Was Thinking of Trying To Construct Side of Ship? (1 Viewer)

arnhem44mad

1st Lieutenant
Hey guys was thinking of trying to construct a 1/30th model of a side or part of a ship but not got a clue where to start? Had the idea of an American LCVP beside it parallel and some nets down the side of the ship as if ready for the men going to land on the beaches to climb down. Was thinking of the US Navy figures and some 3rd Infantry figures and vehicles I have to line the deck of the ship but due to the fact that I want to include some vehicles I am not sure what kind of ship to try and model?!^&confuse^&grin

This project might never take off due to lack of space but I quite like the idea of trying it out as it would look good at the other side of the D-Day beach diorama. Had thought of making either part of an aircraft carrier with hurricane on the deck or part of a ship with infantry/armour on the deck.

Does anyone have any such creation they could post pictures of for some ideas?^&grin Always love seeing other people's creations as it is great to see what other people feel passionate about and how they present it!^&grin

Scott

Scott.....Try getting hold of a copy of Squadron/Signal Publications...WWII US Landing Craft (SWS17) Warships 17. Great little book and loads of ideas!!...Like the idea of the side of a Landing Ship with KC"s LCVP floating alongside..nets/Rangers in th LCVP...sounds like a great project...Good luck!!!!.

Steve

Scott.....Try getting hold of a copy of Squadron/Signal Publications...WWII US Landing Craft (SWS17) Warships 17. Great little book and loads of ideas!!...Like the idea of the side of a Landing Ship with KC"s LCVP floating alongside..nets/Rangers in th LCVP...sounds like a great project...Good luck!!!!.

Steve

Thanks a lot mate will have a search for that!^&grin

Will post pics if I start to work on this project!^&grin

I'm working on the same project myself. So far,wood seems to be the best material for the hull. I'm still experimenting though and its far from done.I'm also open to any ideas anybody has.

I'm working on the same project myself. So far,wood seems to be the best material for the hull. I'm still experimenting though and its far from done.I'm also open to any ideas anybody has.

Brilliant mate! Keep me posted on your work!^&grin

Scott^&cool

Hi, Scott, my preferred material for this kind of work is luan plywood. Here in the States, it's usually available in 4'x8' sheets at the hardware store or lumber yard, though our larger home improvement chain stores also sell it in 4'x4' and smaller pieces. Luan was also very popular back in the 70's as faux wood panelling (absolutely hideous, actually). But as a diorama material, it's good, because it's thin enough to work with a Dremel or even with a utility knife. Thicknesses are around 1/8" to 3/16". You can use spackle or putty to fill in the grain and then paint it. I like it for replicating a plastered wall surface, but it could be puttied, sanded and painted to look like the hull of a ship, too.

You might get away with using styrene sheeting, too, such as Evergreen or Plastruct, especially of a heavier thickness. Or, you might also find signs made of thick styrene at the hardware store (do you call them hardware stores, in the UK?). Here in the US, we can get various signs, placards, that you might put up on your house, such as "For Sale", "No Trespassing", etc, that are made of thicker styrene, and provide a cheaper alternative to Evergreen and Plastruct. If you were to use styrene sheeting for the hull of the ship, I'd see adding vertical bracing on the interior side, for rigidity.

I remember seeing a couple of dioramas of this subject, albeit in 1/35 and with scale model kit figures. One was in FineScale Modeler within the past year, and another one, I saw several years ago at the AMPS (the Armor Modeling and Preservation Society) show.

Hope that helps, prost!
Brad

You might get away with using styrene sheeting, too, such as Evergreen or Plastruct, especially of a heavier thickness. Or, you might also find signs made of thick styrene at the hardware store (do you call them hardware stores, in the UK?). Here in the US, we can get various signs, placards, that you might put up on your house, such as "For Sale", "No Trespassing", etc, that are made of thicker styrene, and provide a cheaper alternative to Evergreen and Plastruct. If you were to use styrene sheeting for the hull of the ship, I'd see adding vertical bracing on the interior side, for rigidity.

I would suggest the Styrene.

I have built a fair number of wood and plastic ships and found the styrene easier to work with. You can heat it and then bend it to form a gentle curve of the hull. You can drill port holes easily with a smnall Dremel or similar pin-vise tool. You can get tiny strips for weld lines of the hull and more.

Finescale magazine is an excellent suggestion as they have many models to view. They can be found online at www.finescale.com

Larry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back