Which maker has the smallest vehicles? (1 Viewer)

Gribeauval

Private 2
As a very initial, tentative collector of WW2 items (pre-1915 has been my preference), I noted the discussion of vehicle sizes, without there being an actual or definitive conclusion. While some seemed quite committed to the larger size, I would prefer the smallest size that is compatible with K&C. By compatible, I do not mean literally the same scale, but rather simply not ridiculously smaller (as 1/48 scale tanks would be). So, could those who have vehicles by different makers give me a general larger to smaller lineup (list is fine, don't need pictures)?

That's a bit of a loaded question because by saying smallest, you're making a comparison against a standard you haven't enunciated, e.g. it's smaller than [fill in the blank]. It seems to me that you're asking about scale.

I think the better question may be which company has vehicles that are 1/28 or 1/29 and which company has vehicles that are 1/30.

Even if the question is restated as I have, as you may see if you do a search regarding scale, it can engender extensive debate.

Collectors Showcase are probably the largest . Then K&C, New Model Army if you can find any. Figarti, Honor Bound, Britains, same story. First Legion smallest most expensive. Does that answer your question? Smaller of course would be 1/32 or 1/35 scale This works great for planes if you hang them from the ceiling!

That doesn't really the answer the question, does it? What size are you using for comparison. 1/28 or 1/30? This is not just semantics but the heart of the argument.

The standard is supposed to be 1/30 but K & C and CS are closer to 1/28 whereas First Legion and Figarti are 1/40.

Others may disagree but that is the way I see it.

Minichamps 1/35. FOV 1/32. Figarti, FL & TG 1/30. TCS 1/28. K&C is a special case as they continue to evolve. They started out at 1/32, moved to 1/30 and several of their latest pieces of armor are 1/28 i.e. BBG016 King Tiger is as large or slightly larger than the TCS King Tiger.

The figures seem to divide along the lines of; WB, FL & Figarti 1/30-60mm and K&C, TCS 1/28-65mm. Also the limits can be found with Conte at 1/32-54mm and Del Prado at 1/25-70mm.

All data only applies to WWII figures and vehicles. Other lines can range from 1/32 to 1/28 within the same companies products.

That's a bit of a loaded question because by saying smallest, you're making a comparison against a standard you haven't enunciated, e.g. it's smaller than [fill in the blank]. It seems to me that you're asking about scale.

I think the better question may be which company has vehicles that are 1/28 or 1/29 and which company has vehicles that are 1/30.

Even if the question is restated as I have, as you may see if you do a search regarding scale, it can engender extensive debate.

I don't quite see the problem: most of the companies make a PIV. Which is the largest, which is the smallest? The exact scale is irrelevant to me, until you hit the outside (ridiculous) scale of , say 1/48. I do appreciate Katana's and Kilted Vampire's comments. They are very useful to me. I am disappointed that K&C is in the larger catefory. I think ideally I would prefer a scale around 1/32, but absolutely no more than 1/30. I wonder if there are already-built/professionally painted vehicles available in 1/32?

I am not in any way criticizing the "correct scale" school, just that it is not what I am seeking aesthetically. I also emphatically do not want to restart a scale argument with my beginner's question. Just seeking guidance for my initial purchases.

Since I haven't actually seen one of these vehicles in the "resin" (oh, I've seen thousands at shows, but never stopped to examine as they were far outside my areas of interest....until now), what is the rough physical size of a PIV? 4" x 8"?

And thanks again for the input.

Minichamps 1/35. FOV 1/32. Figarti, FL & TG 1/30. TCS 1/28. K&C is a special case as they continue to evolve. They started out at 1/32, moved to 1/30 and several of their latest pieces of armor are 1/28 i.e. BBG016 King Tiger is as large or slightly larger than the TCS King Tiger.

The figures seem to divide along the lines of; WB, FL & Figarti 1/30-60mm and K&C, TCS 1/28-65mm. Also the limits can be found with Conte at 1/32-54mm and Del Prado at 1/25-70mm.

All data only applies to WWII figures and vehicles. Other lines can range from 1/32 to 1/28 within the same companies products.

This is very helpful. Can you give me some general guidance on when K&C moved away from 1/32?

The preferred scale is 1/30 and there are no manufacturers making 1/32 unless you count FOV but I don't really consider them a military miniature. Although you may not like the answer, this is really a scale discussion.

K & C moved away from 1/32, which was due in part to a mold shrinkage issue, around 2007 when they issued AK 039, the Desert Tiger.

By the way, Britains used to make tanks in 1/32 and you can probably find them on eBay.

This is very helpful. Can you give me some general guidance on when K&C moved away from 1/32?

King and Country released the Tunisian Tiger I AK039 in 12-2007. K&C claimed this was the largest Tiger I tank they had produced to date. Actual measurements of the model indicated it was 1/30 scale. Prior K&C Tiger I models were 1/32 scale and the figures were disproportionate with the models. A 1/30 figure with a 1/32 tank is a pretty obvious size incompatibility and this was the first concerted effort by K&C to address this problem. Since then K&C has released other 1/30 or larger models as the figure size has continued to increase and is now 1/28. The King Tiger BBG016 measures 1/28.

FOV Armor models qualify as Military Miniatures as they are accurate scale models; more accurate than most polystone armor particularly in terms of tracks, sprockets, wheels, hatches etc. Polystone models are at best an approximation of a model, with many inaccurate tradeoffs in the interest of cost savings. Figarti and First Legion attempt to offset the limits of polystone by utilizing mixed media to improve details and accuracy.

Many collectors use FOV armor with FL figures in very realistic dioramas as displayed in many photographs on this forum.

W. Britains made a very limited selection of 1/32 armor; which had very poor detail. I believe a Panzer IV, T34 and M4 Sherman was the only tracked armor models produced. FOV is far superior in both range of vehicles and quality.

Eaglemoss is producing a line of 1/43 armor that is very nicely done in diecast. The Panzer III is quite accurate and of equivalent quality to the Eagle Designs Panzer III and both are more detailed than equivalent polystone models of the Panzer III by TCS and K&C IMO.

The preferred scale is 1/30 and there are no manufacturers making 1/32 unless you count FOV but I don't really consider them a military miniature. Although you may not like the answer, this is really a scale discussion.

K & C moved away from 1/32, which was due in part to a mold shrinkage issue, around 2007 when they issued AK 039, the Desert Tiger.

All these replies have been very useful (and educational). Much information that I was previously unaware of. I appreciate the responses. Thank you all.

FOV Armor models qualify as Military Miniatures as they are accurate scale models; more accurate than most polystone armor particularly in terms of tracks, sprockets, wheels, hatches etc. Polystone models are at best an approximation of a model, with many inaccurate tradeoffs in the interest of cost savings. Figarti and First Legion attempt to offset the limits of polystone by utilizing mixed media to improve details and accuracy.

Many collectors use FOV armor with FL figures in very realistic dioramas as displayed in many photographs on this forum.

W. Britains made a very limited selection of 1/32 armor; which had very poor detail. I believe a Panzer IV, T34 and M4 Sherman was the only tracked armor models produced. FOV is far superior in both range of vehicles and quality.

Eaglemoss is producing a line of 1/43 armor that is very nicely done in diecast. The Panzer III is quite accurate and of equivalent quality to the Eagle Designs Panzer III and both are more detailed than equivalent polystone models of the Panzer III by TCS and K&C IMO.

You, of course, are entitled to your own opinion but I don't see FOV as being in the same segment as King & Country, First Legion, Figarti, etc. FOV is a mass market toy whereas the others are not. Not something I'd have in my collection but to each his own.

FOV may work as one piece on a large scale diorama, but as a stand alone piece on a shelf, it isn't for me.

I have several FOV pieces that are very well done; The Jagdpanther, Jagdtiger and M26. All three vehicles are size compatible with WB and FL figures and the detail is as good or better than any polystone vehicle IMO. I purchased the FOV Jagdtiger because no 1/30 maker had a decent one. I was very impressed with the detail and the camouflage. I have seen many photos on the forum with FL figures posed in and on FOV armor and the results can be very realistic. A recent post of the FOV KV1 with FL Russians was as good as it gets. The FOV KV1 was equal or better than the Figarti KV. The same applies to the FOV M26 versus the Figarti. The FOV has more detail and is very realistic displayed with the excellent WB US Infantry. The later FOV armor was not over weathered as some of the earlier pieces and the paint quality was improved considerably.

FOV may work as one piece on a large scale diorama, but as a stand alone piece on a shelf, it isn't for me.

FOV Armor with 60mm figures. I have included photos of the actual vehicles with crew for reference. IMO the FOV M26 and Jagdtiger are better than any polystone models of the same vehicles. A comment was made that the FOV Armor is a mass market toy. How many of a product is made does not determine quality. Detail and accuracy determine quality. FOV armor is made from Zinc diecast metal and polystyrene. Polystone is polyurathane resin with powdered metal filler; the materials in each are the same, metal and plastic. No quality difference in materials. The FOV armor has far more accurate and realistic track, sprockets and running gear than any polystone model from K&C,TCS or TG. Only Figarti and FL utilizing mixed media rise to an equivalent level of accuracy IMO. FOV, TCS, K&C, TG, FL and Figarti are all toy soldier makers, some are more accurate and less expensive than others; which is the only real difference. I opt for better accuracy and superior detail in my toy soldiers.

P1010518.JPGjagdtiger3.jpgP1010592.JPGm26a.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back