Uploading Photos Issue (2 Viewers)

Peter Reuss

2nd Lieutenant
Has anyone had problems uploading photos in the last day or so (not due to user error :))?

Someone is reporting that 'strange blocks' appear.

Pete,

I'm not having problems uploading but do have a problem of comatability of iPhone with Board software. Sometimes, I will take a photo with the iPhone and then upload it to a post. Invariably, the Board software with change the orientation so that the photo doesn't look right. Here's an example, http://www.treefrogtreasures.com/forum/showthread.php?42967-The-Relief-of-Chitral-1895/page2, at posts 20 and 21. Not sure you can do anything about it but just thought I'd mention it.

Thanks.

Brad

Has anyone had problems uploading photos in the last day or so (not due to user error :))?

Someone is reporting that 'strange blocks' appear.

Padre, do you mean specifically, using the upload feature, and not just linking in images stored elsewhere?

Let me test now. Here's an attached photo...

Attachments

• 4_1_AddedRibbon.jpg
    4_1_AddedRibbon.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 363
And here's a linked image, stored at Photobucket...

Mmmmmm--kiffels, aghlghlghlghlghlghlghlghlghlghlghlghlghlghlghlghlghlghl!

Sorry, got distracted.

Both of those methods appear to be working correctly.

Prost!
Brad

Hi Brad,

On the iPhone or iPad, I am not sure what is the problem you are facing. For myself, I am getting an image sizing that is too high a resolution to upload.

In order to resolve this, I will usually take the photo at a slight distance, then resize the area of interest larger (dropping the resolution) and then press the power and home button to crop it with an image capture. After that, I will use edit to rotate the image or to fine tune the crop. Quick and dirty way.

Thks,Chris

I am also getting this sizing issue. My jpeg files will not upload because they do not fit Treefrog's system limits. This is frustrating because the pictures Im taking are of toy soldiers, and so necessarily need to be up close and detailed. Thus Im not sure how it can be resolved. Consequently I am no longer uploading pictures from my digital camera, which I prefer, as it takes much better photos than my ipad or samsung smart phone.

I am also getting this sizing issue. My jpeg files will not upload because they do not fit Treefrog's system limits. This is frustrating because the pictures Im taking are of toy soldiers, and so necessarily need to be up close and detailed. Thus Im not sure how it can be resolved. Consequently I am no longer uploading pictures from my digital camera, which I prefer, as it takes much better photos than my ipad or samsung smart phone.

Try using a hosting site, instead of uploading image files. The other choice is to edit your files to change their size. I do both.

I use a Nikon Coolpix, which is a pretty basic camera; Photobucket, as a hosting site, and I edit my files with MS Paint, which comes free on Windows.

I download the image files from the camera to a laptop, access the Internet and upload the files to my account at Photobucket. From Photobucket, I get the image tags, a string of characters that I paste into a post somewhere else in the Internet, like here in the forum. Web browsers read that string of characters and retrieve the photo from Photobucket, and display them to other people viewing the page. The file size is not a factor in this process.

For files that I will attach to a post, or that I will load to an online gallery, like our galleries here, where a file limit comes into play, I use MS Paint to resize the file. I open the image file in Paint, and use the pixel count to adjust either the horizontal or vertical size--Paint automatically adjusts the other dimension proportionately. I save the change, and then I can upload the file into a post or a gallery at a website, in compliance with the site's restrictions.

For the camera, the hosting site and the image editing application, substitute your favorite products, they should all work similarly or the same, because of standardization throughout the market.

Hope that helps, prost!
Brad

I'm not having an issue per se, but every so often, this thing rotates my picture. I have no idea why or how to rotate it back. On my computer (the file itself) is rotated the correct way.

Anyone else have this issue?

I've run out of space on my photobucket account and am constantly frustrated by size restriction here. I would like to post directly from the file on my computer to the website, does anyone have an "easy" way to downsize pics to post?
Ray

I am getting exclamation warning after uploading each photo. It does not seem to upload properly. Is there any reason for this as I did not have this issue before. The file size is actually less than 200k.

Thks,Chris

The file size limit is about 100 kb, so that's likely the problem.

I know that 100 kb isn't as convenient for folks as I'd like, but the attachment files for this forum are massive even with the restriction. This is why a lot of folks use PhotoBucket or similar service to allow for larger photos.

Peter; I highly reccomend PICASA a free Google Image processing and archiving program. I have used it for over 10 years without a problem. I even get superb results processing astronomical images; which are demanding. The Picasa program allows you to resize an image for export to your My Documents file or any other file. I upload to Treefrog Treasures Forum from the selected file in any Windows OS. I am still using XP; as it runs well without problems. I switched to Android for Web browsing and E-mail for security.

I've run out of space on my photobucket account and am constantly frustrated by size restriction here. I would like to post directly from the file on my computer to the website, does anyone have an "easy" way to downsize pics to post?
Ray

I've always worked on Windows, and so, I use MS Paint to do basic editing on images, including resizing them. The application comes with the operation system, that is, it's free, which I like.

You can also edit the files on Photobucket; there are editing features built in to the page.

As far as your account goes, I also finally hit the limit for free storage. I decided to buy an account, taking the basic package for $49 a year.

Prost!
Brad

I've always worked on Windows, and so, I use MS Paint to do basic editing on images, including resizing them. The application comes with the operation system, that is, it's free, which I like.

You can also edit the files on Photobucket; there are editing features built in to the page.

As far as your account goes, I also finally hit the limit for free storage. I decided to buy an account, taking the basic package for $49 a year.

Prost!
Brad

Thanks Brad, I'll take another look, I have found that these programs while being versitile often offer too many options and I have trouble finding the proper resizing to the size to allow posting here.
Yes, I also am near breaking down to pay for expanded storage, I cleared alot of room by deleting images I posted on variious threads thru the years but I feel guilty as a historical record simply disappears from the threads past rendering them unusable/reviewable.
Ray

I feel your pain on the image size. I would LOVE to significantly increase it to allow for easier posting, but the size of the attachments folder for this forum continues to grow exponentially despite the size restriction. We have made the strategic decision not to archive old posts from the forum because there is a lot of good historical data out there, but that also means that the image file stay in place and take up room.

Test upload:

The only way that I could think of to get around the size restrictions was to email a photo to myself on my iPad, which allows me to select the size of the photo. Then I open up my email and save the restricted image to a new folder in my iPad photo library and this seems to work as shown below.

British camp at Dongola, Trophy Miniatures:

image.jpg

British Camel Corps featuring figures from Trophy, Red Box, Imperial Productions and some old Britains bringing up the rear:

image.jpg

Tonight I encountered the following issue: when trying to upload a couple of pictures, they showed up rotated at 90 degrees in the post while they look perfectly fine on my computer, in Word, etc. I tried everything but regardless they still ended up that way in the post editor, so I ended up not publishing my post :(...Not sure what is causing this issue since to date I never had such problems with the TFF...

Resizing

All PC come with a software, already insalled, called : Paint
Open it, click on the up/left logo, a small window open, choose load
Picture is on you screen, now choose resize, then choose pixels, max size is 680 long by 210 high, choose the value for long and automaticaly the value of high change, adapt you choice untill both values are below 680&210
then make a new save
Now you can upload the resized picture

Best

Users who are viewing this thread

Back