All The Queens Men AQM (1 Viewer)

I've got roughly a hundred AQM cavalry; mostly British and Indian, but a few Germans as well. Wonderful figures! Altho the infantry are a tad small for 54mm, the cavalry fit right in.

Bosun Al

I am alternately delighted and disappointed with AQM.
I have only two sets, each marvelous.
One is a blacksmith working on the hind leg hoof of a horse as the cavalryman (& horse) patiently wait.
The set is carefully painted, and beautifully realized as a whole.
Likewise, another set is unique - an officer in the Union Army of the American Civil War, with his daughter riding side saddle,
with her little dog tagging along. I love both these sets.
As for the negative, I have seen a great deal of inconsistency with AQM - some painting is sloppy, while other AQM figures were carefully painted. Likewise, some figures, especially horses, are tremendous sculptures, while others are not at all to my liking. The inconsistency is jarring, and I don't know what accounts for it. Partly it is my own aesthetic preferences in terms of the sculpts.
And another disturbing thing I've noticed is that some horses are collapsing from their own weight. Check out current for sale AQM figures on Ebay and you'll see the wilting steeds. This is something I've noticed in the past as well. Perhaps there was too much lead content in the mixture for these thin-legged horses?

-Squiggle

Somewhere around here I have an AQM Prussian hussar officer, mounted. I think it's supposed to be von Mackensen in his uniform from the 2nd Leib-Husaren. When I find it, I'll post a photo. The horse's left rear hoof was broken off, and I need to repair it. It falls more into Squiggle's second category rather than the first, though.

Prost!
Brad

Hi I agree with you....It is as if different people were devising and assembling the sets, with no alignment as to sculpture standards.
Cheers
A_C

One is a blacksmith working on the hind leg hoof of a horse as the cavalryman (& horse) patiently wait.
Likewise, another set is unique - an officer in the Union Army of the American Civil War, with his daughter riding side saddle,
As for the negative, I have seen a great deal of inconsistency with AQM - some painting is sloppy, while other AQM figures were carefully painted. Likewise, some figures, especially horses, are tremendous sculptures, while others are not at all to my liking. The inconsistency is jarring, and I don't know what accounts for it. Partly it is my own aesthetic preferences in terms of the sculpts.
And another disturbing thing I've noticed is that some horses are collapsing from their own weight. Check out current for sale AQM figures on Ebay and you'll see the wilting steeds. This is something I've noticed in the past as well. Perhaps there was too much lead content in the mixture for these thin-legged horses?

-Squiggle

Re: All The Queens Men AQM - Prussian Hussar Officer 1910

I found my Prussian hussar officer; I misremembered, he's an officer of the Leib-Garde-Husaren, not one of the Leib-Husaren regiments :

As you can see, this one does fall into Squiggle's second category of a rather sloppy paint job. I've had it in mind to strip the paint and repaint it to a better standard.

I think old Britains were sculpted better, too.

I also want to fix the right rear hoof, which is shorter than the others. I think it was broken off, and the break was ground smooth. It will be easy enough to drill a small hole, make a small loop of wire and glue it in place, then build up some putty over that. I'll get around to that, some day.

Prost!
Brad

It’s interesting to see the difference in the quality of the sculpts and paint. I image that’s due to ownership and staff changes over the years.

Dave

I have roughly 100 AQM British Cavalry and enjoy them very much. IMHO they are better made than the glossy Britains.

-Squiggle

I think it's because they were 2 sculptors
AQM toys soldiers are now under the name of Imprerial Miniatures https://imperialminiatures.co.uk/
see wht they say about : Imperial vs. Dorset

+ at the beginning AQM was a kit maker, supplying in kit form, or assembled antiqued metel finish or paiinted, mainly 80mm
. Later they will do " Toy Soldiers "

Users who are viewing this thread

Back