150th Anniversay of Gettysburg (6 Viewers)

I have seen/done some pretty neat things in my life but one of the most I will remember is the day I got to see my Great-Great Grandfathers Battleflag at the Confederate Museum in Richmond.

I can only imagine his thoughts as he took this Flag into battle 150 years ago this week, it was almost errie to think what this Flag saw those few days, death, injuries, the loss of a battle.

I wasn't suppose to touch the flag but my wife distracted the care taker with a few questions about the battle and I rubbed the very end corner of it and to actually touch a piece of history that my ancestor fought under was indeed something I will never forget...Sammy

065.jpg

Nice one Sammy and congratulations, that's quite something. Do you know how the battle went for your Great Great Grandfather??

Rob

I have seen/done some pretty neat things in my life but one of the most I will remember is the day I got to see my Great-Great Grandfathers Battleflag at the Confederate Museum in Richmond.

I can only imagine his thoughts as he took this Flag into battle 150 years ago this week, it was almost errie to think what this Flag saw those few days, death, injuries, the loss of a battle.

I wasn't suppose to touch the flag but my wife distracted the care taker with a few questions about the battle and I rubbed the very end corner of it and to actually touch a piece of history that my ancestor fought under was indeed something I will never forget...Sammy

065.jpg

That is amazing Sammy! Simply Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

While I didn't make it to Gettysburg this year, it is kind of like my great-great-grandfather's experience. No, he was not stuck at work on a computer. His North Carolina regiment was detached from Pettigrew's division on the way north to guard a bridge. Hence, he missed the charge on July 3 and was probably quite lucky for having done so. I do hope to visit The Wilderness battlefield again for the 150th. He took part in that battle and was then wounded in a major clash between The Wilderness and Spotsylvania. Another Woodlief from near where I grew up was killed at Gettysburg, but he is from a different line of the family name.

Nice one Sammy and congratulations, that's quite something. Do you know how the battle went for your Great Great Grandfather??

Rob

Well Rob here's what my take is, maybe Bob has more input..... but under General Heth the 55th took part in the beginning of the battle at Gettysburg, actually they were sent to gather shoes for the battle but took up battle on July 1st and helped win the battle at Herrs ridge and captured the colors of the 149th Pennsylvainia (sorry Brad):) they suffered a good amount of wounded/dead and the 55th didn't fight on the 2nd of July, but on the 3rd of July at Picketts charge the 55th stationed well far left of the Rebel advancement lost the pace of the advancement and fell back and we all know how Pickets charge ended, as far as I know my Great Great Grandfather was present through all of those battles but as the 55th fell out and retreated out of Gettysburg he was captured at Cashtown on July 5th and sent to Fort Delaware to the wars end, after hearing of conditions at the camp I'm lucky to be alive today:) thanks to GG father for hanging tough.

as far as the 55th flag I'm pictured with, it was captured by the 7th Michigan Calvary at Falling Waters Maryland as the 55th was at the rear during the retreat from Gettsyburg, a second flag was made for the unit shortly there after for the duration of the war, that flag was also present at the Mueseum so I got to see both flags.

If anyone has a interest in the Civil War I suggest taking a trip to the Mueseum of the Confederacy in Richmond, right next to the Jefferson Davis White House, tons of artifacts, also the basement for the flag room, you can contact them in advance to see a ancestors flag (if it's there) can't wait to go back again...Sammy

Sort of apropos of Sammy's post, there was a recent news article where the State of Virginia requested the return or a loan of a battleflag captured by a Minnesota regiment and the Governor of Minnesota refused. I can look it up and get a link if anyone is interested.

Sort of apropos of Sammy's post, there was a recent news article where the State of Virginia requested the return or a loan of a battleflag captured by a Minnesota regiment and the Governor of Minnesota refused. I can look it up and get a link if anyone is interested.

The ACW links you post are always interesting mate:wink2:

Rob

Looking down Seminary Ridge about 10AM this morning:

Opening of the Seminary Ridge Museum:

Looking east toward the Seminary:

Couple more. Sight of John Reynolds' death - almost 150 years to the minute (give or take):

Another with an army of tourists:

From Seminary Ridge looking west toward the direction from which the Confederates would be attacking up the Chambersburg Pike:

McPherson barn looking west (again about 10AM):

Looking east toward Seminary Ridge:

Well Rob here's what my take is, maybe Bob has more input..... but under General Heth the 55th took part in the beginning of the battle at Gettysburg, actually they were sent to gather shoes for the battle but took up battle on July 1st and helped win the battle at Herrs ridge and captured the colors of the 149th Pennsylvainia (sorry Brad):) they suffered a good amount of wounded/dead and the 55th didn't fight on the 2nd of July, but on the 3rd of July at Picketts charge the 55th stationed well far left of the Rebel advancement lost the pace of the advancement and fell back and we all know how Pickets charge ended, as far as I know my Great Great Grandfather was present through all of those battles but as the 55th fell out and retreated out of Gettysburg he was captured at Cashtown on July 5th and sent to Fort Delaware to the wars end, after hearing of conditions at the camp I'm lucky to be alive today:) thanks to GG father for hanging tough.

as far as the 55th flag I'm pictured with, it was captured by the 7th Michigan Calvary at Falling Waters Maryland as the 55th was at the rear during the retreat from Gettsyburg, a second flag was made for the unit shortly there after for the duration of the war, that flag was also present at the Mueseum so I got to see both flags.

If anyone has a interest in the Civil War I suggest taking a trip to the Mueseum of the Confederacy in Richmond, right next to the Jefferson Davis White House, tons of artifacts, also the basement for the flag room, you can contact them in advance to see a ancestors flag (if it's there) can't wait to go back again...Sammy
Sammy, the info I have on the 55th Va. shows them as part of Brockenbrough's Brigade, which was, indeed, on the left of the line at Pickett's Charge. The regiment suffered 23.9% casualties during the battle (13 KIA, 32 WIA, 19 MIA, for a total of 64 out of 268 present). They were commanded by Col. William S. Christian. Later, at Falling Waters, the 55th suffered another 57 men captured, which included Col. Christian, Lt. Col. Rice, and left the regiment under Maj. Robert Fauntleroy's command. It was a costly campaign for the 55th Va. -- Al

Splendid pics Doug thanks for sharing them here.

Rob

Thanks Brad, I'm afraid the page had expired though mate.

Rob

Not sure why it wasn't working. Anyway, I copied the article and here it is.

During yesterday's Capitol sendoff for a group of Minnesota Civil War reenactors who are headed to Pennsylvania to commemorate the 150th anniversary of Gettysburg, Governor Mark Dayton said it would basically take another civil war for Virginia to reclaim a Confederate flag that was seized by Minnesota soldiers during the 1863 battle.

The Virginia 28th's blood-stained, bullet-pierced flag is currently on display at the Minnesota History Center, but some Virginians, including Governor Bob McDonnell, want it returned to its state of origin.

Though most surrendered or captured Civil War battle flags were returned to their original states early in the 20th century, the Virginia 28th's remained in Minnesota. But "[t]he Virginia Historical Society asked for the flag back in the early 1960s, and a group of Civil War re-enactors from that state threatened to sue to get the flag back in 1998," MPR reporsts. Recently, Virginia Governor McDonnell asked Minnesota officials to "loan" the flag back to his state for a period of time.

But yesterday, Dayton said the flag will stay in St. Paul as long as he's living in the governor's mansion.

"The third day of Gettysburg, the 47 Minnesotans that survived the day before, rejoined the battle and that was the day that they captured the flag of the regiment of Virginia... which resides in the Minnesota Historical Society to this day," Dayton said. "The governor of Virginia earlier this year requested that the flag be loaned, quote, unquote, to Virginia to commemorate -- it doesn't quite strike me as something they would want to commemorate, but we declined that invitation."

"It was taken in a battle at the cost of the blood of all these Minnesotans," Dayton continued. "And I think it would be a sacrilege to return it to them. It was something that was earned through the incredible courage and valor men who gave their lives and risked their lived to obtain it. And as far as I'm concerned, it's a closed subject."

Later on, retired Mankato teacher and Civil War reenactor Arn Kind told reporters that if Virginia is going to bellyache about their lost flag, then Minnesota should hound Texas for a 3rd Minnesota flag that was surrendered in Tennessee.

"The last I heard that [flag] belongs to a Texas ranger, but you don't hear us crying about it," Kind said.

With reenactors like that, let's the Gettysburg commemoration doesn't spark some sort of Red State-Blue State conflagration!

Thanks ever so much Brad , very interesting to read that. Now I don't want to ignite another War but I feel once the flag is captured it stays captured. In Edinburgh Castle there is the Eagle that Sgt Ewell captured at Waterloo, I think it would be an outrage to give it back, as your article states they were earned in blood.

Thanks again mate
Rob

Not sure why it wasn't working. Anyway, I copied the article and here it is.

During yesterday's Capitol sendoff for a group of Minnesota Civil War reenactors who are headed to Pennsylvania to commemorate the 150th anniversary of Gettysburg, Governor Mark Dayton said it would basically take another civil war for Virginia to reclaim a Confederate flag that was seized by Minnesota soldiers during the 1863 battle.

The Virginia 28th's blood-stained, bullet-pierced flag is currently on display at the Minnesota History Center, but some Virginians, including Governor Bob McDonnell, want it returned to its state of origin.

Though most surrendered or captured Civil War battle flags were returned to their original states early in the 20th century, the Virginia 28th's remained in Minnesota. But "[t]he Virginia Historical Society asked for the flag back in the early 1960s, and a group of Civil War re-enactors from that state threatened to sue to get the flag back in 1998," MPR reporsts. Recently, Virginia Governor McDonnell asked Minnesota officials to "loan" the flag back to his state for a period of time.

But yesterday, Dayton said the flag will stay in St. Paul as long as he's living in the governor's mansion.

"The third day of Gettysburg, the 47 Minnesotans that survived the day before, rejoined the battle and that was the day that they captured the flag of the regiment of Virginia... which resides in the Minnesota Historical Society to this day," Dayton said. "The governor of Virginia earlier this year requested that the flag be loaned, quote, unquote, to Virginia to commemorate -- it doesn't quite strike me as something they would want to commemorate, but we declined that invitation."

"It was taken in a battle at the cost of the blood of all these Minnesotans," Dayton continued. "And I think it would be a sacrilege to return it to them. It was something that was earned through the incredible courage and valor men who gave their lives and risked their lived to obtain it. And as far as I'm concerned, it's a closed subject."

Later on, retired Mankato teacher and Civil War reenactor Arn Kind told reporters that if Virginia is going to bellyache about their lost flag, then Minnesota should hound Texas for a 3rd Minnesota flag that was surrendered in Tennessee.

"The last I heard that [flag] belongs to a Texas ranger, but you don't hear us crying about it," Kind said.

With reenactors like that, let's the Gettysburg commemoration doesn't spark some sort of Red State-Blue State conflagration!

Rob,

The only thing I would point out is that many flags have been returned over the years but I do understand the sentiment on both sides.

Brad

Rob,

The only thing I would point out is that many flags have been returned over the years but I do understand the sentiment on both sides.

Brad

Yes I do agree there Brad, obviously pride and honour on both sides involved here.

Rob

Pickett's charge tomorrow. Hopefully some folks will post pictures. I think standing on the Union side - although less eventful - might be the best perspective to get a sense of what it looked like to see an army emerging from Seminary Ridge.

The National Park Service will host a Pickett's Charge commemorative march on July 3, during which visitors will be able to walk in the footsteps of Confederate soldiers exactly 150 years after they first made the fateful charge.

"Typically the visitor is not a participant in this," said NPS supervisory historian Scott Hartwig. "Many people have ancestors who fought and the experience of walking the field is a very moving experience."

That is why the Park Service decided to take up the task and host what is expected to be a very large event, Hartwig said.

Park rangers will organize anyone who wants to participate into brigades and the march will end with the playing of Echo Taps.

"This event was tragic and very meaningful for a lot of people," Hartwig said, so the Park Service wanted to commemorate it in an important way.

I noticed Jeff Shaara is signging books tonight at Lord Nelson's Gallery for anyone in Gettysburg. They seemed to have most of his books in hard cover - civil war, WWI, WII etc.

Just got done today with Longstreets Assault. Originally I was going to be in Pettigrews Brigade. But they had about 400-600 people in it. But Lanes and Scales were under represented. So I went in Lanes Brigade. Truly inspiring. Walking the fields. Hearing the cannons going off. Amazing experience. I will post some pics. Brad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back