What movies got you interested (1 Viewer)

marco55

Brigadier General
I don't know about you guys but certain movies really get me interested in certain periods of history.Below are the movies that really perked my interest to start collecting toy soldiers.My list below.
Mark

1. Gettysburg and Glory (ACW) Gettysburg really started it all
2.Last of the Mohicans (FIW) The granduer of the wilderness got to me
3.Gladiator (Roman Empire) The opening battle scene
4. Kingdom of Heaven (Crusades) Maybe not the best movie but the best Crusade movie
5.Son of the Morning Star (Little Big Horn) I've always been interested in the Little Big Horn and I think this is the most balanced view done in the movies.

When I first saw Gettysburg as a lad it opened my eyes to my love of history which led my father to give me for my birthday a 1/72 scale civil war diorama which began my journey with toy soldiers.

Vick:D

I am afraid I fell victim to movie magic at an early age watching such classics as "Bataan", "Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo", and just about anything with John Wayne. They all peaked my interest in toy soldiers and things military. It has been a lifelong fascination. -- lancer

The movie "ZULU" got me interested in the Anglo-Zulu War.

Also the move "March or Die" has sparked my interest in the FFL.

I also like reading about the Civil War and visiting battlefields when I get the oppotunity.

I don't know about you guys but certain movies really get me interested in certain periods of history.Below are the movies that really perked my interest to start collecting toy soldiers.My list below.
Mark

1. Gettysburg and Glory (ACW) Gettysburg really started it all
2.Last of the Mohicans (FIW) The granduer of the wilderness got to me
3.Gladiator (Roman Empire) The opening battle scene
4. Kingdom of Heaven (Crusades) Maybe not the best movie but the best Crusade movie
5.Son of the Morning Star (Little Big Horn) I've always been interested in the Little Big Horn and I think this is the most balanced view done in the movies.
Interesting question, for me I would list
1 The 300 Spartans and The 300 for Spartans and Persians;
2 Gladiator and HBO Rome for Rome;
3 Sharpe for Napoleonic War; and
4 Zulu for the Zulu War.

Interestingly I have probably been more encouraged (and certainly more educated) about my favorite periods by a number of historical novels. The ones deserving credit are
1 Cornwell's Warlord Trilogy (Arthur) for Midevil England;
http://www.scarrow.co.uk/page12.html
2 Cornwell's Sharpe series for the Napoleonic War;
http://www.bernardcornwell.net/index2.cfm?page=1&seriesid=1
3 Simmon Scarrow's Roman Legionary series for Rome; and
http://www.scarrow.co.uk/page12.html
4 Steven Pressfield's Gates of Fire for Sparta
http://www.stevenpressfield.com/books/gates_fire.asp
Any of these are highly recommended.;):cool:

The television shows "Victory at Sea" and "World at War".

John Ford's classic US cavalry trio. Fort Apache, She wore a yellow ribbon and Rio Grande.

The Alamo (1960)
Spartucas
Waterloo
The Patriot
Gettysburg & Glory
There are a few others but when i watch these movies they make me want to paint or collect more figures from that period/battle :cool:
Ragnar

Zulu
Longest Day
Battle of Britain
Great Escape
Waterloo
Heroes of Telemark

My dad took me to see Zulu on the big screen in Picadilly circus way back in the sixties.All the others were on tv every year as i grew up,they all played a part in igniting my interest in military History.But it was probably the volley fire and 'Men of Harlech' of Zulu that first did it!.

Rob

Zulu
Longest Day
Battle of Britain
Great Escape
Waterloo
Heroes of Telemark

My dad took me to see Zulu on the big screen in Picadilly circus way back in the sixties.All the others were on tv every year as i grew up,they all played a part in igniting my interest in military History.But it was probably the volley fire and 'Men of Harlech' of Zulu that first did it!.

Rob

Second that, Rob! Had to wait a decade though since I was -5 when it came out.
Mike

Second that, Rob! Had to wait a decade though since I was -5 when it came out.
Mike

Worth waiting for though eh Mike?.What a superb film it is, even after seeing it a hundred times:)

Rob

Man, I wish my Gramps was still alive to watch these great movies over and over with! Of course, his name was JohnWaynefanatic!!!!
Mike

For me this often works in reverse. A new toy soldier line will get me interested in reading books or seeing movies related to that period. The John Jenkins French-Indian war is a good example. Prior to collecting that line, I knew very little about that conflict.

I do tend to like those hokey B&W war movies from the 40's. Hard to beat those for entertainment even if most were wildly inaccurate.

Zulu
Longest Day
Battle of Britain
Great Escape
Waterloo
Heroes of Telemark

Rob
If we are going beyond figures I should also add Battle of Britain since I watch it so often and it did "inspire" much of my diecast warbird collection (which is heavy in one particular fighter;):D).

If we are going beyond figures I should also add Battle of Britain since I watch it so often and it did "inspire" much of my diecast warbird collection (which is heavy in one particular fighter;):D).

:D Let me guess!

What a great film it is,love the line from Goering;

'I've not come here to tell you off,come on anything you want'?

'Give me a squadron of Spitfires'!

Love it!!

Rob

For me this often works in reverse. A new toy soldier line will get me interested in reading books or seeing movies related to that period. The John Jenkins French-Indian war is a good example. Prior to collecting that line, I knew very little about that conflict.

I do tend to like those hokey B&W war movies from the 40's. Hard to beat those for entertainment even if most were wildly inaccurate.

Similarly so for me to Combat, actually it was The LT postings of the Britains Zulu war that actually hooked me then I watched the movie Zulu. I am not a huge movie fan to begin with, and to my knowledge there hasn't been any movies made regarding HM QEII and her troops. Although I did see "The Queen". There have however been many good documentaries and these are what I prefer to watch.

I do tend to like those hokey B&W war movies from the 40's. Hard to beat those for entertainment even if most were wildly inaccurate.[/QUOTE]

That's what movies are for Combat,to relax.enjoy a forget about the world for a little while.
Mark

:D Let me guess!

What a great film it is,love the line from Goering;

'I've not come here to tell you off,come on anything you want'?

'Give me a squadron of Spitfires'!

Love it!!

Rob
Yes and the best thing is that it is dead accurate. Here is a quote about the actual scene on which the movie exchange was based from Galland's book The First And The Last:
"The theme of fighter protection was chewed over again and again. Goering clearly represented the point of view of the bombers and demanded close and rigid protection. The bomber, he said, was more important than record bag figures. I tried to point out that the Me109 was superior in the attack and not so suitable for purely defensive purposes as the Spitfire, which, although a little slower, was much more manoeuvrable. He rejected my objection. We received many more harsh words. Finally, as his time ran short, he grew more amiable and asked what were the requirements for our squadrons. Moelders asked for a series of Me109's with more powerful engines. The request was granted. 'And you ?' Goering turned to me. I did not hesitate long. 'I should like an outfit of Spitfires for my group.'

Now he goes on to say he didn't mean it the way it came out but I think we can assume that his first reaction was very telling.;):D His squadron mess had many empty chairs by that point.

Always was interested in soldiers as Dad was Army but I still remember going to see a double feature of Zulu Dawn and Zulu at the cinema.
Those were the days when they had intermissions and ladies came down the aisles selling ice cream.

Yes and the best thing is that it is dead accurate. Here is a quote about the actual scene on which the movie exchange was based from Galland's book The First And The Last:
"The theme of fighter protection was chewed over again and again. Goering clearly represented the point of view of the bombers and demanded close and rigid protection. The bomber, he said, was more important than record bag figures. I tried to point out that the Me109 was superior in the attack and not so suitable for purely defensive purposes as the Spitfire, which, although a little slower, was much more manoeuvrable. He rejected my objection. We received many more harsh words. Finally, as his time ran short, he grew more amiable and asked what were the requirements for our squadrons. Moelders asked for a series of Me109's with more powerful engines. The request was granted. 'And you ?' Goering turned to me. I did not hesitate long. 'I should like an outfit of Spitfires for my group.'

Now he goes on to say he didn't mean it the way it came out but I think we can assume that his first reaction was very telling.;):D His squadron mess had many empty chairs by that point.

You know mate,i know we shouldn't glorify war,but whenever i see that film and think of all the young men in the RAF from all nations who climbed into their Spitfires and Hurricanes and gave the mighty Luftwaffe such a kicking,well it just makes me smile.:)

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back