There are a few figures around from that period Mike.

Take a look at some of "Alive History Miniatures" for example. I found them via Berliner Zinnfiguren, who carry some really nice kits of such figures. They come unpainted, of course, but can be painted by the purchaser, or a third party - if you really want them. Here's an example:

https://www.zinnfigur.com/en/Round-...e=search&searchparam=Alive history miniatures
That is a really nice set. Thanks for sharing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back