2008 East Coast Toy Soldier Show (Hackensack) (2 Viewers)

theBaron

Major
I just got back home from the show, and a big thumbs-up to Bill Lango for another great show.

There was a good crowd, and a good number of dealers, with more space than in previous years, because the school had the bleachers fully retracted.

It was nice to visit again in person with the vendors I've met over the years, and collectors, and talk shop. The ever-gracious Norman Joplin was there to autograph copies of his new book, which is highly recommended, got to talk also with Rich Dutkin, and with Matt Murphy, saw George Guerrero, but he was surrounded by patrons, so I didn't get to talk, but I hope that was a sign of how the show went for you, George.

For painters like me, there was a wealth of Stadden castings, at several tables. There has been a drought of those, around here, anyway, for almost 2 years. I took advantage of the opportunity to get some bargains.

Sorry, Russell, I didn't see you, and I forgot to take my TF badge with me (D'OH!), but I hope you got down to the show and hope you had a good time, too.

All in all, very enjoyable!

I hope to see you local guys in 3 weeks at Langhorne!

Prost!
Brad

We need to see a few picutres........everyone knows folks need a Good

reason to actually travel to Hackensack, New Joisey!

I mean braving the radioactivity, and natural aroma of Hakensack's fresh

clean "Country Air".

I started a rumor......uh I read somewhere that next to Hackensack's Air

quality.......Chernobyl was now considered "Clean":D

Ja ve leed the world in scientific technology..........or is it Vodka

consumption?:D

Uh oh.....I told you not to cool the reactor with vodka!

Attachments

• chernobyl.jpg
    chernobyl.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 368
I met Russell today and we had a chance to talk for a few minutes. Very nice person. He was taking photos and would post them when he got back to Canada. We met up at Ted Toy, who had some very nice things. I was quite impressed.

The show was great I really enjoyed it. Found a few things to make me happy lol. But yea overall great! :)

I had a good time at the East Coast Show. But first, on Saturday, I went to Jim Hillestad’s open house and saw his impressive collection for myself. Jim and his wife were gracious, and the dioramas Jim has prepared are a pleasure to behold.
Sorry I missed you Brad, and Jazzeum, it was a pleasure meeting you.
Below, I hope, are a few photos taken at Jim Hillestad's museum. The outdoor photo was taken at the entrance to the museum. The other two photos are just a few from the many dioramas to be seen.

Attachments

• Jim-Diorams-Baker-St..jpg
    Jim-Diorams-Baker-St..jpg
    41 KB · Views: 547
  • Jim's-Buckingham.jpg
    Jim's-Buckingham.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 311
  • Jim's-outdoor-figures.jpg
    Jim's-outdoor-figures.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 335
At the show I spoke to Bill Lango and, like Brad, I'd like to mention what a gentleman he is.
The Old Northwest Trading Co. was there and even though I generally prefer gloss figures I must say I was really impressed with their WWI tanks, especially the British one. It looks really good. I also saw a couple of of sets of the old Britain WWI gloss tank. These were selling for two and three hundred dollars while the new Northwest one is just a bit over $100. I don't know how much they went for originally.

Attachments

• Noth-West-WWI.jpg
    Noth-West-WWI.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 324
John Jenkins was also at Jim Hillestad’s open house and at the show. John is another wonderful person. He explained to me how he sculpts his figures. He starts with a stick figure made of wire which has the general pose. It is anchored into a base of what seemed hardened putty.Then using a mixture of putties, which harden in a few hours, he adds the putty to the stick figure and begins skulpting a naked figure. When the 'nude' has hardened he adds more putty and so begins to 'dress' the figure. All this is done with two tools: one for sculpting and the other smoothing out the sculpted work.
Below is a photo of John with one of his new creations. I believe they are some Roger's Rangers in a boat, probably on their way to making our lives miserable in Quebec. The second photo is a close up of the Rangers in their boat. The third photo is of a cluster of Scots charging at the Battle of Culloden.
John told me that he can sculpt up to twelve figures a month. Of course, this is working full-time.

PS I'm not a professional reporter and so I might have got some of the information wrong. I was having too much fun.

Attachments

• John-&-his-boat.jpg
    John-&-his-boat.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 269
  • J.-Jenkins-new-rogers-boat-.jpg
    J.-Jenkins-new-rogers-boat-.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 271
  • John's-Cullodan.jpg
    John's-Cullodan.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 378
I believe the Gunboat below is by Avon Toy Soldiers run by Joe Demarco in New Jersey. The other two photos are what ,I think, are called dime store figures. I never had any and so don't know anything about them.

Attachments

• Gunboat.jpg
    Gunboat.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 395
  • Big-Amer.-old.jpg
    Big-Amer.-old.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 308
  • Fat-Amer-#2.jpg
    Fat-Amer-#2.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 489
There were also flats, both painted and unpainted.

Attachments

• Flats-#1.jpg
    Flats-#1.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 262
  • Flats-#2.jpg
    Flats-#2.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 432
  • Flats-#3.jpg
    Flats-#3.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 281
Hi, Russell, I saw those boats, too, the most expensive one represented a US destroyer from WWII, $2500!! Not badly done, either, but the ones we've had displayed here are just as nice, IMO.

So, all of you guys who've built your own, I think you could probably make a bundle!

Prost!
Brad

I also took these photos of some Mignots, antique/old Britain figures, and Britain cavalry from the 1990s. When I came by this table again some time after the photo was taken, I noticed all the lancers had been sold.
In the final photo are all the parts you can buy to paint and fill out a diarama.

Attachments

• Migot-Infantry.jpg
    Migot-Infantry.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 192
  • Old-Britains-Arabs.jpg
    Old-Britains-Arabs.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 193
  • Old-Britains-Lancers.jpg
    Old-Britains-Lancers.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 189
  • Pieces.jpg
    Pieces.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 192
I'm reaching the end. The first photo here is of WWI gloss figures and I believe the figures are made by Remsons at remsonco.com. Unfortunately I forget who was displaying the Roman figures. The third photo was at the Hobby Bunker tables which were very busy.

Attachments

• WWI-unknown.jpg
    WWI-unknown.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 184
  • Romans.jpg
    Romans.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 222
  • WW2.jpg
    WW2.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 183
Finally here are a couple of photos of figures being sold by TedSoldiers.

I'm sorry the photos are not all quite in focus. It has something to do with the speed settings and my daughter wasn't there to fix it up for me. I was too busy looking at the offerings to try and figure it out. Cheers.

Attachments

• Ted-Toy-Indians.jpg
    Ted-Toy-Indians.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 181
  • Ted's-Cowboys.jpg
    Ted's-Cowboys.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 184
Russell,
Thanks for posting the pictures. I got some neat photos also of the Avon gunboats as they were very exciting to look at. I will post some more when I get a chance. I was thinking, like Brad, that they would be great to use for reference and ideas for guys like Maddicus and Kilted Vampire and others.
Mike

By the way did anyone stop by to see Richard Conte and if so did you by chance have your camera with you taking a few photos? Thanks for providing your photos Russell..........The Lt.

I did go by the Conte tables. There were many people and lots of items on display both in metal and plastic. The viking ship was on sale at a discount but it wasn't on display, at least, not when I was there. The ships were in large boxes, maybe 2' X 2' X 3'.
Alas, I didn't take any photos there. Maybe someone else will post some.

Wow thanks alot Russell for the photo,

I love the street display and also the Buckingham Palace display. Quite a few different makers on display in those two.

FABULOUS !!!!! :D :D :D :D

Here are a few quick pictures of the Hobby Bunker tables minutes before the show opened.

We produced the massive WWII display piece for the show in house. We can do custom bases upon request. I will also post more of the pics under Dioramas.

Thanks to all that attended for another great show!
Matt

Attachments

• IMG_3540 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_3540 (Medium).JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_3533 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_3533 (Medium).JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_3539 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_3539 (Medium).JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_3541 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_3541 (Medium).JPG
    79 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_3535 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_3535 (Medium).JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 165
We need to see a few picutres........everyone knows folks need a Good

reason to actually travel to Hackensack, New Joisey!

I mean braving the radioactivity, and natural aroma of Hakensack's fresh

clean "Country Air".

I started a rumor......uh I read somewhere that next to Hackensack's Air

quality.......Chernobyl was now considered "Clean":D

Ja ve leed the world in scientific technology..........or is it Vodka

consumption?:D

Uh oh.....I told you not to cool the reactor with vodka!

Call me a nutter or a damm tourist but I would like to visit NJ mainly to see things like the New Jersey Turnpike which are all name checked in various Bruce SPringsteen songs. I will have to wait until tomorrow though to see whether I have to book my visa through the Cuban Cultural Exchange Porgram or the Normal US embassy depending on the election result:):)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back