A new Trivia Question (1 Viewer)

Chuck Harris

Memoriam Member
These are Navy Terms or slang
What is a "Plank Owner" ?
What is a " Holiday" ?

If nobody get the correct answer I will post it in a couple of days.

Attachments

• Desktop Wallpaper.jpg
    Desktop Wallpaper.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 1 (2).jpg
    1 (2).jpg
    279 KB · Views: 2
  • 1 (3).jpg
    1 (3).jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 1 (4).jpg
    1 (4).jpg
    321.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 1 (5).jpg
    1 (5).jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Chuck Ill Take A Wild Guess On The Plank Owner As A Land Lover And A Holiday As A Piece Of Loose Thread Or Lint Found On Your Uniform During Inspection
Heres A Couple For You A Pod ? Bubblehead?
Doug Stork

Sorry Doug Not even close. thanks for trying. Lets see if few more try. Must be a few old salts out there.

Right on Brad. But it goes back a bit more in time. The term started in the British Navy and carried over to our Navy around 1775 or so.
The first crew on a new Ship then made of wood.They would carve their name in a plank in the crew area. The builders would do the same for they were proud of the ships they built.

The term hoilday also started in the British Navy and carried over to our Navy.
It is a spot or area missed when you are painting. You think you did a good job and the Chief inspects your work sees what you missed and ask if if you been on hoilday.

Dear Chuck,

When I was a teenager, working my way through college, one of the jobs I did before I got my teamster card was working on the docks, painting bollards and other fixtures. I frequently heard the term "holiday" until I learned how to paint properly, but I had no idea of its origins. I just thought the dock master thought he was funny. As an aside, I knew an old navy man who used to sit in the dock masters office, and when I was on a break, he would tell us stories of the four ships he had shot out from under him (the last costing him the sight in his left eye - he always wore dark glasses with cardboard taped to the side to protect his blind left eye from sunlight, which he said was very painfull). The first ship he told me about was a ship on the Yallu (spelling?) River in China in 1936, which he said was the first U.S. Navy ship sunk by the japanese in the build up to WWII. The only other things I clearly remember about the guy was that (1) even as an old man he was strong enough to lift a bollard (weighing at least a couple of hundred pounds - I couldn't even budge one) and (2) he had dozens of tattoos, each with a story behind it. I fond him even more interesting than the old ex-wiseguys who sat in the same office telling stories about long dead mobsters from the 40's and 50's. It was definitely an eye opening time for me, a young kid without a clue.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back