AIP announces new boxes and set titles with figures that seem to be altered (1 Viewer)

rahway

Staff Sergeant
AIP has announced seven new Napoleonic set numbers. All are older sets in plain boxes with new set titles. The figures seem to have had their plumes clipped or removed to conform to the new titles. There are no pictures, just descriptions.

5801 (5616) Dark Blue - French Young Guard Infantry - Spain 1807-1814

5802 (5454) White - French Line Infantry - 14th Line Regiment Grenadiers - Spain 1807-1814

5803 (5455) Medium Blue - 2nd Foreign Regiment - Chasseur 1810

5804 (5456) Green - 1st Croat Regiment of Infantry

5808 (5457) Red - 4th Swiss Regiment, Company of Fusiliers 1807

5806 (5491) Dark Green - Russian Infantry Musketeers, Winter Dress 1806-1814

5807 White - Russian Infantry Musketeers, Summer Dress 1806-1814

fresh figures not new colors

It would be nice if AIP released new figures rather than altered or released existing figures in different colors. I appreciate AIP for their contribution to a wide variety of historical periods that would have otherwise been neglected in the hobby. However, each range still has gaps that could be filled (i.e. Franco-Prussian/ early wwi French, early wwi british, heavy napoleonic cavalry, Napoleon's Old Guard, ACW, Boxer Rebellion Imperial Chinese army, etc).

It would be nice if AIP released new figures rather than altered or released existing figures in different colors. I appreciate AIP for their contribution to a wide variety of historical periods that would have otherwise been neglected in the hobby. However, each range still has gaps that could be filled (i.e. Franco-Prussian/ early wwi French, early wwi british, heavy napoleonic cavalry, Napoleon's Old Guard, ACW, Boxer Rebellion Imperial Chinese army, etc).

Agree completely! I really love the periods of colonial wars that they cover. I also love that they are affordable and offer lots of the same action poses in each set. I also really appreciate the sculpting. AIP figures may not have loads of detail but I love the consistency of the sculpting across their entire line. They certainly set to have more of a "toy" feel about them.
That said I would love to see some new product. Especially turn of the century U.S. forces.

An additional announcement has been added to the AIP site:

COMING FEBRUARY 1st 2019

3 New Categories and Sets

Mexican Revolution
Russo - Turkish War
Alamo & The War for Texas Independence

Plus New World War I Sets

COMING FEBRUARY 1st 2019

Mexican Revolution
Russo - Turkish War

It will be interesting to see what will be released come February. :cool:

Will certainly be interested in any new WW1 sets. I just hope they in fact are new figures altogether not just a change in color and renamed.
Gary

COMING FEBRUARY 1st 2019

Mexican Revolution
Russo - Turkish War

I'm guessing....

Mexican Revolution. Spanish 1898 troops in white and tan plastic. Japanese in white and tan

Russo-Turkish War. Union troops in green plastic and Zouaves.

Alamo. Confederates in brown and tan and Napoleonic French.

Sorry ;)

I'm guessing....

Mexican Revolution. Spanish 1898 troops in white and tan plastic. Japanese in white and tan

Russo-Turkish War. Union troops in green plastic and Zouaves.

Alamo. Confederates in brown and tan and Napoleonic French.

Sorry ;)

Don't forget Prussian landwehr as New Orleans Greys. It'd be interesting to see if AIP uses poses from the Regal Alamo range for their upcoming sets since both companies seem to share the same/similar sets.

https://regaltoysoldiers.com/product-category/soldiers-of-the-world/alamo

I talked to Tony recently and I asked him about WWI Ottomans. He said he had the sculpts already completed as well as WWI Austro Hungarians and WWI Anzacs for Gallipoli. One can hope. I certainly am. Artillery would also be greatly appreciated.

I talked to Tony recently and I asked him about WWI Ottomans. He said he had the sculpts already completed as well as WWI Austro Hungarians and WWI Anzacs for Gallipoli. One can hope. I certainly am. Artillery would also be greatly appreciated.

I agree, some wwi machine gun crews would be awesome as well down the line.

I went on AIP website and sadly it appears three of the WWI sets are the 5402 stahlhelm WWI Germans in three "new" colors :(

Hi! Where on the site did you see that? Thanks.

The "new" sets can be found in the WWI section of the website. While not an expert in WWI uniforms, I understand that both the Austro-Hungarians and Ottomans fielded some units in the stahlhelm (though with variations to the helmet as well as in general some variations in uniform).

AIP has now posted a full list of the new set numbers. All are previously released figures in new boxes with new titles. Not all are new colors.

https://www.armiesinplastic.com

The Mexican Texas Revolution army is the Napoleonic French army in new boxes.

The Confederates are defending the Alamo.

The Russians and Turks are the familiar Russian and Egyptian sets.

The ACW Zouaves are now part of the Franco-Prussian war range.

The Mexican Revolution features various sets in new boxes, including Spanish American War figures.

AIP has now posted a full list of the new set numbers. All are previously released figures in new boxes with new titles. Not all are new colors.

https://www.armiesinplastic.com

The Mexican Texas Revolution army is the Napoleonic French army in new boxes.

The Confederates are defending the Alamo.

The Russians and Turks are the familiar Russian and Egyptian sets.

The ACW Zouaves are now part of the Franco-Prussian war range.

The Mexican Revolution features various sets in new boxes, including Spanish American War figures.
As I suspected. I've been using these sets for years as other armies.

I wish I could say I was surprised. I see from the website that the reboxed Confederates include two new poses: "1 standing firing down and 1 kneeling firing down." That seems to be it in terms of new *figures.*

I'm all for using figures creatively to cover different eras and armies, but I'd much prefer marketing them as they are sculpted without stretching authenticity. I'm really underwhelmed by marketing rebranded products as "31 new sets." :rolleyes2:

I wish I could say I was surprised. I see from the website that the reboxed Confederates include two new poses: "1 standing firing down and 1 kneeling firing down." That seems to be it in terms of new *figures.*

I'm all for using figures creatively to cover different eras and armies, but I'd much prefer marketing them as they are sculpted without stretching authenticity. I'm really underwhelmed by marketing rebranded products as "31 new sets." :rolleyes2:

Agreed, guess I'm not breaking the bank this month.

Agreed, guess I'm not breaking the bank this month.
Well, I can't blame Tony for trying to be creative here. The key to all makers is profit. Using the French Napoleonics is certainly not a stretch, lots of collectors use both British, French and Prussian as Mexicans. Civil war rebs as Texas defenders, that's pushing it a bit. The rest of the sets are OK IMHO. As most of us know Marx did the same type of thing and most of us will use designated sets for other conflicts e.g. The CTS world war 2 americans for his Korean war period, Boonesboro pioneers for War of 1812 militia, alamo defenders, etc. So, if Tony can make a few bucks with this concept I'm all for it. Like everybody I hoped for bona fide new figures/poses. But as i've said numerous times the cost vs profit aspect is getting tougher, it just may not be profitable enough anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back