Adding more space in my curio cabinet! (2 Viewers)

Grognard

Sergeant Major
Since I started to run out of space (more than 500 TS in my collection now), I was split between buying another curio cabinet (I have one standing curio cabinet and one wall curio cabinet) or adding a new glass shelf in my current one since I still have some room to add 1 or 2 shelves. I decided to go with the latter option since 1. seemed much cheaper and 2. doesn't have room to add another full curio cabinet in my office (+ wife doesn't want to see any TS migrating elsewhere in the house). After browsing the Web I found this company www.ReplacementGlass.co which cut tampered glass shelves to custom dimensions. I measured my current glass shelves and placed my order and just received it over the weekend, and added the additional shelf to the upper part of the curio cabinet (below pics - this also gave me a reason to dust off the other shelves). The price was a small fraction of a curio cabinet and the result looks great (same as my other shelves) and I am very happy I made that call. I have now more room for my next TS order extravaganza currently in progress for Xmas!:smile2:

P1.jpg

P2.jpg

Impressive collection Grognard. Any chance that we could see closer up pictures of your collection?

Brendan

Major manufacturers like Pulaski and Howard Miller make what they refer to as "shelf-kits" for their different models of curio cabinet. For most collectors of TS, the add-on shelves of tempered glass effectively double the number of figure-sets that can be displayed. An exception would be the collector who has model airplanes mounted on stands, but WE are the exception in this regard.:redface2: For just about everyone else, the kits provide a serious improvement in display real estate.:cool:

-Moe

Now you need to work on lighting.

I know. I have a light at the top, and a while ago added a LED bar at the mid section for the curio cabinet for the lower part. But as you know the more TS you place on the shelves the more they block light from top to bottom. I am looking at more options but the challenge is to hide the light fixtures so they don't block the show :wink2:

I know. I have a light at the top, and a while ago added a LED bar at the mid section for the curio cabinet for the lower part. But as you know the more TS you place on the shelves the more they block light from top to bottom. I am looking at more options but the challenge is to hide the light fixtures so they don't block the show :wink2:

I wish I could help you. The only thing I can think of is putting a small LED spotlight hidden in the front corners. I
found these, but haven't tried them.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/led-counter-spotlights-3w-showcase-light-2w-straight-jewelry/32392478897.html?spm=2114.40010308.7.1.kb4RMJ&s=p

led-counter-font-b-spotlights-b-font-3w-showcase-light-2w-straight-jewelry-lights-5w-gold.jpeg

Have you thought about adding more curios, assuming you have the space. Raymour Flanigan makes some nice small ones and I think they were having a sale (although that may have just been for Black Friday).

in the past i also used glass shelves, and had the same problem, no light getting to the bottom. So i threw the glass shelves out, and i use now wooden shelves with led lights.......much better than before.20161215_182729.jpg

in the past i also used glass shelves, and had the same problem, no light getting to the bottom. So i threw the glass shelves out, and i use now wooden shelves with led lights.......much better than before.

I like that much better. Also doesn't show the dust and provides a "ground."

in the past i also used glass shelves, and had the same problem, no light getting to the bottom. So i threw the glass shelves out, and i use now wooden shelves with led lights.......much better than before.View attachment 204543

Looks nice but my challenge is that the back of the curio I have has a mirror so I have some reflection issues to manage as well with lighting...

Have you thought about adding more curios, assuming you have the space. Raymour Flanigan makes some nice small ones and I think they were having a sale (although that may have just been for Black Friday).
Yes, as indicated below but I don't have enough space left in my office for more (and my wife doesn't want to see any TS outside my office :rolleyes2:)

What about this type of lighting? Unobtrusive, often sticky backed. Can be battery or mains and cut to length.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=stri...hUKEwiB9IXkr_fQAhVN12MKHaQ9BXIQ_AUIBygC&dpr=1

Thanks. This is basically what I have in the middle of my curio and I installed the same LED bar at the top of my wall curio. They work fine where they are because they are hidden by the wood frame in those spots. The challenge I have is to install basically another light that would be under a glass shelf or on the vertical side corner of the curio...I will figure out something :wink2:

What about around the inside of the door frame ?

On my curio the doors are on both sides of it and they are glass doors with no frame. So the only place I can put some (small) lights are on the vertical corners of the curio (but this is also where the selves are sitting) and the mid section where I have already one but the lower shelves.

What about this type of lighting? Unobtrusive, often sticky backed. Can be battery or mains and cut to length.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=stri...hUKEwiB9IXkr_fQAhVN12MKHaQ9BXIQ_AUIBygC&dpr=1

On my curio the doors are on both sides of it and they are glass doors with no frame. So the only place I can put some (small) lights are on the vertical corners of the curio (but this is also where the selves are sitting) and the mid section where I have already one for the lower shelves.

Actually after looking at multiple options I decided to try the sticky LED strips (the one you suggested below) so I ordered a couple short ones on Amazon, and after devising where I should place them to mitigate the reflection issue, I decided to stick them on the side glass doors. I am pretty happy with the results since there is basically no reflection. They are USB powered which is not an issue since I was able to recycle some old phone USB charger connectors for that. Please see pics below...
IMG_0092.JPGIMG_0093.JPGIMG_0094.JPG

Looking good, a great idea for display lighting.

Actually after looking at multiple options I decided to try the sticky LED strips (the one you suggested below) so I ordered a couple short ones on Amazon, and after devising where I should place them to mitigate the reflection issue, I decided to stick them on the side glass doors. I am pretty happy with the results since there is basically no reflection. They are USB powered which is not an issue since I was able to recycle some old phone USB charger connectors for that. Please see pics below...
View attachment 205095View attachment 205096View attachment 205097

Users who are viewing this thread

Back