“Desert Junkers 52” (2 Viewers)

I use models in dioramas and appreciate that they are cheaper and, in my case, free up dollars for greater expenditure on toy soldiers. Having spent a few hours in hobby shops recently after the passage of a couple of decades, I was struck by the range of choice and manufacturers that I had never heard of let alone purchased from. Growing up it was Airfix or Tamiya. Today, however, if a type of Spitfire or a German tank was used anywhere there is a plastic model of it - or at least so it seems to me. Perhaps the plastic modellers have been so spoilt for choice it is difficult to accept the confines of an associated, but different, hobby. I see a 1/32nd plastic kit B-17 is on the market for 299 US. Given that I could not possibly do justice to a model of that quality, the K&C version, though still a financial commitment for a hobby purchase, is not entirely unreasonable ... at least to me. If a TS painter in Australia charges one dollar a mm, which I have been quoted, what would a modeller charge for making the B-17? My father makes Wingnuts aircraft for our dios and they are between 60 and 120 dollars each. Even at ten dollars an hour (which he is not getting if he reads this post!) the cost of the kit is easily dwarfed by his time commitment.
Unless K&C wooden aircraft are made from compressed wood in layers the time making them would be a fraction of the time taken for a very detailed plastic kit....they would save cost wise in the manufacturing ..with modern wood working machines I do not think the basic shape of the aircraft would take long...the add on portions would probably cost more than the airframe itself...maybe Andy would like to share a few details on the subject....could you give me the details of the B17...I have several models but a 1/30 scale would be ideal for a dio....I like making detailed aircraft kits .it give an insite into the heart and soul of the real aircraft...cheers TomB...PS...what are Wingnut aircraft...have not heard of them

From what I know of the workshop where they are made, these models, which are made by hand, take a long time to make. It's not something that can be manufactured on a machine, as far as I know.

Brad

Well I'm just going to upset everybody here but I like both the wooden Warbirds and the Polystone versions too. I saw the wooden Lanc in London a few years ago and it truly was something to behold, splendid model. But I also like the later poly versions of which I have a few, I don't want to start the god awful weight equates to quality argument again but I like the heft of them as I like the lighter wooden aircraft for the opposite reason. If I had enough for the Lancs I would get one in a heartbeat.

In short, all K&C aircraft whatever the medium look excellent to me^&cool:salute::

Rob

Unless K&C wooden aircraft are made from compressed wood in layers the time making them would be a fraction of the time taken for a very detailed plastic kit....they would save cost wise in the manufacturing ..with modern wood working machines I do not think the basic shape of the aircraft would take long...the add on portions would probably cost more than the airframe itself...maybe Andy would like to share a few details on the subject....could you give me the details of the B17...I have several models but a 1/30 scale would be ideal for a dio....I like making detailed aircraft kits .it give an insite into the heart and soul of the real aircraft...cheers TomB...PS...what are Wingnut aircraft...have not heard of them
Hi Tom. Wingnut Wings is a plastic aircraft model company in New Zealand. I believe they are owned by Peter Jackson, director of Lord of the Rings. They specialize in 1/32 WW1 aircraft and they are superb. Their site is www.wingnutwings.com. -- Al

Hi Tom. Wingnut Wings is a plastic aircraft model company in New Zealand. I believe they are owned by Peter Jackson, director of Lord of the Rings. They specialize in 1/32 WW1 aircraft and they are superb. Their site is www.wingnutwings.com. -- Al

Al

Free postage anywhere in the world as well. If anyone is looking at the WW1 aircraft lean toward the later ones. They have a few of the bugs ironed out. Nevertheless, superb models.

Jack

Al

Free postage anywhere in the world as well. If anyone is looking at the WW1 aircraft lean toward the later ones. They have a few of the bugs ironed out. Nevertheless, superb models.

Jack
Thank you Jack and Lancer.....a good site to keep an eye on...I very much like the Fokker DV11,,,,regards TomB

http://www.hk-models.de/p2_04.htm

I know nothing about them but it is way, way beyond me anyway.

Thank you for the reference...Wow the B17 looks very interesting to build .....you have caused a bit of a problem though...the B25 glass nose...(bring back memories of Catch 22 and Thirty Seconds Over Tokoyo...read the books...Catch 22 ..twice ) also looks very inviting ......being a long time fan of Jimmy Dolittle as a pilot before and during the war I may have to toss a coin.....and save a few pennies...xmas coming up and all the presie's and grog....I may have to wait to New Year ...will have made my mind up by then between the two airccraft...thank you for the reference....regards TomB

Wow. Those are some remarkable plastic models. The interior detail is incredible. I love the close-up shots of the Sperry ball-turret on the B-17. Never seen that kind of detail for that turret in a model. Shame all the construction details are hidden when the model is built. Perhaps they should consider a version with a clear plastic fuselage to expose the interior. -- Al

Thank you for the reference...Wow the B17 looks very interesting to build .....you have caused a bit of a problem though...the B25 glass nose...(bring back memories of Catch 22 and Thirty Seconds Over Tokoyo...read the books...Catch 22 ..twice ) also looks very inviting ......being a long time fan of Jimmy Dolittle as a pilot before and during the war I may have to toss a coin.....and save a few pennies...xmas coming up and all the presie's and grog....I may have to wait to New Year ...will have made my mind up by then between the two airccraft...thank you for the reference....regards TomB

It's an incredible model, isn't it ? I too have been tempting by it as well. Some guy from other site that I'm a member of said he's already finished building it and that the build is smooth and parts fit very well. Also a couple pro-builders on ebay offer to build & finish it for $1000 commission + cost of kit, so you pay around $1500 for a finished B17 in this scale.

It's an incredible model, isn't it ? I too have been tempting by it as well. Some guy from other site that I'm a member of said he's already finished building it and that the build is smooth and parts fit very well. Also a couple pro-builders on ebay offer to build & finish it for $1000 commission + cost of kit, so you pay around $1500 for a finished B17 in this scale.
It sure is something....I also like the B25.......I tried to find a price for both but could not...do you have a reference to a site that actually sells them ?....regards TomB

It sure is something....I also like the B25.......I tried to find a price for both but could not...do you have a reference to a site that actually sells them ?....regards TomB

My LHS has one in stock for $340 CAN. Ebay also has it for ~$300 US with free shipping. Im sure if you search the net you will find them for about the same price.

Tom

If you do buy one how about you keep note of the hours it takes to build. It would be interesting to see what time commitment a model like this demands. Modellers presumably enjoy making models as well as possessing them so it cannot be considered 'work in the same way as a 'job' but it would be quite interesting. That model surely would take many, many hours.

Jack

I gave up making models when I found when completing them, I had a heap of parts left over which suggested I had not done a very good job. To top it off my paint work looked nothing like the box art. {sm4}, Robin.

I gave up making models when I found when completing them, I had a heap of parts left over which suggested I had not done a very good job. To top it off my paint work looked nothing like the box art. {sm4}, Robin.

It was probably the manufacturer's fault!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back