Airfix 54mm German Hanomags (1 Viewer)

bilblas

Private
Hand painted vintage Hanomags with converted crew (Airfix, Britains and timpo)hm1 (800x541).jpghm2 (800x471).jpghm3 (800x475).jpghm5 (800x598).jpghm6 (800x368).jpg

Very cool! I never knew about any Airfix 1/32 armor, I like seeing this. I built some of their 1/72 and HO armor, in the MPC diorama boxings.

Prost!
Brad

yes, they did quite a range in the 70's including tanks (mainly british), SPG's, scout cars and even a truck. The go for quite high prices on ebay (boxed) but there are still a few in circulation.

Very cool! I never knew about any Airfix 1/32 armor, I like seeing this. I built some of their 1/72 and HO armor, in the MPC diorama boxings.

Prost!
Brad

Aren't these the same ones that CTS offers? I seem to remember that Airfix had the drive bogie reversed on the Sherman Tank, (had it on the rear) and CTS fixed that.
Nice work!

Yes, mine is the CTS reissue - I love it! I also got the Sherman and the British armoured car. There was also an early MK IV tank (I think) too. Maybe also a British anti-tank gun??? I wrote to Airfix over ten years ago and praised the Hanomag and suggested that doing an American one of the same standard would be a winning idea but they said it wasn't part of their plans.....

Yes, mine is the CTS reissue - I love it! I also got the Sherman and the British armoured car. There was also an early MK IV tank (I think) too. Maybe also a British anti-tank gun??? I wrote to Airfix over ten years ago and praised the Hanomag and suggested that doing an American one of the same standard would be a winning idea but they said it wasn't part of their plans.....

This is the 54mm American half track also produced by CTS (Hand painted/figures have been added). This goes well with the Hanomags.

Attachments

• ctshtrack (800x532).jpg
    ctshtrack (800x532).jpg
    335.5 KB · Views: 279
This is the 54mm American half track also produced by CTS (Hand painted/figures have been added). This goes well with the Hanomags.

Another beauty!

I'm sort of "on the fence" with these offerings. While they realistically depict the subject matter and paint up well, I feel that they're a little small for the 54mm figures, and look a bit "awkward".
I tried to put the Mk.IV Panzer in a diorama with the TSSD long coat Germans close to it, man did it look SMALL!
I hoped I could find a "True 1/32" scale tank, but it seems as they aren't available with the exception of the expensive "collector" pieces which are priced out of my range. A forum mate suggested I look for some old discontinued Monogram kits from the 70's, which were in "True 1/32" scale. I managed to find a StUG III for a reasonable price, it's about 1/2 completed, but doesn't look tiny compared to my TSSD figures. It was well worth the search.

My 10 year old son even noticed this as I took him on an excursion to a park which has one of Patton's Shermans on display. He couldn't believe how large the real thing was while he was standing next to it, and he said that either his soldiers were giants, or their tanks were small.

Another beauty!

I'm sort of "on the fence" with these offerings. While they realistically depict the subject matter and paint up well, I feel that they're a little small for the 54mm figures, and look a bit "awkward".
I tried to put the Mk.IV Panzer in a diorama with the TSSD long coat Germans close to it, man did it look SMALL!
I hoped I could find a "True 1/32" scale tank, but it seems as they aren't available with the exception of the expensive "collector" pieces which are priced out of my range. A forum mate suggested I look for some old discontinued Monogram kits from the 70's, which were in "True 1/32" scale. I managed to find a StUG III for a reasonable price, it's about 1/2 completed, but doesn't look tiny compared to my TSSD figures. It was well worth the search.

My 10 year old son even noticed this as I took him on an excursion to a park which has one of Patton's Shermans on display. He couldn't believe how large the real thing was while he was standing next to it, and he said that either his soldiers were giants, or their tanks were small.

yes, I know exactly what you mean, some of the re issued CTS does look nearer 1/30 - 1/35 scale. The US halftrack came with tiny figures so I took a bit of artistic license when replacing them. The BMC range is not too bad - I have just included a couple of quick shots showing the 'King Tiger' and their 'Sherman', along with a few TSSD and Conte troops for comparison.

Attachments

• t5 (800x425).jpg
    t5 (800x425).jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 213
  • t2 (800x715).jpg
    t2 (800x715).jpg
    379.1 KB · Views: 221
  • t3 (800x556).jpg
    t3 (800x556).jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 220
"The BMC range is not too bad"

I think these were based on NewRay vehicles and I agree, they're quite good. In fact I'd say they were the best of what's available. I just wish there was more to the range. I know that CTS did it's vehicles to be in scale with the Marx ones - which I think they'd obtained the rights to reissue. Obviously they're a bit small but when used with Airfix and like scaled figures they're not too bad. I really commend CTS on the extent of the range, to which was recently added a Stug IV.

"The BMC range is not too bad"

I think these were based on NewRay vehicles and I agree, they're quite good. In fact I'd say they were the best of what's available. I just wish there was more to the range. I know that CTS did it's vehicles to be in scale with the Marx ones - which I think they'd obtained the rights to reissue. Obviously they're a bit small but when used with Airfix and like scaled figures they're not too bad. I really commend CTS on the extent of the range, to which was recently added a Stug IV.

I'm 100% in agreement with that! CTS has stepped up where others have stepped back. I have that BMC Sherman, and it dwarfs the CTS Shermans when compared side by side. I posted back a while ago on another forum that someone should step in and do some "True 1/32" vehicles for low budget guys like myself. I understand that an injection mold can cost more that 50K, but I think you could turn a profit with a converted kit mold if you thought it out well. Maybe some of those old discontinued Monogram kit molds could be scrounged up and converted by a clever machinist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back