A call to arms new release - 95th riflemen napoleonic wars 1/32nd (3 Viewers)

9thHussar

Sergeant
Hi

STEVE WESTON has this new release featured on his webpage

ACTA 95TH RIFLES

4 X POSES - BOX OF 16 FIGURES

These were sculpted back in 2005 but finally on release

9thHussar

Its good to see this company back in action in the 1/32 scale! I remember seeing photos of the masters of these figures years ago. They were sculpted by Bill Farmer and he had masters posted on his web site of 8, 95th rifles figures and 8 British highlanders that were sculpted for ACTA that were never released. I wish they would had done all 8 instead of just 4 and I would rather have seen the Highlander set come out instead of the rifles.

Somewhere I have pictures of all 16 figure masters. I don,t know what happened to his web site but I can,t find it anymore???

hi - theses sculpts are the same style as the ACTA British Guards 1815 set. I read somewhere that Bill Farmer sculpted the Imex/Accurate figures too.
- all welcome additions
9th

hi - theses sculpts are the same style as the ACTA British Guards 1815 set. I read somewhere that Bill Farmer sculpted the Imex/Accurate figures too.
- all welcome additions
9th

I they are sculpted by Bill Farmer they will be awful.
His British Light Infantry and 1815 Guards were abominations

Shame Ron Cameron died recently - now there WAS a sculptor

I've quite liked the Call to Arms figures as a good match with the traditional 1/32 makers like Airfix. I have been perplexed that the sets only contain 4 poses - one or two of which were on the boring side.

hi

Bill Farmers webpage seems to have disappeared - cant find it - there was a link from the Plastic Soldier Review website (1/72nd figures) but the link is not working.

Ron Camerons sculpts were great - Airfix and Britains Deetail early sets, but I still enjoy Bills work as it is full of action and great for conversions. My best conversion was his Imex ACW Artillery 3 x gunners into British Royal Horse Artillery gunners 1815 Waterloo - used Historex Tarleton helmets and added sabres and repaint.

regards
9th

Its good to see this company back in action in the 1/32 scale! I remember seeing photos of the masters of these figures years ago. They were sculpted by Bill Farmer and he had masters posted on his web site of 8, 95th rifles figures and 8 British highlanders that were sculpted for ACTA that were never released. I wish they would had done all 8 instead of just 4 and I would rather have seen the Highlander set come out instead of the rifles.

Somewhere I have pictures of all 16 figure masters. I don,t know what happened to his web site but I can,t find it anymore???

Well, I would guess that the reason he has only done 4 figures in this set is that the previous 34 sets all only had just 4 figures in?
It leaves it wide open for him to do a second set though - if indeed he actually has (and owns) all 8 Masters.

hi - a friend sent me a box of these 95th Rifles today.

They are good figures with potential - x 4 different poses in the box of x 16 figures and the plastic is twistable and you can create alternative poses except for the standing firing pose. The heads and arms and legs can be animated/repositioned with a knife and some plier grips.

Anyhow I am going to paint half as the 5th Battalion of the 60th Rifles in dark green uniform with red facings and the other half as the 95th Rifles in dark green uniform with black facings and white piping.

I have looked for other regiments in a similar uniform but they are limited to a few units in the West Indies named after the Duke of York (eg. the York Rangers) between 1800-1815 and they had similar uniforms to the 5/60th Rifles. Also there was a Prussian Reserve Regt given 95th Rifles uniforms. The only other one is the Portugese Loyal Lusitanian Legion riflemen but you need to paint on a brass plate to the lower front part of the shako.

Bill Farmer sculpted another 4 poses from memory - maybe ACTA will issue another set of 4 poses and market them as the 5/60th Rifles?

Well worth buying a box or two off Steve Weston.

Maybe I can post some photos on here when painted up.

Regards
9thHussar

Dave, which poses of the 8 figures did they choose?
Here are the bill farmer pics for his web site before it went down.

And the missing Highlanders!
I like these guys better and wish he had done this set instead, maybe they,ll be next??? It would be nice to see sets of 8 poses instead of just 4.:(

Hi Fish
the 4 poses are as follows:

standing firing - this chap is a bit shorter in stature but is in scale with the other poses
loading with arm high in the air
running with rifle held to side
on guard with rifle across belly

I will post photos when painted

Hope they release the other poses in a 2nd set as they are useful figures and seem to have the equipment in the correct location on the body

Regards
Dave

hi

maybe they can be used with minor alterations for the light units of the Kings German Legion - there were 2 regiments of Rifles both with distinguishing features to identify etc...

regards
Dave

You start looking at a subject and it expands from there... there was several Canadian Militia regiments in the War of 1812-1815 against the USA which had this Rifleman style of uniform.

The most colourful was the 2nd Glengarry Militia which had a blue stovepipe with red/white scots/highland dicing around the lower part (like the British 71st Highland Lt Inf) and the green jacket had red facings. The only drawback is that most of these units dressed in rifle green carried muskets, but the sharpshooter companies did have Bakers (like the KGL Light Battalions)

Also the 5th & 7th battalions of the 60th had blue trousers making a more contrasting uniform than the 95th's

Dave

And the missing Highlanders!
I like these guys better and wish he had done this set instead, maybe they,ll be next??? It would be nice to see sets of 8 poses instead of just 4.:(

Only goes to prove that Bill Farmer knew jack about (a) Uniform detail (b) anatomy (c) how equipment was worn

I have almost completed painting the 95th Rifles set and all the equipment is in the correct location on the soldier. I think that they are good action figures and I do hope that ACTA release the other x 4 poses in a 2nd set. I have painted x 8 as 95th Riflemen 1812-15 , x 4 as the 60th Rifles 1812 and x 4 as the Canadian
2nd Glengarry Militia 1812.

If ACTA issue the Highlanders then I will buy a few sets of course. Maybe I would modify them a bit here and there and scope to paint them as the 42nd/79th/
92nd or 93rd Highlanders (and prior to 1808 the 71st/72nd/73rd/74th/75th and 91st).

Its all good fun and the 95th figures have acted as a good spoonful of medicine to a very stressful week at work ....so thanks Bill Farmer.

Dave

They should do another set of 4 poses for the FOOT GAURDS!.......Maybe more useful then a 2nd set of riflemen as Italeri have a set of 95th.

[Well as I said it proves Bill Farmer knew NOTHING about uniform detail.
I've never seen Highland Bonnets like that. Scots soldiers did not wear the sporran on campaign, and the sporran they are wearing looks nothing like the issue sporran of this period and there's all the usual problems with the anatomy (due to the obsession with 2 part molds and no undercuts). In the words of the Bard "Full of sound and fury - signifying nothing"

Hi

I am also going to paint a set of the 95th Rifles as Portugese Cacadores 1812-1814 as they had a very similar style of uniform - just need to fashion an ammo pouch to go on the front of the waist belt - easily made from greenstuff. The Cacadores had a lighter green/brown uniform with different coloured facings and there were several regiments. The three rows of buttons on the jacket were linked by lace frogging too. More versatility for this nice set from ACTA.

Regards
Dave

[Well as I said it proves Bill Farmer knew NOTHING about uniform detail.
I've never seen Highland Bonnets like that. Scots soldiers did not wear the sporran on campaign, and the sporran they are wearing looks nothing like the issue sporran of this period and there's all the usual problems with the anatomy (due to the obsession with 2 part molds and no undercuts). In the words of the Bard "Full of sound and fury - signifying nothing"

Sporran, I thought that was a "merkin."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back