A Plea for a Prussian! (1 Viewer)

I think that every single piece that has been made are limited editions, because every piece will eventually get retired. So your statement that some manufacturers don't do this is misleading.
Now if your point is that no manufacturer, Should ever make something that is very limited. Well, I think that most collectors love that idea of exclusivity, That they have a piece , that only a few has. Essentially their Centerpiece for that particular side of their collection. First Legion made it known from the start on those limited editions. That only a handful will be made from the start. So there was ample warning. I read someplace that Almost all First Legion pieces, that they only made 550 pieces. So I guess all collectors must buy what pieces they can not live without first.

Every single collector has gone through dissapointments, because there will always be a want. " the next pieces that I will go to, as soon as I get finished with this" . And in most cases by the time that all the pieces that we can not miss gets all bought. The next thing will have a limited selection. Or got retired, and can only get it through the secondary market. Where there will be an added premium.

I think that every single piece that has been made are limited editions, because every piece will eventually get retired. So your statement that some manufacturers don't do this is misleading.
Now if your point is that no manufacturer, Should ever make something that is very limited. Well, I think that most collectors love that idea of exclusivity, That they have a piece , that only a few has. Essentially their Centerpiece for that particular side of their collection. First Legion made it known from the start on those limited editions. That only a handful will be made from the start. So there was ample warning. I read someplace that Almost all First Legion pieces, that they only made 550 pieces. So I guess all collectors must buy what pieces they can not have without first.

Hi Spartan. I have been buying and painting castings for 18 years now from several Toy Soldier manufacturers/suppliers. The first pieces I bought were Royal Welch Fusiliers. These are still available from the same supplier. I also have a mounted Scots Greys set made up from castings - which I added figures to three times over 5 years from another company - and which are also still available today. As far as I'm aware - most of my collection is like this - though some small firms have inevitably gone out of business - so maybe some aren't available anymore.

I guess it may be true that any company may finish someday - but as I am now nearly 70 - and both the owner of the company I bought the RWF from and the other Scots Greys, are both younger than me - I confidently expect that they will still be supplying them in my lifetime.

True - I'm not keen at all on short runs of anything - as it forces me towards purchasing the whole lot in one go - or risk losing out. Good for the supplier - but not always convenient for the purchaser. As to most collectors loving the idea of "exclusivity" - well...........clearly some of them don't like the downside of that ( from the posts on here) - which is that supplies of some run out before they can complete a given set or project - and they get left open to speculators who charge them high prices to get hold of the pieces that they want.

Now, if that's what you or anyone else want to do - that's fine by me. But what I have said - still holds - for those who don't want to do this.

There are MANY companies who don't do that - and all that I am suggesting is that IF a collector doesn't want to be exposed to the chance of this sort of thing happening - then choose a supplier who will always be able to supply what you want - because they don't put a limit on a run.

I note that this company (FL) are now doing at least one range as unpainted resin castings - which they say is in response to many collectors asking them to do so. Excellent news - for people like me - and shows they DO listen to what customers want. I hope it spreads to other parts of their ranges eventually, as I would love to paint other parts of their range myself. So.....as I said before.....if you don't like it - tell them. They do listen sometimes.

If a collector just can't live without a set from a limited edition run however, I guess that another option is to ASK a supplier (maybe a Shop - if available) IF they would put aside the remainder of a set for you - until funds allow the other parts to be purchased. It's a pretty big ask though - and I know that some shops get stuck with parts of sets that people never collect. You can but ask.

My favoured option has always worked for me - so far, however. All the best - whatever you decide to do - it's your choice. johnnybach

Hi Spartan. I have been buying and painting castings for 18 years now from several Toy Soldier manufacturers/suppliers. The first pieces I bought were Royal Welch Fusiliers. These are still available from the same supplier. I also have a mounted Scots Greys set made up from castings - which I added figures to three times over 5 years from another company - and which are also still available today. As far as I'm aware - most of my collection is like this - though some small firms have inevitably gone out of business - so maybe some aren't available anymore.

I guess it may be true that any company may finish someday - but as I am now nearly 70 - and both the owner of the company I bought the RWF from and the other Scots Greys, are both younger than me - I confidently expect that they will still be supplying them in my lifetime.

True - I'm not keen at all on short runs of anything - as it forces me towards purchasing the whole lot in one go - or risk losing out. Good for the supplier - but not always convenient for the purchaser. As to most collectors loving the idea of "exclusivity" - well...........clearly some of them don't like the downside of that ( from the posts on here) - which is that supplies of some run out before they can complete a given set or project - and they get left open to speculators who charge them high prices to get hold of the pieces that they want.
Now, if that's what you or anyone else want to do - that's fine by me. But what I have said - still holds - for those who don't want to do this.

There are MANY companies who don't do that - and all that I am suggesting is that IF a collector doesn't want to be exposed to the chance of this sort of thing happening - then choose a supplier who will always be able to supply what you want - because they don't put a limit on a run.

I note that this company (FL) are now doing at least one range as unpainted resin castings - which they say is in response to many collectors asking them to do so. Excellent news - for people like me - and shows they DO listen to what customers want. I hope it spreads to other parts of their ranges eventually, as I would love to paint other parts of their range myself. So.....as I said before.....if you don't like it - tell them. They do listen sometimes.

If a collector just can't live without a set from a limited edition run however, I guess that another option is to ASK a supplier (maybe a Shop - if available) IF they would put aside the remainder of a set for you - until funds allow the other parts to be purchased. It's a pretty big ask though - and I know that some shops get stuck with parts of sets that people never collect. You can but ask.

My favoured option has always worked for me - so far, however. All the best - whatever you decide to do - it's your choice. johnnybach

I get your point and understand it. I myself is afraid, that if there is this unending supply of pieces, it will slow down the creative process that FL has. For they are making pieces that most of the people have already, and maybe wasting materials. That could have been used to make different pieces.
Now as far as exclusivity is concerned, I myself have a few Aeroart pieces, that any particular piece might have a couple of hundred pieces. At the most, and if some how some one says its not that exclusive.I will say I have to differ. I have one particular piece. A Templar Crusader, 4 pieces, differs in their turban in some and clothes in others. And love every single one. For their certain kind of exclusivity.

I get your point and understand it. I myself is afraid, that if there is this unending supply of pieces, it will slow down the creative process that FL has. For they are making pieces that most of the people have already, and maybe wasting materials. That could have been used to make different pieces.
Now as far as exclusivity is concerned, I myself have a few Aeroart pieces, that any particular piece might have a couple of hundred pieces. At the most, and if some how some one says its not that exclusive.I will say I have to differ. I have one particular piece. A Templar Crusader, 4 pieces, differs in their turban in some and clothes in others. And love every single one. For their certain kind of exclusivity.

I get your point on exclusivity too. As I paint my own, I sometimes alter pieces to my own whims. I can change arms, heads - positioning of limbs etc, from a casting - then paint it up in any way I want. At the risk of hi-jacking the thread a teeny bit - I'll explain:

Knights of old are a good example - as I often choose the Coat of Arms first - decide how to portray him (or her!) - and then find a casting and select arms/heads/weapons etc, - to make up something JUST how I want it. Here's an example below - of MY take on Joan of Arc - from a casting - with different head, body arm and scratch-built banner. (I must remember to paint the lower part of the banner-staff). The idea came from an original piece by Freddy Ping - but this one is MY original - and probably the only one JUST like it. My point being - if you want "exclusive" - you can get them this way - anytime.

All from readily available TS parts - and as I said - anytime you want some. jb

Sorry - not a collector of FL. Just bored at my desk working and looking for a distraction. If I was I would be happy to sell you each and every one of them for 415 dollars each!!{sm4}

Betcha, He would "not buy" it at that price.

Every single collector has gone through dissapointments, because there will always be a want. " the next pieces that I will go to, as soon as I get finished with this" . And in most cases by the time that all the pieces that we can not miss gets all bought. The next thing will have a limited selection. Or got retired, and can only get it through the secondary market. Where there will be an added premium.

It's a "little more" then just an added premium when a speculator tries to buy up key figures, hoard them and then tries to sell them for $415 dollars each on evil bay.....we have seen this abnoxious selfish behaviour quite often much to the detriment of this hobby.....I still think it would be in FL's best interests to produce products for which there is DEMAND irregardless of the views of the speculators (hopefully these "characters" are not dealers???)......It would allow the remaining figures in a series to be sold and would not cause a good line of NAPS to "Die-Out".....Hopefully we will see the British 1st Foot Guards re-released.....MOST OF US WANT THEM.....But I guess FL should make more Flag-Bearers in each series from now on so that there are enough for the "legitimate collector" as well as enough for the HOARDERS/SPECULATORS to price gouge latter on evil bay....That will satisfy both sides....MAYBE:salute::

Last edited:
Great piece JohnyBach, That is real impressive. I used to paint pieces years ago. It takes a lot of patience to do it.with me I just get stuck, because I am my own worst critic. Not really completely happy when I do it myself. All the painting, shading, high lighting, just took a lot.
I am for, re-releasing pieces. But, just not an unending run. If there is a demand of pieces, keep it coming. Re-release pieces that keeps selling out. Great example would be the British guards. It sold out. Except for two pieces out of 19. Proven winner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back