36th Annual East Coast Toy Soldier Show, Sunday November, 4th. (1 Viewer)

William S. Grey

Private 2
It's official, the 36th Annual East Coast Toy Soldier Show, our 2018 Show, will be held on Sunday November, 4th. at our same great location and same times.
Bill

I just saw a post on our Facebook group that Bill passed away today. The news came from a former vendor at our shows.

I just saw a post on our Facebook group that Bill passed away today. The news came from a former vendor at our shows.

This is devastating news.

Bill was a prince of a guy, a true gentleman and a credit to the hobby.

Save a spot for me at the table in heaven with you and my Dad.

R.I.P. Bill.

Oh no ... :redface2: ... that is very sad news indeed.
As George mentioned, Bill was a great guy and a tremendous credit to our hobby.

I am sure he will be sadly missed by MANY!

Does the article say was happened?

--- LaRRy

I just got the news also and very sad to hear. I didn't know Bill as long as many of the long time dealers, but for the few years I did, super nice guy. He got a real kick at a local NJ show last year when he was across the aisle from me and my son Logan. He was happy to see "youngsters' in the hobby, but Bill always appeared to me like a "big kid" himself! He ran one of the most organized shows I have ever seen and I hope it continues as I know his family was a big part of it. And I don't say that in anyway out of "greed for a show", I say that in admiration. He was just a super nice fella.

TD

Bill was another figure head and shoulders above the rest, a giant in the hobby. Along with staging the East Coast show, he had published for many years his "Toy Soldier Review." Before the advent of the Internet, TSR was one of two major magazines about our hobby, along with "Old Toy Soldier". If you wanted to know what was going on, you subscribed. And he ran Vintage Castings, keeping dimestore toy soldiers alive.

No matter how busy he was, he always had time to stop and chat with me.

His passing is another sign of the passing of an era.

I’m sorry to hear about Bill. Unfortunately, this will happen more as the hobby grays.

I was informed by someone who is close to the situation that Bill's family plans on going forward with the show this year, the date is November 4th, they will be mailing out dealer contracts at some point in the near future...………………...

I was informed by someone who is close to the situation that Bill's family plans on going forward with the show this year, the date is November 4th, they will be mailing out dealer contracts at some point in the near future...………………...

I figured they would hold this year's show, but I'm curious to learn if they plan on keeping the show, and Vintage Castings, going.

They have posted on their facebook page that they are going to do it. I hope so!
TD

I'm curious to learn if they plan on keeping the show, and Vintage Castings, going.

I don't want to answer for the family as it's their call, but from what I have heard, no and no.

The family was not interested in running the show this year but had a change of heart and are now going forward with it.

I wish them all the best and hope it goes smoothly for them.

I have never been to this show before. Can someone post information on where it is going to be held?
Thanks.

See http://eastcoasttoysoldiershow.com

It’s probably the last one so it’s now or never.

Any possibility the someone will "Buy?" the rights to this show … ?
I am not sure if anyone owns the name "East Coast Toy Soldier Show" but if an individual wanted to put on a show in Hackensack, NJ in early November is there anything that could prevent them??? ^&confuse

--- LaRRy

I am not sure if anyone owns the name "East Coast Toy Soldier Show" but if an individual wanted to put on a show in Hackensack, NJ in early November is there anything that could prevent them??? ^&confuse

--- LaRRy

The problem is what exactly would you be buying? The name and the names list of former show attendees.

The issue is will the college continue to honor the agreement they had with Bill and if not, where does the show land?

If you have to move the show, then you're better off just running your own show and not buying anything.

It's entirely up to the family as to whether they want to keep running it or not; if not, then I am sure a promoter out there will try to run a show in the Fall near the date in NJ.

Good luck with that.

There is only one Bill Lango and only one East Coast Toy Soldier Show and sale.

Period.

--- LaRRy

Probably not but Bill had a name, contacts with dealers, a mailing list of customers and a lot of good will built up. Anyone can start a show but to replicate Bill's success is another story.

After this show departs, there won't be any show in this state worth attending.

Probably not but Bill had a name, contacts with dealers, a mailing list of customers and a lot of good will built up. Anyone can start a show but to replicate Bill's success is another story.

After this show departs, there won't be any show in this state worth attending.

Amen.

Bill was one of a kind, old school to the core, but also smart enough to know about Facebook and other forms of social media, he wasn't afraid to spend money to make money, spend a big chunk of change on advertising and trying different things to spread the word about the show and get bodies through the door.

I can't see another facility that would be able to host a show of this size at the price the college offered the gym to Bill for; if you thin out the ranks and eliminate the general toy dealers, then it's not the same show, it's a horse of a different color.

I'd hate to see some sham of a show take it's place, Bill would never approve of a such a thing.

I miss him literally everyday.

I don't want to answer for the family as it's their call, but from what I have heard, no and no.

The family was not interested in running the show this year but had a change of heart and are now going forward with it.

I wish them all the best and hope it goes smoothly for them.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if they have no interest in keeping the show going. As has been noted, Bill was a collector, and it was his business, too. It's not often when someone like Bill passes on, that his family is interested or even able to keep going. Imrie-Risley is looking for someone to buy their business. Chuck is gone, and I would be surprised if his family kept his business going. It's just the nature of the businesses in our hobby-de facto sole proprietorships.

I just got the latest issue of Toy Soldier & Model Figure, by the way, and it includes obituaries for Bill and for Chuck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back