150th Anniversay of Gettysburg (3 Viewers)

Rob

Four Star General
Just wondering if any of my American friends will be attending any events at Gettysburg or indeed any other ACW events in the coming months? Any pics info you can share would be very interesting and most welcome:smile2:

Rob

I think a couple of guys are like Lo. I'm not. I think it will be a zoo. I'd rather much go when it's quieter. I went once when it was late winter/early spring and we basically had the whole battlefield to ourselves. We took a guided tour and I think there was only one other family.

I think a couple of guys are like Lo. I'm not. I think it will be a zoo. I'd rather much go when it's quieter. I went once when it was late winter/early spring and we basically had the whole battlefield to ourselves. We took a guided tour and I think there was only one other family.

Yes can only imagine how busy it will be there in a few short days.

Rob

This is very much my way of visiting Gettysburg as well. Although I haven't visited recently, I used to go several times a year, and I have never gone near the place July 1, 2, or 3. Just too busy and chaotic. A winter visit can be very quiet and introspective, something July will not be.:wink2: -- Al

Guys, could I ask a massive favour please?? If anyone at anytime in the future goes to G'burg , could you please get some pics looking down from(or up to) Little Round top? It would be of huge help to me and very much appreciated.

Cheers

Rob

This is very much my way of visiting Gettysburg as well. Although I haven't visited recently, I used to go several times a year, and I have never gone near the place July 1, 2, or 3. Just too busy and chaotic. A winter visit can be very quiet and introspective, something July will not be.:wink2: -- Al

If July 1-3 normally is crazy, I wonder what this year will be like. I would like to hear Combat's perspective since he lives there. I was thinking of going up there for the 150th anniversary of the Gettysburg Addresss but I think that will be a zoo too.

Brad

It should be interesting. In addition to the anniversary, they are having two major reenactments. I've heard rumors the President or maybe VP might attend, but nothing official (likely for security reasons). The road system in town is not designed for heavy traffic. The weather has been beautiful this summer for everything except swimming (my pool is ice cold). But that is going to change next week with temps in the 90s. It can be hot and uncomfortable in July. C-SPAN is carrying some of the events beginning June 30th. I'm not sure if they have a live feed on their Internet site, but that may be the way to go. You may want to check that for a schedule. I posted the attached PDF booklet on another thread. It contains a list of events for that week (it takes a few seconds to load). Interesting even if you are not attending. Rob - I would be glad to take some pictures. I drive through the battlefield almost every day.

http://www.gettysburgfoundation.org/00/commemorativeGuide.pdf

It should be interesting. In addition to the anniversary, they are having two major reenactments. I've heard rumors the President or maybe VP might attend, but nothing official (likely for security reasons). The road system in town is not designed for heavy traffic. The weather has been beautiful this summer for everything except swimming (my pool is ice cold). But that is going to change next week with temps in the 90s. It can be hot and uncomfortable in July. C-SPAN is carrying some of the events beginning June 30th. I'm not sure if they have a live feed on their Internet site, but that may be the way to go. You may want to check that for a schedule. I posted the attached PDF booklet on another thread. It contains a list of events for that week (it takes a few seconds to load). Interesting even if you are not attending. Rob - I would be glad to take some pictures. I drive through the battlefield almost every day.

http://www.gettysburgfoundation.org/00/commemorativeGuide.pdf

Thanks Doug that would be very kind of you indeed and very much appreciated.

Thanks for the link too.

Best

Rob

Guys, could I ask a massive favour please?? If anyone at anytime in the future goes to G'burg , could you please get some pics looking down from(or up to) Little Round top? It would be of huge help to me and very much appreciated.

Cheers

Rob

Rob, I just "googled" the name and 100s of photos past and present showed up. You can take your pick this way.

I was planning on attending, but have decided to wait until later in the year to go. Even though it would be a great experience I just cannot deal with the crowds that are expected. The very first time I went to Gettysburg was during the 138th Anniversary and that was pretty crazy in itself I thought. The best time to visit Gettysburg is during the so called "off season" during Fall, Winter and early Spring. You will have most of the places all by yourself and it really adds to the overall experience I think. I will be heading up that way during the Fall. For those that are attending you will have my prayers! Haha

I would love to go, but I don't feel like dealing with crowds. Imagine the beer lines {eek3} The best time to visit is April/May or Sept/Oct when it's not crowded and not too hot.

Rob, I just "googled" the name and 100s of photos past and present showed up. You can take your pick this way.

Hi Scott,

Yes there are some great shots there, I guess I'm sort of searching for a close up definitive pic of the terrain , maybe I'm being to choosy here Scott!:redface2: I'll keep looking at the google images because there are some very good ones in there.

Cheers

Rob

I would love to go, but I don't feel like dealing with crowds. Imagine the beer lines {eek3} The best time to visit is April/May or Sept/Oct when it's not crowded and not too hot.

Even Meade and Lee would stay away! Maybe that's why Stuart didn't show up ^&grin

Rob, here are 2-pics, one looking down Little Roundtop with the Devil's Den on the left, the other pic, from Devil's Den looking up to Little RoundtopP1090142-640.jpgP1090147-640.jpg. I remember there was a thread on this forum about people acting silly on such sacred ground. I apologize for being one of these people and after reading that thread will never to do it again.

Rob, here are 2-pics, one looking down Little Roundtop with the Devil's Den on the left, the other pic, from Devil's Den looking up to Little RoundtopView attachment 130385View attachment 130386. I remember there was a thread on this forum about people acting silly on such sacred ground. I apologize for being one of these people and after reading that thread will never to do it again.

Thanks ever so for posting these, nice pics! With these , any that Doug doesn't mind taking for me and Google I'll be spoilt for choice! I also have a rather excellent ' then and now' book on loan from Bob that is a big help too

Rob

Last edited:
Ericka and I will be in Gettysburg next weekend. Friday night we will be at 'For the Historian', a new military book and toy soldier store right off the square downtown. On Saturday and Sunday we will be set up at the National Park Service Visitors Center with W. Britain products.
In case you did not see these pictures from our visit to Gettysburg three weeks ago, here they are again. The first two mark the locations of 4th US Artillery Battery A at the angle. This is looking down the tube of a 3" Ordinance Rifle. The marker is the approximate location of the death of Alonzo Cushing, commander of the battery.

These are images of the reconstructed Sherfy barn located on Emmitsburg Road. The monument is to the 114th PA who were positioned here on the second day of fighting.

A similar view in model form with W. Britain figures and a diorama built by H&A Studio.

I hope to see some of you there,
Ken Osen

Took a few pictures today:

Area of Pickett's charge looking from the Confederate position:

Peach Orchard looking toward the Round Tops:

Little Round Top:

Splendid pics Doug just great, thanks for taking and posting them.

Rob

I will be there. The NPS is doing real time walks on the battlefield. So I will be Doing the 6:30 am walk on July 2nd, Longstreets assault on July 3rd (I think I will be in Lane's brigade). That will be really cool because a ranger will lead each of the 9 brigades and you can pick which brigade you want to be in. Then on July 4th I will be going to the Rose Farm walk. That is one advantage to living 35 miles away! I think that is one reason I will never move. :) Although I wouldn't mind moving to Fredericksburg! :) Brad

I will be there. The NPS is doing real time walks on the battlefield. So I will be Doing the 6:30 am walk on July 2nd, Longstreets assault on July 3rd (I think I will be in Lane's brigade). That will be really cool because a ranger will lead each of the 9 brigades and you can pick which brigade you want to be in. Then on July 4th I will be going to the Rose Farm walk. That is one advantage to living 35 miles away! I think that is one reason I will never move. :) Although I wouldn't mind moving to Fredericksburg! :) Brad

Enjoy Brad!

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back