Wm. Hocker Set 120 (1 Viewer)

PolarBear

Major
Set 120: Officers of the Regiment

My 3rd Hocker set depicting Anglo-India in the latter half of the 19th Century
and my second set of the Victorian Army At Ease.

Attachments

• WHset120ASm.jpg
    WHset120ASm.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 329
  • WHset120BSm.jpg
    WHset120BSm.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 330
  • WHset120CSm.jpg
    WHset120CSm.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 334
  • WHset120DSm.jpg
    WHset120DSm.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 348
  • WHset120E.jpg
    WHset120E.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 329
Very nice Randy. Are you planning on keep the set tied in the box or will you be removing them to feature in some of your fantastic vignettes ;););)

Very nice Randy. Are you planning on keep the set tied in the box or will you be removing them to feature in some of your fantastic vignettes ;););)

Sets 118 and 120 are both still in their boxes until I locate the proper settings for both of them. I am looking for a proper Anglo-Indian Bungalow (set 118) and Club (set 120) for my setups. I plan to talk to Ken Osen about this:)

Set 118: Our Army at Rest in India

Attachments

• 118.gif
    118.gif
    34 KB · Views: 162
You need something similar to this Randy :)

picture.php

You need something similar to this Randy :)

picture.php

Scott

That is exactly what I am looking for. Where did you find this great photo and is there a larger version?

Thanks for finding this:)

For an Anglo- Indian club, here is the Bangalore Club dating to the 1860s in India and used by David Lean in A Passage to India:

Randy

Attachments

• BangaloreClub.jpg
    BangaloreClub.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 183
I thought you may like it, I found it through google unfortunately it's not very big. I am at work so haven't much to go sifting through all the pages.

The key words I used were......... indian cricket pavillion

When I saw the figures and you mentioned a clubhouse it popped right into my head.

Good luck :)

Scott

I thought you may like it, I found it through google unfortunately it's not very big. I am at work so haven't much to go sifting through all the pages.

The key words I used were......... indian cricket pavillion

When I saw the figures and you mentioned a clubhouse it popped right into my head.

Good luck :)

Scott

Thanks

I had used Anglo-Indian Bungalow and Anglo-Indian Club as my search terms and had not thought of cricket yet. A big PB hat's off tip to the britfarmer!!!

Scott

The great photo from Lahore that you found is representative of a gymkhana:

"The British had also developed the concept of gymkhanas or sports-houses which provided facilities for all sorts of sports and games for the colonial population in the sub-continent. The Karachi Gymkhana Club, located on Scandal Point (later Club) Road, was a large Tudor-style building, constructed in 1886."

Karachi Gymkhana C. 1900:

Attachments

• gymkhana.jpg
    gymkhana.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 249
Scott:

Here is info about the building you found. It is on the grounds of Lawrence Gardens, Lahore.

Lahore Gymkhana Cricket Club and Its Pavilion:

"Whilst British Colonial Rule reduced the dimensions of indigenous cultures, they nevertheless also raised many positive dimensions of life in the Indian continent of South Asia. The British left behind in South Asia a legacy of sports. Cricket, Squash, Snooker/Billiards, Bridge, Golf are some of the uniquely British contributions, which over time have been assimilated, innovated & dominated by the south Asian peoples.

Around 1885 to 1900, the British Company "Bahadur" [aka East India Company Inc.], as part of the celebrations of Queen Victoria’s birthday, built some of the finest architectural buildings of Lahore. The Museum, the old Punjab University campus on the Mall, the Lawrence Hall Library and the Mian Mir Institute [later the Lahore Gymkhana] were some of these buildings. Nestling within the old Lawrence Gardens, the Lahore Gymkhana Cricket Club (LGCC) sits inside the Bagh-e-Jinnah, originally called Lawrence Gardens. LGCC faces the Governor house with the Mall Road separating the main old Gymkhana Building and the Bagh-e-Jinnah garden grounds. The outer perimeter of the LGCC ground is ringed by tal,l giant Shisham and Peepal trees; other trees, each more than 80-100 years of age, still cover the gardens of Bagh-e-Jinnah and act as the lungs of central Lahore.

The LGCC cricket pitch is laid out in a north–south direction for the convenience of the cricket players, so that they are not blinded by the morning or evening sun. The bowling ends/ sightscreens are the Governor house end and the Police club end or the GOR [government officers residence] end. The LGCC main pavilion contains the players’ dressing rooms, showers, and bathrooms. There is a central high ceiling hall which is the museum. This contains memorabilia, old visiting cricket teams photographs, important LGCC cricket scores and players’ achievements at the ground.

The LGCC remains sacrosanct and of a special pedigree. Fazal Mahmood recalls that LGCC "was the most prestigious in the province. Every cricketer dreamt of playing there". These days about 40-overs matches are played on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. Only club cricket players and members of the Lahore Gymkhana are allowed in. A few cricket lovers are allowed to sit and watch on the benches that space the circumference of the LGCC. This has allowed its grounds to be maintained at a very high level. The LGCC building’s architectural style is very similar to the Tollinton market, on the Mall next to the Museum."

Attachments

• LGCCMainPavilion.jpg
    LGCCMainPavilion.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 175
Thanks for the additional info Randy. I also think the Hocker Polo match set would look splendid displayed in front of these buildings.

Set 120: Officers of the Regiment

My 3rd Hocker set depicting Anglo-India in the latter half of the 19th Century
and my second set of the Victorian Army At Ease.

Randy, this is a rather charming set :)

Jeff

Thanks for the additional info Randy. I also think the Hocker Polo match set would look splendid displayed in front of these buildings.

Scott

I agree. On my future acquisitions list:

WH Set 97: Anglo-Indian Polo Match

Attachments

• 097.gif
    097.gif
    34.6 KB · Views: 130
Jeff, Boy-o-boy that's a beautiful acquisition ! Many thanks for sharing it with us:DHardly need mention the stunning crisp photos of your actual set...but I will :cool:
Best,John

Bill makes very inventive sets. I would like to get more. I will see what happens. So little space so many soldiers.

From the archives of the Imperial War Museum:

Attachments

• OfficersRajSepiaMatSm.jpg
    OfficersRajSepiaMatSm.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 103

Users who are viewing this thread

Back