What Scale To Use For Dioramas? (1 Viewer)

brayshaw_17

Hey, for my diorama, we are struggling on what scale to use as this is our first attempt at any diorama. We were going to wood and stuff, but I recently found out about the pink foam stuff (HEY IM ONLY 14 its not my fault i didnt know about it before), so we are now going to build it out of that. It's going to be about the size of your average door (unless your rich and have oversized doors!). So can anyone suggest what scale to use? Baring in mind we want to fit a few buildings including a chrurch and a river or stream on it :D lol, cheers!

Brayshaw,

I would personally suggest 1/32 scale, for the following reasons:

1. 1/30 tends to be on the expensive side (if your on a limited budget) due to being predominantly highly detailed and painted metal / polystone, whereas there are far more options in 1/32 which may suit your budget, i.e. there is plenty of choice of painted / non-painted, metal or plastic. There is also a good range of competatively priced vehicles, e.g. Forces of Valor, 21st Century etc.

2. 1/72 offers plenty of reasonably priced options, but if your planning a battle scene of the dimensions you have said, you could be there an awful long time 'filling it up'. I would think that a Waterloo scene of that dimension would look fantastic, but I suspect that WWII figures / vehicles might look a little 'lost'.

Just my thoughts. Keep us updated with your thoughts and progress.

Simon

1:32 - 1:35 scale will certinly give you a greater choice all around of both men and vehicles. As far as making such a large diorama the first time out with no experience is a large undertaking. If you had a little experience working on a small one you could learn by your mistakes and move to a larger one when ready.

I would suggest 1/32 also if on a budget! There are lots of plastic figures out there and cost munch less then the metal and can be painted up to a good standard if you take a little time with them. They can also be converted to various other poses.I started thread on this if you don,t know what i,m talking about just click on search and type in conversions and the thread sould come up.
The pink and blue wall insulation foam is great for making buildings,hills,rocks,bunkers,trenches and lots of other stuff. If you get some of this stuff and just look around in your back yard or the woods and find twiggs little sticks and what ever you think looks good you can save some money also, check out your local craft store for dried flowers that might look like trees and bushes. Look all over the store at stuff that you might turn into something for your diorama be creative!

I like to make my diorama pieces in small movable sections so they can be used over and over in different dioramas. I get a big sheet of that roll up grass like they sell in the hobby shops for the train guys and then I place all my moveable pieces on it where I want them. Heres a picture of one of my diorams with all the scratch built stuff I made the only piece I didn,t make was the red brick hougomont building which I moved around so it dosn,t look like hougomont. The trees in the back are all real branches from trees I found in the woods that I just stuck into the foam. I also added hobby grass and hobby dirt to them also and a few little rocks and things.
DSC01191.jpg

DSC01261.jpg

DSC00763.jpg

DSC00605.jpg

ok, 1:32 it is then, also, I'm going to my local hobby shop next week or at the weekend, so maybe I could pick up some stuff. However I don't think we'll be able to start it until Christmas is over. This may seem a bit weird doing a big diorama for our first, but we've got lots and lots of spare time really, so we want to take up the challenge! lol, thanks for your thoughts guys, I'll keep you updated with the project and maybe post some pictures when it gets started! :D BRAYSHAW_17.

ok, 1:32 it is then, also, I'm going to my local hobby shop next week or at the weekend, so maybe I could pick up some stuff. However I don't think we'll be able to start it until Christmas is over. This may seem a bit weird doing a big diorama for our first, but we've got lots and lots of spare time really, so we want to take up the challenge! lol, thanks for your thoughts guys, I'll keep you updated with the project and maybe post some pictures when it gets started! :D BRAYSHAW_17.

Brayshaw 17,

Good luck with your project! And, please keep us informed concerning your progress. Pictures will be most welcomed if you can provide them.

But,...most of all...have fun with it!

Warmest personal regards,

Pat

I've got a picture of a design id like to show you guys, but it'll be on within a day im hoping :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back