150th Anniversay of Gettysburg (4 Viewers)

Enjoy Brad!

Rob

Thanks Rob. I really enjoyed the real time walks at Chancellorsville. One of my favorite was Sunrise at Hazel Grove. it started at 6 am and lasted until about 8:30.

As we speak I am reading a brand new guide book to G'burg ' A Field Guide to Gettysburg' by Carol Reardon & Tom Vossler. In this new book it states that the park has now purchased (2011) land west of Willoughby run and Herbst's Woods where the Confederates of Archers Brigade ( Tennessee and Alabama) launched an attack that resulted in the death of General Reynolds before they were driven back by the Iron Brigade on the the first day. Hopefully this area will be marked out with trails and markers in the near future. (unless its already been done during publication of this book?)

Rob

Thanks Rob. I really enjoyed the real time walks at Chancellorsville. One of my favorite was Sunrise at Hazel Grove. it started at 6 am and lasted until about 8:30.

Sounds great Brad. Something about Battlefield walks at that hour, I've done many 7.00am walks on the Somme and they are really unforgettable.

Rob

Hi Rob.

If you want some quick reads with maps and photo's of what it looks like now. A great magazine is called Blue and Gray. They write an article and then have a tour and have pretty good maps. The last two were on the Chancellorsville battle. Great content.

Thought the following stamps would make a nice addition to it's Anniversay....The Lt.

framed659b6af7e75e0813cb7486d750b09e9c0a8b032_zpsf1441b05.jpg

frameb4f7438b827887b0ea2e66c5345adeaeeb05b54a_zps96b3e55e.jpg

framed2be40f72068f9432532da947898ffc06c430bd4_zpsb16ddde4.jpg

framebc2517c3eb05056446ad6a91bd40d6569a5c324a_zps1f8ab821.jpg

frame2dfeb09708549646fd42544eab6b28df8a65a3db_zps92634bcd.jpg

Hi Rob.

If you want some quick reads with maps and photo's of what it looks like now. A great magazine is called Blue and Gray. They write an article and then have a tour and have pretty good maps. The last two were on the Chancellorsville battle. Great content.

Hey Brad, sorry must have missed this post, yes that fine gentleman Alan (Trooper) here on the forum gave me some of those and they are very good indeed. ^&cool Fascinating magazine.

Rob

Rob and others,

I subscribe to the University of North Carolina Press's Civil War 150 blog. Yesterday's post was about Gettysburg and the Reardon book. See http://uncpresscivilwar150.com/2013...eed:+uncpresscivilwar150/ubZI+(Civil+War+150)

UNC is a leading university publisher on the Civil War and here is a link to some of the Gettysburg books they publish, http://uncpress.unc.edu/browse/page/830

Thanks Brad, some browsing here today whilst I watch Wimbledon!:wink2::salute::

Rob

Rob, I have a personal photography site at www.danwoodlief.com. There is a very big section on Gettysburg under the Civil War category. I think there are photos that will help.

Wow! Dan, thanks ever so much for posting your superb photos{eek3}^&cool They will indeed be of great help. Thank you once again.Best regards

Rob

I noticed the crowds have really picked up today. It reminds me of a small college town on the weekend before a big football game. Lots of reenactors.

Looks as though President Obama will be coming in November:

Next year, on November 19, 2013, we get to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the speech that set the moral compass for "a new birth of freedom." The president, who will be boarding the train from the White House to Gettysburg, Pennsylvania for the memoriam will be the very symbol of what that speech was dedicated to and what those soldiers died for.

The first African American president in this nation's history will walk the Gettysburg battlefield next year as the leader of our country. When he humbly observes the Soldier's National Cemetery, he will see all those who died for him and the nation we have today. Those warriors died for the freedom of people they never knew, and all of us who are free today will never know them, yet we are all connected.

Well, there goes my idea of going. With the President there, it will be even more of a zoo than it probably is. 151st for me!

Well, there goes my idea of going. With the President there, it will be even more of a zoo than it probably is. 151st for me!

I'm not sure if it is 100% confirmed. I imagine if it does happen that security will be a nightmare. Probably shutdown most of the town and limit tickets to people who have been pre-screened. The train idea is a good one. Hopefully it happens. Keep an eye on CSPAN starting this weekend for coverage of the anniversary events.

I'm not sure if it is 100% confirmed. I imagine if it does happen that security will be a nightmare. Probably shutdown most of the town and limit tickets to people who have been pre-screened. The train idea is a good one. Hopefully it happens. Keep an eye on CSPAN starting this weekend for coverage of the anniversary events.

Interesting. I remember saying to my wife not long after Obama first took office that it would be so appropriate if he went to Gettysburg for the 150th anniversary of the address. Very fitting in my opinion. Regardless of your political beliefs, it shows how far we actually have come since then, and it would be very symbolic.

Countdown is on. From Gettysburg Times - a summary of events from June 29, 1863:

For the soldiers who would soon meet in the fields around Gettysburg, Monday, June 29, 1863, was a long and tiresome day. The previous night General Robert E. Lee had learned of the proximity of the Northern army and early that morning issued orders that would result in the concentration of his forces. In the meantime, General George Gordon Meade ordered his army northward through Maryland across a broad front, defending the approaches to Baltimore and Washington. In command for only his second day, General Meade exhibited an aggressiveness rarely seen during the war, the 2nd Army Corps alone marching over 30 miles that day. With both armies in motion, knowledge of the enemy's whereabouts was paramount. On June 28, General Joseph T. Copeland and two regiments of his Michigan cavalry brigade had entered Gettysburg to gather information. The citizens of Gettysburg must have been both elated and shocked as this force constituted the advance of the Union Army of the Potomac. Local attorney David McConaughy, the leader of a band of independent civilian scouts, met with Copeland and gave a detailed report of the Confederate's activities over the preceding days. Copeland passed this information on to General Meade, who on June 29 directed one of his staff officers to send a note to McConaughy thanking him for his diligence. "You have grasped the information so well in its directness and minuteness that it is very valuable." An often overlooked aspect of the Gettysburg Campaign is the contribution of the Pennsylvania citizens in keeping the authorities informed as to the Southern army's movements. And certainly, David McConaughy is one of Gettysburg unsung heroes. Copeland's force retired from Gettysburg on the morning of June 29, but by that night both Union and Confederate forces were encamped in Adams County. General Henry Heth's Confederate division was encamped at Cashtown with a small detachment in Fairfield. General John Buford's Union cavalry division had reached Fountaindale, and General Kilpatrick's cavalry was at Littlestown. That evening, Samuel Herbst, a resident Chambersburg Street, struck out on a swift horse down the Emmitsburg Road "to secure, if possible, some information of the Army of the Potomac." He came back late at night with comforting assurance, that the road this side of Frederick was thronged with the marching ranks of the "boys in blue." The news flew through the town like wildfire. Glad and thankful people sought rest that night with hearts relieved. Sallie Myers, a resident of High Street, wrote in her diary that night that the enemy's "campfires can be seen in the mountains. Our men in great numbers are advancing from Frederick and we may expect a battle both near and soon. God help us." Gettysburg sat between the two armies with ten roads radiating from its center. Alice Powers wrote that "a pall of apprehension" hung over the town. "Of all the dark days, ever endured Monday was the darkest."

Timothy H. Smith

CSPAN 3 is running a number of Gettysburg related programs today. Gettysburg Times summary of the events of June 30, 1863:

Early on the morning of June 30, 1863, Union cavalry General John Buford rode into the crossroads town of Gettysburg with two brigades of horseman numbering approximately 3,000 troopers. He was joyously received by the local citizens, who had less enthusiastically hosted Confederate General Jubal Early's infantry on June 26. "Men, women and children crowded the sidewalks and vied with each in demonstrations of joyous welcome." General Buford established his headquarters at the Eagle Hotel, the current site of a convenience store at Chambersburg and Washington Streets.

West of Gettysburg, in Cashtown, General A.P. Hill positioned his Confederate infantry corps. Generally, cavalry preceded infantry on scouting missions, but in this instance, General J.E.B. Stuart's cavalry was elsewhere. Therefore, J. Johnston Pettigrew's brigade of approximately 2,700 North Carolinians had to conduct a scouting mission towards Gettysburg on the Chambersburg Pike. Pettigrew's commander, General Henry Heth, had warned him that the town might be defended by a "home guard," which he would have no trouble driving off. However, should he meet troops capable of resistance he was "not to bring on an engagement."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back