2008 East Coast Toy Soldier Show (Hackensack) (3 Viewers)

Call me a nutter or a damm tourist but I would like to visit NJ mainly to see things like the New Jersey Turnpike which are all name checked in various Bruce SPringsteen songs. I will have to wait until tomorrow though to see whether I have to book my visa through the Cuban Cultural Exchange Porgram or the Normal US embassy depending on the election result:):)

Isn't that the truth! Well I hope you get to visit New Jersey, one of the greatest places on Earth!

I have traveled all over the world, but New Jersey will always be my home! I
grew up there, spent my first 26 years of life there at the Jersey Shore, surfing winter & summer. Tooled around first in my 1961 Corvette, then my 1969 Chevelle SS 396/375......what a place to grow up!

Pizza, Subs, Stewarts Drive In's, great bakeries, the Jersey shore.....heaven on Earth!

Attachments

• PIZZAS.jpg
    PIZZAS.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 185
  • WHOSE_ROOTBEER.jpg
    WHOSE_ROOTBEER.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 184
  • SKIBALL.jpg
    SKIBALL.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 177
You're right, njja, it's nice to visit, but I think I'll keep my home here in PA. We've got the Phils and the Iggles; TastyKakes; scrapple; Yocco's; Victory Brewing, Stoudt's and Weyerbacher's; farmers markets like Zern's and the Q-mart; the Poconos.

Though, the trip along '78 is a nice scenic drive, and at this time of the year, everything is gold and red.

I just wish the I-78/Parkway interchange were marked better. Every other year, I wind up missing the turnoff coming back, and I head all the way down to Exit 130 before I can turn around and get back. You don't get on the Parkway from 78 at the same exit as you use to get from the Parkway back onto 78.

But I did enjoy $2.25 a gallon gas!

Prost!
Brad

Damian,
Disregard NJJA's wanderings...The places he laments don't exist any more. They've been bulldozed to put up "affordable housing". Come to the real New Jersy up in Sussex County, we'll open the gate for you! Mike

Attachments

• 2316033505_b2da116664.jpg
    2316033505_b2da116664.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 168
It is becoming harder to find a Stewart's. Vesuvio's in Belmar and Vic's in Bradley Beach is still the best Pizza. I remember spending hours as a teenager sitting in front of Skee Ball alleys waxing the wooden balls at Belmar Playland, which has been torn down to build some very expensive houses. I paid 2.11 for gas on Monday.

Love Ocean City, too! Kohr Bros. frozen custard rules! And Oves, for breakfast.

Just gotta bring your own booze, since it's a dry town, prost!
Brad

Oh I don't know, there is a Stewarts on St. George's Ave two blocks from my

family home. It has been there for 50 years since I cooked there as a kid.

There is also one a few miles from my daughters home in Princeton.

Some areas of the shore have fallen on hard times, but Long Beach Island

where I spent all my time is still booming......a nice waterside home will set

you back a cool Mil +.

But you are close to Ronjon's!:D

North Jersey is nice.......ah do you ride them cows?:D

Pennsylvania is ok, you have the York Train shows, Philly Cheese Stakes,

love the scrapple........and of course the Elite Fighting troops........The

Eagle & Steeler Fans!:eek:

Long Beach Island.....can you smell that salt air?

First Ron Jon's was in an old gas station as you headed off the island. Old

office had the cash register, one bay for boards, the other wet suits, tee's

and those neat old water buffalo sandals!

Attachments

• Ron Jon-.jpg
    Ron Jon-.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 151
  • Surf City-.jpg
    Surf City-.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 136
Njja,
Two points of interest:
1. They are horses , not cows
2. I lived in Harvey Cedars for two years when RonJon's was a Quanset Hut with hatchcovers.
:)
Mike

"Tooled around first in my 1961 Corvette, then my 1969 Chevelle SS 396/375"

John, now you are talking my lingo; my first car was a 1972 Dodge Challenger, white with a 318 like the one from "Vanishing point", my second was a 1969 Chevelle SS with a 396 I had bored out to a 402...........man, those were the days, that car passed everything but the gas station..........................

Njja,
Two points of interest:
1. They are horses , not cows
2. I lived in Harvey Cedars for two years when RonJon's was a Quanset Hut with hatchcovers.
:)
Mike

Ah.....whats the difference?:D

I mean you can ride both can't you?

Its just that the Bulls don't appreciate it as much as the horses seem to!

Harvey Cedars, Loveladies, Ship Bottom.....even the names are cool!

John, now you are talking my lingo; my first car was a 1972 Dodge Challenger, white with a 318 like the one from "Vanishing point", my second was a 1969 Chevelle SS with a 396 I had bored out to a 402...........man, those were the days, that car passed everything but the gas station..........................

Of course back then I was paying .36 a gallon for Sunoco 260.:eek: Since then I have driven Corvettes with a Porsche thrown in oh and I had a SS454
Pickup for awhile.......now that was a real Pig $25 a day for gas on the weekend when it was well under $2 a gallon!

I have now learned my lesson and cruise around on the Harleys.....60 mpg!

Of course there is that SSR I plan to pick up shortly........seems I just can't
break the habit!:eek:

Being from the mid west I thought every body in Jersey was mobbed up, it has to be true, I watched the Sopranos!
Gary

Ah.....whats the difference?:D

I mean you can ride both can't you?

Its just that the Bulls don't appreciate it as much as the horses seem to!

Harvey Cedars, Loveladies, Ship Bottom.....even the names are cool!

I know, I know, our house was one block into Loveladies on the bayside corner, forgive me if I like to say Harvey Cedars. It's still there, 4 blocks down from where we commoners rent now. It'd be paradise without the NY license plates on every other.:rolleyes:;):mad::)
Mike

Being from the mid west I thought every body in Jersey was mobbed up, it has to be true, I watched the Sopranos!
Gary

Mob? What Mob?.....theres no Mob......and Jersey?

Certainly no Mob in Jersey.........only Mob I know about

is in Washington, DC:eek:

And thy take the rest of us to the cleaners....on a daily basis!:eek:

Question??? Did anyone who attended the show take any pictures of what Richard Conte brought to the show.....The Lt.

Sorry, Lt.
I don't remember even seeing his booth. Of course I was on a different mission.
Mike

Question??? Did anyone who attended the show take any pictures of what Richard Conte brought to the show.....The Lt.

Did you look at Russell's pics earlier in the thread? He may have taken some pictures. On the other hand, every time I passed the table, there was a crowd, and it may have been hard to get any good shots.

Prost!
Brad

Last edited:

My first car was a 1973 Plymouth Valient with a bad transmission:mad: . . . it could barely go up hills:eek: . . . you rich kids have all the fun!:rolleyes:

At the beginning of this thread I posted some photos of the East Coast Show last Sunday. Here are some photos of some of my purchases. The first photo is a Britain Premier Set; the Vicker gun crew. The second comes from a table where some figures were being sold individually at a discount. The show being held on November 2nd, they still had their Halloween masks on. These figures are made in New Zealand by Soldiers of the World, an outfit I had never heard of before.

The dealer who sold them to me has a shop just by the gate at West Point. Can anyone tell me his name or the name of his shop so that I can contact him?

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_1602.JPG
    IMG_1602.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_1603.JPG
    IMG_1603.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 178
Later I went by the same dealer and bought two boxed sets and four individual figures, all made by Soldiers of the World.
The first two photos show the two boxed sets, the third photo shows the individual figures, and the final photo is all of them together. The boxed sets are labeled as Voltiguers.
I think they will go well with the castings from Tradition which I've painted.

Attachments

• IMG_1604.JPG
    IMG_1604.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_1605.JPG
    IMG_1605.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_1608.JPG
    IMG_1608.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_1610.JPG
    IMG_1610.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 327
The dealer who sold them to me has a shop just by the gate at West Point. Can anyone tell me his name or the name of his shop so that I can contact him?

Cheers

Russell,
here's the info you needed on the West Point store:The Toy Soldier Gallery:

501 Main Street, Highland falls NY 10928 USA, just outside the main gate of
West Point

Tel. 845-446-6731 or 800-777-9904 FAX: 845-446-1050

BTW: Soldiers of the World, Regal are excellent soldiers for the price.Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back