Uploading Photos (1 Viewer)

Peter Reuss

2nd Lieutenant
We have a forum member having issues uploading photos...it's a problem I can't seem to replicate. Anyone else facing it?

I click from computer, then choose the photo from computer

then hit upload, just times out, like I mentioned mate , never seen a box like this, before you chose a number of photos
quickly goes into the box then upload on to the page simple

forumphotoissues.jpg

Wouldn't you get this message if it's not the right type of file, e.g., jpg.

I just tried uploading a photo, in one of my galleries, and I had no problems, no error or warning messages. I will try uploading a file into a post.

OK, here's a photo uploaded and added as an attachment:

ADC5thIRfront.jpg

No errors or any other messages.

Can we find out more about the specific process he was following?

And Brad is right, the message is what we'd expect if the user had selected the wrong kind of file.

Also, what operating system and browser is he using? When was the last time he successfully uploaded a file to the forum? Has he had any updates to his OS or browser in that time, or any other changes, of which he's aware? Can we get a copy of the file he's trying to upload and try it ourselves?

Not to sidetrack but that is a great looking figure Brad. From the Frederick the Great period I assume.

Not to sidetrack but that is a great looking figure Brad. From the Frederick the Great period I assume.

Heh, thanks Brad, yes! Good eye. It's a Stadden, from the custom figure range. I especially liked the pose.

Prost!
Brad

Alright, I'm confused. To put pictures in a post I have always been using the "Insert Image" button. The placement of that button is second row, sixth from the right. I've been using that for ages, and that's the same exact button I use in a number of other forums. I've tried it in Chrome, Edge, and IE. Now, when I click it, the Insert Image window opens, but I am no longer able to upload images from my computer.

I cannot upload From URL because I use Google Photos and that service doesn't play well with others in that way. I've always had to download the picture, click on Insert Image, then Choose File from my computer and upload it.

So now that Insert Image From Computer doesn't work anymore, what's the proper way to put images in a post?

Hi There

To insert a picture from your computer this is how I have been doing it:

1. start a thread or make a reply to a post and open the dialogue box, scroll down the page and click on Manage Attachments

2. this will open a smaller page that will allow you to either click on the link to add files or if they were ones you have used before scroll through your other photos and drag one to the insert box number 2

3. if you need to add a new picture from you computer click on up load files from your computer / website then click Browse

4. This will open the file up load box for your computer. Select the photo and click open and if it is the right size it will upload to the attachments window and then click on insert it should up load the photo. Like this:

Attachments

• shanw the sheep.jpe
    shanw the sheep.jpe
    8.6 KB · Views: 215
I found that, thanks.

There's a number of significant differences between the Insert Image From Computer function and the Attachment function though.

With Insert Image From Computer I was able to select multiple pictures at once and upload them with a single click and that was it. Finished.

With Attachments, it is one at a time. Limit of five. Pictures must be 1500x1100 or smaller. Not 1100x1500 though, that's too large. Those numbers are fixed in that shape.

Can anyone tell me how I can take one of my pictures and keep the size at 1500 x 1100?

Nobody ever seems to answer this question.

I seem to be the only chump who can only upload low resolution pictures, yet others ( Martin and Brad for example) always seem to have sharp, focused Pix.

I'd like a sizing pictures for Dummies answer to this.Please.

Jim

Can anyone tell me how I can take one of my pictures and keep the size at 1500 x 1100?

Nobody ever seems to answer this question.

I seem to be the only chump who can only upload low resolution pictures, yet others ( Martin and Brad for example) always seem to have sharp, focused Pix.

I'd like a sizing pictures for Dummies answer to this.Please.

Jim

What are you taking pictures with?

I use an iPad or sometimes an iPhone.

Currently, I send the picture to myself via email. The email function allows me to choose a size for the photo, so I select a size and send the email.

Once the email is received, I save the image to my iPad and then move that image to an album that I call Resized Trophy Pix.

Then when I want to post a picture on this forum, I upload the picture from the Resized Trophy Pix album on my iPad. These pictures appear to be a little bit blurry/out of focus on this forum, whereas the higher resolution pictures look very sharp, focused and colorful.

At no step in this process can I constrain the size of any given picture to 1500 x 1100.

Jim

Jim

I am no expert but have recently been exploring the potential of the iPad camera which takes surprisingly good pictures if handled carefully. It seems particularly good at taking close ups of fairly small objects but the original image size is just too large to transfer directly to this forum and has to be cropped using the editing tools available which are visible top right of the screen when you open a photo. It's the icon with the the three horizontal lines with buttons on. This allows adjustments of colour, brightness etc but there is no resizing tool as there is in Windows photo editor.

I have solved this problem in the past by emailing iPad images to myself and then opening up the steam driven laptop and resizing them in Windows and then posting via the laptop.

It might be possible to take an image with the icamera from further away ..i.e. a bad photo and crop it ans still retain sharpness. I haven't tried this yet

I hope this helps a little but what would help more is resize functionality in the iPad or iPhone camera. It may exist but I ain't found it. There may be an app for it. Oh and in the tradition of the BBC "other brands of tablets and smartphones are available" 🤓

Best
M

PS. Huge fan of your blogs.

Here is an iPad close up ..

Attachments

• IMG_0089.JPG
    IMG_0089.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_0095.JPG
    IMG_0095.JPG
    308.5 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
That's really the problem, the iPhone iPad system does not provide resizing in their editing mode. Curiously, there is resizing when you email the pictures, you can choose the size of the photo, so this will have to be my method until Apple eventually males the changes. Apple also doesn't provide a "focusing " feature in its iPad and iPhone devices. Sigh, maybe some,day though. :)

There are many Apple apps that allow you to resize. I used to use Simple Resize. However, I now use Smug Mug for hosting photos and it automatically resizes the photos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back