150th Anniversay of Gettysburg (2 Viewers)

gettysburg 150th 096 (640x480).jpggettysburg 150th 107 (640x480).jpg

Here are two pictures. The first picture you can see Pettigrews Brigade in front of us. We stepped off about 10 minutes after the first line. (That was the approximately delay). It was really cool. We dressed lines a few times. You really felt like you were there. An experience I will never forget. Brad

Great thread guys, during a trip to the US back in the summer of 2011, I was very fortunate to visit Gettysburg as part of a day trip from Washington. Had a wonderful day and covered a lot of ground, including a walkabout around the village and a tour of the battlefield. Could easily have spent another day there. What a huge place and so quiet......I particularly enjoyed viewing the massive diorama of the 3 day battle and being able to feely go walk-about all the monuments and canons. One of the highlights of the whole trip:salute::

View attachment 131024View attachment 131025

Here are two pictures. The first picture you can see Pettigrews Brigade in front of us. We stepped off about 10 minutes after the first line. (That was the approximately delay). It was really cool. We dressed lines a few times. You really felt like you were there. An experience I will never forget. Brad

Wonderful stuff Brad, I am so pleased for you mate and a tad jealous too! Man I would have loved to walk that field, quite a memory for you there my friend^&cool

Thanks for posting

Rob

This is a great thread. As it is the anniversary of Gettysburg, I want to mention the OTHER anniversary of today that took place 150 years ago and was of even greater import to the outcome of the ACW, the fall of Vicksburg. That defeat undid the South and whatever chance to win that ever existed for them. -- Al

Very true, July 3rd and 4th were not good days for the Confederates, the defeat and losses at Gettysburg combined with the fall of Vicksburg and the surrender of those troops was the beginning of the end for the CSA.

Another photograph from this morning's program on Gardners death studies. This is the location where it was taken and when the soldier was found. He was one of many unknowns. Outstanding program. gettysburg 150th anniversary july 4th 009 (640x480).jpg

Wonderful stuff Brad, I am so pleased for you mate and a tad jealous too! Man I would have loved to walk that field, quite a memory for you there my friend^&cool

Thanks for posting

Rob

Thanks Rob. It was something I will never forget. Hearing people do the rebel yell (although I am a Yankee, and that is who I usually study) while walking through the tall grass was amazing. Although our "brigade Commander" wouldn't let us climb the fence (Pettigrew was allowed, but I think she saw how badly they were doing and was worried we would kill ourselves climing over the fence :) )

Thanks Rob. It was something I will never forget. Hearing people do the rebel yell (although I am a Yankee, and that is who I usually study) while walking through the tall grass was amazing. Although our "brigade Commander" wouldn't let us climb the fence (Pettigrew was allowed, but I think she saw how badly they were doing and was worried we would kill ourselves climing over the fence :) )

That's excellent Brad, glad you had a ball mate and thanks for the pics:salute::.

Can I also say that the FL flagbearer figure you got is superb, terrific looking figure. I didn't say this over on the FL thread because it would be met with ' you've crawled out of the woodwork' or other such pleasantries and probably 'He's being paid by K&C bla bla bla':rolleyes2: ....but this is my thread so I can say it here...nice purchase my friend!:salute::

Rob

That's excellent Brad, glad you had a ball mate and thanks for the pics:salute::.

Can I also say that the FL flagbearer figure you got is superb, terrific looking figure. I didn't say this over on the FL thread because it would be met with ' you've crawled out of the woodwork' or other such pleasantries and probably 'He's being paid by K&C bla bla bla':rolleyes2: ....but this is my thread so I can say it here...nice purchase my friend!:salute::

Rob

Thanks Rob! Much appreciated. Oh, I forgot to add the picture below looks blurry because it was taken in 3d (Sterio View). So we were given 3d glasses to "bring them to life". Really cool!

One more reenactment to go this weekend. A couple of things stand out this year. There seemed to be more interest this year on the role of civilians. Particularly in the aftermath of the battle with thousands of dead and wounded on their hands. Also, the lesser know practice of Confederates rounding up blacks to send into slavery. http://www.timesdispatch.com/opinio...cle_41fe942b-567d-5aaf-8564-2ba611cdf079.html

Thanks for this Doug. How was your home town today, still busy or are crowds easing now?

Rob

Thanks for this Doug. How was your home town today, still busy or are crowds easing now?

Rob

Very busy. Someone told me they sold 60K tickets for the reenactment this weekend. They are holding it just outside Gettysburg but most folks are staying in town. I would expect things to ease up next week. And it's boiling hot. I pity anyone in a wool uniform.

One of the interesting things about the 150th of GB is we hear little about Vicksburg. I saw an interesting post by John Hennessy (Historian at Fredericksburg NB). Basically saying although we know with hindsight that Gettysburg/Vicksburg was the turning point. In July 1863, all the people knew was a bloody victory had been achieved at Gettysburg, Draft riots, in the fall the abortive mine run campaign leading up the very bloody overland campaign in 1864. But all the people knew in 1863 was a bloody battle had been fought with Lee's army still intact. Which meant more fighting.

As a side note I have a diary from a guy who was in a cavalry unit in the Suffolk region of Virginia and the interesting thing is he mentions Chancellorsville, and the surrender of Vicksburg. But nothing of Gettysburg.

It is also too bad not too much was heard about the 150th for Vicksburg. Brad

Vicksburg was actually more significant: 30,000 troops were lost to the Confedeacy and control of the Mississippi was lost.

Vicksburg was actually more significant: 30,000 troops were lost to the Confedeacy and control of the Mississippi was lost.

Although one of the controversies was the 30K trooper was that they were issued paroles and in theory they would have to wait until properly exchanged before they could pick up arms. The question some historians were they properly changed before they fought again. (and of course, while waiting to be paroled, just go back home).

I totally agree! Gettysburg was more a bleeding for the confederate army while the lost of Viksburg, a real tactical loss and the first Grant s victory, the start of a carreer...

Last edited:
I totally agree! Gettysburg was more a bleeding for the confederate army while the lost of Viksburg, a real tactical loss and the first Grant s victory, the start of a carreer...

The lost of Vicksburg was sure.

The only way to save the defenders was to follow general Johnston orders: leave the town and save the army in it.But the inept commander of Vicksburg had the friendship of president Davies, and his stupid, stubborn idea of defending the indefensible town was supported.

This silly,unuseful idea of defending a border or a town made many damages: the vane confederate early attempt to defend a so long fronteer, and in modern times, the Maginot line and the atlantic wall failures.....Great generals like Lee, Johnston, Longstreet understood that a land or a city can be lost, the main thing is to save its own army and destroy the opposite one.

Last edited:
To give up Vicksburg would mean giving up control of the lower Mississippi River, splitting the South in two and cut Richmond off from the Western half of the Confederacy. To do so without a fight would have been politically unsupportable. Perhaps the fault lies in having the situation get that far.

To give up Vicksburg would mean giving up control of the lower Mississippi River, splitting the South in two and cut Richmond off from the Western half of the Confederacy. To do so without a fight would have been politically unsupportable. Perhaps the fault lies in having the situation get that far.

I agree about the importance of Vicksburg,of not splitting in 2 the confederation; the supplies, meat coming from Texas, the army in Arkansas and so on...But the city was defended for a long time and till the end.When it was going to be surrounded by Grant' s army no more chances of saving the town were on...But was on the possibility to save an army which could have been very useful. The decision let lose both of them, city and army.

You said the point : leaving it without a fight would have been politically unsupportable....And when politics decides instead of generals ,usually the wars get lost ( just see the Mussolini and Hitler' s refusal to retreat for political reasons on different fronts).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back