US Marine Corps Uniforms during Civil War (1 Viewer)

Wolfgang_UK

Sergeant
Hi,

does anybody know of a graphic reference to the rank-system for US Marine Corps uniforms during the Civil War period? In what way did they differ from army regulation/design?
Is it true that chevrons badges where worn "upside down" on Marine uniforms? What colour where they made off? It is not really my period of interest but I still would like to find out more.
So far I only got unreliable sources. May be somebody can help.{sm3}
Regards
Wolfgang

I've got a couple of references at home that I can check for you tonight.

Prost!
Brad

Hello Wolfgang,
The following information came from two references; MARINE BADGES & INSIGNIA of the World, B. Campbell and R. Reynolds, Blandford Press, Poole Dorset, 1983 and UNIFORMS of the SEA SERVICES, R. Rankin, US Naval Institute, Annapolis, MD, 1962. Hopefully all the information is correctly contained in the attachments, and you find the information useful. (Editorial comment; Every time I take the time and effort to provide correct information to a member of the forum, it takes about 5 - 10 minutes to recover the data from my library, and scan it either into jpg or pdf files, and then about 45 min - 1 1/2 hr to adjust it to the memory constraints currently imposed by the forum. Understand dollars for bandwidth, etc, etc etc. None the less a real PAIN!!

Arnhem Jim
Arizona Territory (now declared earthquake country)

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

Hello Wolfgang,
The following information came from two references; MARINE BADGES & INSIGNIA of the World, B. Campbell and R. Reynolds, Blandford Press, Poole Dorset, 1983 and UNIFORMS of the SEA SERVICES, R. Rankin, US Naval Institute, Annapolis, MD, 1962. Hopefully all the information is correctly contained in the attachments, and you find the information useful. (Editorial comment; Every time I take the time and effort to provide correct information to a member of the forum, it takes about 5 - 10 minutes to recover the data from my library, and scan it either into jpg or pdf files, and then about 45 min - 1 1/2 hr to adjust it to the memory constraints currently imposed by the forum. Understand dollars for bandwidth, etc, etc etc. None the less a real PAIN!!

Arnhem Jim
Arizona Territory (now declared earthquake country)

Hello Jim,

thank you very much for your help, sorry about the burden but your information does help me a lot. I thought that the subject was covered in detail on the internet but be assured it is not. Once again - good thing to be a member and have people here who are able and willing to help - Great Show Sir
Thanking you a lot Jim
Kind Regards
Wolfgang :salute:::salute:::salute::

Jim has done better than I. My main reference for US uniforms in the Civil War is an Osprey anthology, "The American Soldier", edited by Ralph Katcher. It has a single plate depicting Marines in the Civil War. It does show the noncoms' chevrons pointing up but doesn't explain why they differed from the Army's practice, so I could only speculate.

However, an internet search on the keywords, "us marine corps insignia civil war", returned a number of pages, including this one, which you may find useful, going forward:

http://civilwarwiki.net/wiki/Union_Insignia_of_the_Civil_War

This site may also be of use to you:

http://www.ushist.com/american_civil-war_uniforms_union_us.shtml

I hope that helps, prosit!
Brad

However, an internet search on the keywords, "us marine corps insignia civil war", returned a number of pages, including this one, which you may find useful, going forward:

http://civilwarwiki.net/wiki/Union_Insignia_of_the_Civil_War

This site may also be of use to you:

http://www.ushist.com/american_civil-war_uniforms_union_us.shtml

I hope that helps, prosit!
Brad[/QUOTE]

Hello Brad,
thank you very much for your kind help. Wondered how I could miss these interesting links (must have been the word insignia I did miss){sm2} Anyway truly a big help as well.
Since pad printing is no option for the private user I will try to have some waterslide decals done to dress my Elastolin troops properly. First step is drawing a svg. file.
Thanks to the both of you now I got some patterns to refer to now {sm4}{sm4} .... still interesting to know WHY the rank badges where "Upside Down" ?

Thank you once again
Kind Regards and Doppel Prosit back to you Baron - in the Old World the Glühwein season has started ...
Wolfgang:salute::

Users who are viewing this thread

Back