1/32 scale WW1 Aircraft Decals (1 Viewer)

maddadicus

2nd Lieutenant
I have been looking for 1/32 scale WW1 Aircraft Decals..Lately, I have been able to download images from the net, put them into a print program using clear address labels. Works fine if the plane color has a white backdrop for the image. If not, the image will come out opaque and any plane colors will bleed thru my sticker. I am open to suggestions. Michael

I have been looking for 1/32 scale WW1 Aircraft Decals..Lately, I have been able to download images from the net, put them into a print program using clear address labels. Works fine if the plane color has a white backdrop for the image. If not, the image will come out opaque and any plane colors will bleed thru my sticker. I am open to suggestions. Michael

Clear address labels are thick and the edges of the sticker can be seen. You can buy at a local hobby shop (Archer Transfer carry these items) plain clear or white decals. In the same manner, download the images and print them from your printer. Be sure to adjust the margins before printing as the size of the decal sheet is about 4.25" X 5.50." You then want to spray it with clear dull cote and let dry. This will prevent the bleeding.

Remember, color printers only have red, yellow, blue, red and black inks...no white. It is assumed that users will always use white paper. White will always be opaque. If you want the white to appear, you need to slide out the decal (reversed) on a wax paper so it will not stick. Let dry. Then spray or brush w/ white paint on the reverse side. While waiting for it to dry apply clear gloss on the surface where you plan to apply the decal. When dry, apply decal setter (Micro Sol). Apply decal (lift from the wax paper with a wet brush) to the surface as usual. Then apply Micro Sol on the decal. This will soften the decal and will adhere to the contour of the surface and will have an appearance as if it was painted. Then spray with dull cote. I recommend spraying the entire surface to have an even tone.

Note: The use of clear gloss is to blend with the sheen of decal paper and when dull cote is applied, it will have a flat/matte look finish. Be sure to use clear dull cote not clear flat as it has a slight "satin" effect.

It takes practice to perfect this procedure. Or better still, if you know anyone working at a print shop, they have commercial printers (or color copiers) that carry white ink and may be able to print them for you.

Hope this helps.

Noli-Poli

When I make my own transfers/decals I can get from a company I use in the UK either white paper or clear when making transfers. I would expect you can pick up white paper somewhere in the US. That allows the white colour you want to show in what image you want. I also use laser printers as you don't then need to apply a coating of spray to stop the ink running before application to the model.
Mitch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back