105mm Pack? (1 Viewer)

semenza

Private
Hi,

Not sure if this belongs here or in a metal section, but I posted it here due to the relation to Deetail.

Was the Britain's "Deetail" 105mm Italian pack howitzer ever made with articulated separate split trails or only in the one piece?

Thanks,

Seth

Seth,
The original gun, W.Britains Set 9724 105mm Pack Howitzer, sold for $1.50 when originally issued in 1967. It had a traversing gun assembly, articulated moveable split trails which folded, and the entire gun carriage folded into the anti-tank configuration. It fired a small lead projectile. Suffices it was a very well executed model replicating the Gun Equipment, 105mm L5 (Oto-Melara), then NATO Standard. Hope this helps.
Arnhem Jim

9724 copy.jpg

Yup it sure does help. I had only seen the later model with all solid one piece trails. I came across thefolding one and thought maybe it was one that someone had modified.

Thanks,

Seth

I wouldn't mind getting one of these guns, as I served on them for a short time in the 1970's in the RAA.

guncrew2.jpg

That's me in the front centre, leaping out of the LandRover on a display day.

They were not as sturdy as the old 25 Pounders we had previously, but were 'fun' to disassemble and reassemble in races on the parade ground.

We got them replaces after a couple of years with the US M2A2 105mm Howitzer following the withdrawal of our troops out of Vietnam, so we back to a much better gun.

John

I wouldn't mind getting one of these guns, as I served on them for a short time in the 1970's in the RAA.

View attachment 148152

That's me in the front centre, leaping out of the LandRover on a display day.

They were not as sturdy as the old 25 Pounders we had previously, but were 'fun' to disassemble and reassemble in races on the parade ground.

We got them replaces after a couple of years with the US M2A2 105mm Howitzer following the withdrawal of our troops out of Vietnam, so we back to a much better gun.

John

I worked the M102 in the 82nd Abn Division. After working heavier guns such as the M110 8-inch Howitzer SP and the M114 155mm Towed Howitzer the M102 was a dream and fun to work. Loved the 6400 mil traverse, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back