Washington and the Red Coat (1 Viewer)

marco55

Brigadier General
I'm having a disagreement with someone on the uniform worn by Washington at Monongahela.He showed me a painting of Washington in the blue uniform of the Virginia regiment and I told him of Griffing's painting who I believe greatly researches his projects but I know there are written accounts also but for the life of me I can't remember.Can anyone help?Thanks in advance.
Mark

Mark-
I was intrigued by your question, so I did a little looking. There appears to be some good information at this site:

http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Impressions.html

This page outlines some of the letters back and forth between Washington and Virginia Gov. Dinwiddie, which mention red coats. Also note the deserter descriptions and the biography of one of Washington's officers at Fort Necessity, which mentions a suit of red regimentals.

It seems that by the next year though, the uniform had changed to the blue regimentals we usually think of with the Virginia Regiment. Gov. Dinwiddie had obtained blue uniforms from England, and this seems to be the predominant color after that.

While none of this definatively answers your question, it might be a start for you.

Noah

Mark-
I was intrigued by your question, so I did a little looking. There appears to be some good information at this site:

http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Impressions.html

This page outlines some of the letters back and forth between Washington and Virginia Gov. Dinwiddie, which mention red coats. Also note the deserter descriptions and the biography of one of Washington's officers at Fort Necessity, which mentions a suit of red regimentals.

It seems that by the next year though, the uniform had changed to the blue regimentals we usually think of with the Virginia Regiment. Gov. Dinwiddie had obtained blue uniforms from England, and this seems to be the predominant color after that.
While none of this definatively answers your question, it might be a start for you.

Noah

A result of the alliance with Prussia, perhaps? Many of our local place names that honor Frederick date to the Seven Years War and the enthusiasm that ordinary folks had for Frederick and things Prussian came about from that alliance. King of Prussia, and the town and township of Frederick here in PA, for example.

Prosit!
Brad

At the time of the Battle of the Monongahela, Washington was not in the Virginia Colonial Regiment. He had resigned. Washington was an aide-de-camp to Braddock. Actually, I do not think he had an official military rank at the time of the battle. He would again take up command of the Virginians, but this not until after Monongahela.

So the thought is as a private citizen, he was free to wear the red coat.

At the time of the Battle of the Monongahela, Washington was not in the Virginia Colonial Regiment. He had resigned. Washington was an aide-de-camp to Braddock. Actually, I do not think he had an official military rank at the time of the battle. He would again take up command of the Virginians, but this not until after Monongahela.

So the thought is as a private citizen, he was free to wear the red coat.

Fraxinus, you make a good point. Thank you for reminding me that Washington had resigned from the Virginia Regiment prior to this campaign. I had forgotten that.

I have read that Washington was essentially a gentleman volunteer during this campaign, serving in the role of aide-de-camp, as you said. There is also one source that I have which indicates Braddock's primary ADC, Robert Orme, offered Washington a brevet rank of captain. It is all a little confusing to decipher.....

Noah

Users who are viewing this thread

Back