Where are FL figures made? (1 Viewer)

The painting surely in China, I would imagine the box also. The metal I am not sure...

For some reason I imagined that the painting would be the one thing they did in the US. I didn't think that China would have much of a domestic talent pool for painting figures, but I suppose with a billion people they could find some. I wonder if they hired figure painting hobbyists to go there and teach them the tricks of the trade.

My understanding is sculpting and masters done in Russia. Then manufacturing is in China.

My understanding is sculpting and masters done in Russia. Then manufacturing is in China.

That is correct.

As to the figures being painted in the US, all of the major companies have their figures painted in China.

No offense intended if any was taken. Chinese workers are very skilled and I believe that because painting involves precise work, there was competition for their services from other industries. I don’t know if this is still the situation.

Due to the cost of living, it’s more affordable to have the figures painted in China.

No offense intended if any was taken.

Not at all. I didn't intend any offense either. I guess I have a hard time imagining things outside of my own experience. I remember painting figures when I played D&D and War Hammer as a teenager. Somehow I imagined that only folk like me would be painting figures. Its a big world though, it makes sense that they could find talent in China.

I can tell you from my own experience they can pretty much make anything you see around you in China...:wink2:

There is also different levels of charges (prices) for different levels of weathering and realism in China.

For some reason I imagined that the painting would be the one thing they did in the US. I didn't think that China would have much of a domestic talent pool for painting figures, but I suppose with a billion people they could find some. I wonder if they hired figure painting hobbyists to go there and teach them the tricks of the trade.

If they were painted in western countries it would blow the cost out of reach for most of us, for a china based painting quality is good

If they were painted in western countries it would blow the cost out of reach for most of us, for a china based painting quality is good

I have noticed that fewer dealers are selling FL in the UK and Magpie who I usually bought mine from seems to be running down their stock. Though collectors selling off figures on ebay mostly seem to do well. But I think for casual collectors, FL has reached the price ceiling for their more mass produced figures of the top rank of manufacturers, which is a shame as FL has done a great job of making their highly detailed figures more accessible.
I suspect the poor exchange rate has a lot to do with that, making new figures much more expensive for us in the UK, or is it the age thing with us all getting older and TS collecting not attracting enough new blood into the hobby. I suppose an upswing in the exchange rate would answer the question !

Steve

China has a long craft tradition. Chinese ceramics and furniture are some of the best in the world.
I understand that military miniatures are a very popular collectors item in China and this would explain the quality of miniatures made there. K&C figures have been made in China since 1985 and many collectors are happy with their quality. Figarti; a Chinese company raised the quality of Toy Soldier armor, artillery and aircraft to a new and higher level!

Just wondering...does anyone know where the main headquarters is for First Legion? I know the sculpting and masters are done in Russia, but the address on their website is Newburyport, MA. I assume Matt Pavone (the owner) is here in the United States, but I could be wrong.

No, you are correct. One of the owners, Matt Pavone, lives in the US (AZ). But as a company, they are located in Boston where their roots are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back