WW2 Luftwaffe shirts (1 Viewer)

RPZ

Corporal
OK; I have done a forum search here to no avail. I did find this exact topic on another forum;

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=605415

... and it seems the conclusion was ... inconclusive(!) .. with no consensus of opinion and no one offered indisputable evidence either way. I was unable to view a couple of files posted in the duiscussion because I was not registered on the site.

So the $64,000 question is; were these dark shirts (worn by some aircrew members like Schuck for example) actually black or dark blue?

I tried a number of picture searches online and came up with nothing not already covered here. I do not have any hardcopy reference materials that would answer this; perhaps someone with a good reference book(s) like Uniforms & Traditions of the Luftwaffe - maybe a color photo could answer this once and for all.

My interest is that I have a pilot figure that is wearing his gray-blue reithose and a beige shirt that was probably appropriate for a southern europe assignment. I want to convert him to a far northwesterly scenario. The black or dark blue - or both - seem prevelent to the far northwest in units like JG5.

Last edited:
OK; I have done a forum search here to no avail. I did find this exact topic on another forum;

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=605415

... and it seems the conclusion was ... inconclusive(!) .. with no consensus of opinion and no one offered indisputable evidence either way. I was unable to view a couple of files posted in the duiscussion because I was not registered on the site.

So the $64,000 question is; were these dark shirts (worn by some aircrew members like Schuck for example) actually black or dark blue?

I tried a number of picture searches online and came up with nothing not already covered here. I do not have any hardcopy reference materials that would answer this; perhaps someone with a good reference book(s) like Uniforms & Traditions of the Luftwaffe - maybe a color photo could answer this once and for all.

My interest is that I have a pilot figure that is wearing his gray-blue reithose and a beige shirt that was probably appropriate for a southern europe assignment. I want to convert him to a far northwesterly scenario. The black or dark blue - or both - seem prevelent to the far northwest in units like JG5.
Hard to tell from the photos....looks black...but I doubt the pilots would wear black... they .would not want to allied themselves to the black of the Gestapo ...sorry I cant help you...TomB

Hello there,
For temperate climates the standard Luftwaffe cotton Trikot shirt was long sleeved and light-blue-grey in color. In some examples the cotton appeared as blue-flecked under close examination.
From 1933 to 1943 this was collarless and when worn a separate neckband was also worn, with this latter item was attached inside the tunic collar. The separate collar band was in medium blue on one side and white on the other. The Luftwaffe pattern national eagle was worn on the right breast.

In 1943 a new style Luftwaffe shirt was introduced with an attached collar, and pleated breast pockets closing with flaps. The buttons were often medium blue composite with five closing the front and one closing each breast pocket flap, and one closing each cuff. Some late war produced shirts may have used resin impregnated pressed paper buttons. The Luftwaffe eagle was worn in the same position as the earlier collarless shirt, with the eagle now placed just above the pocket flap.

The 1943 pattern shirt was also made in grey-green for the Herman Goring Division and members of Feld Divisions.
This same pattern shirt was also produced in light tan for tropical use and were allowed to be used as outer wear with the sleeves rolled up. Although many period photographs show this pattern shirt as a sort sleeved garment, it is not known if these were private purchase or field modifications.

I hope this helps a bit!
All the Best,
Ken

Ken & Erika,

Thanks for the information. I had wondered whether the "black" shirts were actually collar bands or maybe large crevats, but some of the photos on close examination clearly exhibit shirt collars - even if they are separate items attached.

TomB,

It is very hard to tell looking at black and white photos, but the tone is very dark - darker than the brown or black of their flight jackets.

Still somewhat of a mystery, but I would like to narrow it down to be historically accurate in this regard.

Hello again,
Black and white photographs can be tricky when analyzing colors.

I also forgot to mention one other official Luftwaffe issue shirt color, although I am sure it would not really apply to your question. The Panzer arm of the Herman Goring Division were issued black shirts to wear with the Black Panzer wrap with the official issue black tie.

In one photograph I came across four Knights Cross winners of 1/JG 51, two officers are clearly wearing the light blue shirt while two others wear very dark shirts, perhaps dark grey.

In another photograph there are four Luftwaffe officers, two wearing blue-grey gaberdine service tunics, one the black Panzer wrap and the third appearing to wear a cotton tropical tunic.
Although all four may belong to the Herman Goring Division and two wear that cuff title, the shirt colors are interesting. The two wearing the blue-grey tunics were wearing the light blue shirt with black tie. The one wearing the panzer wrap had a black shirt and tie, the forth officer was wearing what appears to be a tropical weight service tunic, a very dark shirt, most likely grey and a black tie.

The last important thing to consider is that officers were given an allowance to purchase their uniforms, and even though they were supposed to conform to regulations there were variations worn on actual service.

Just some more thoughts.
All the Best,
Ken

Ken,

Thanks once again for your input. In regards to your last paragraph I would further speculate that except for "on parade", and other functions more than a few of the flyers wore what they pleased within reason. The variation from textbook regulation in some photos suggest this.

"Out of regulation" apparel was probably more common in areas of temperature extremes. Adolf Galland resorted to wearing nothing more than a pair of shorts on his flying missions during the Spanish civil conflict.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back