vallejo acrylic paints and checked luggage (1 Viewer)

jomartvr

Sergeant First Class
Hello,
I am going to be overseas for six months and want to take some vallejo paints with me. Is it safe to transport these paints in checked luggage? I am planning to double bag, using ziplocks, these paints.
Thanks
Benjamin

Hello,
I am going to be overseas for six months and want to take some vallejo paints with me. Is it safe to transport these paints in checked luggage? I am planning to double bag, using ziplocks, these paints.
Thanks
Benjamin

I have packed them on long trips and no issues so far. Make sure your caps are on tight^&grin

Moreover, make sure they are in tightly sealed plastic bags in case they do open. You don’t want to have ruined clothes.

I am going to triple bag them. I am also thinking of taking them carry on.
Cheers,
Bnejamin

Benjamin...
you might check the TSA guidelines on prohibited (no fly list items)...
of what is acceptable to carry on...
I'm almost sure their is a restriction on liquid volume containers...
meaning they will discard anything over 3 or 4 ozs...
shampoo...lotion...paint...etc...
I'm not sure the size of the Valejo paints you have...
the one I have purchased in the past were 2 oz. bottles...

Hi Mike,

Sage advice. I have decided not to pack the paints. There are number of art supply shops in Jerusalem and I will buy and use the run of the mill acrylic craft paint. I did not want to risk having the paints open in my luggage or carryon, that is if I could even bring them onboard.

Best wishes,
Benjamin

Even though the Vallejo bottles are well within the 3 oz. max that TSA allows, I'm guessing that if you have several TSA will ask you to open your carryon, or they will open your checked bag. I had a similar issue with my checked bag several years ago when I was bringing back some zinnfiguren (tin flats) from Europe. When I claimed my bag back here I found a tag on it stating that it had been opened for inspection. They don't like anything strange or suspicious in your luggage.

When all of these regulations on what you can carry on Airlines began to come in where I live - mostly (UK), I rang my local airport to seek clarification on carrying paints on aircraft ( I use the Humbrol small tins). They advised me that as the contents consisted of flammable liquid material, they would NOT be allowed to be packed in either carry-on baggage - NOR should they be packed in main baggage.

So.........I don't do that on airplanes - though oddly, ferries to and from the Continent of Europe don't seem to mind!

I have never been too inconvenienced though, as most places I have been to, either have a hobby shop either nearby - or one that has been prepared to post me what I want (Humbrol paint in tins) - at very similar prices to that found in the UK.

Now HOW the small tins of paint get to wherever you are in the World - is another question???? I can't believe they get there without an airplane being involved somehow...............but................there you go!!! You can't do it yourself apparently.

jb

...Now HOW the small tins of paint get to wherever you are in the World - is another question???? I can't believe they get there without an airplane being involved somehow...

Yeah, shipping cargo is a different matter from passenger service, different regulations for security and safety. Plus, a lot of goods are still shipped via surface.

Prost!
Brad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back