Ardennes "Roadblock" (1 Viewer)

Buzz

Private 2
So, here goes. I have a diorama I built to showcase the new Konigstiger. I thought about purchasing the new wrecked M4 as well, but ultimately decided the classic M4 would be better--I can use it in other dioramas as well.
Here's the tank "on the road"... They're a bit lost, and as the tank crew confers with the infantry, a pair of lone GIs prepares to turn the KT into a giant, smoldering roadblock.

Attachments

• on the road.JPG
    on the road.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 347
Sorry. I'm still trying to figure out how best to upload my photos. I'll post some more later on.

Nice work on your diorama and tank with figures. Leadmen

Finally. I had an opportunity to size the images correctly. Hope there's enough detail to give everyone a feel for what the KT is like. It's huge, but that doesn't mean that the German tank riders fit on it much better than they did on the last version of the KT.

Attachments

• Conference2.jpg
    Conference2.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 164
  • front.JPG
    front.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 171
  • Ambush.JPG
    Ambush.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 162
How did I do the road? I used model railroad turf. I first carved pieces of polystyrene to create terrain. You can do it with a foam cutter (about $40) or you can use a knife and then sand down the edges. Once I did that, I used regular wood glue (elmer's would probably work as well) to glue the base together. Acryllic (Liquitex) paint along the edges of the base is vital--it makes it look far cleaner. I painted the road bed with earth-toned acrylic. Then I used materials from a local hobby store--artifical turf for model railroad design from Woodland Scenics. I could also get snow from the same source. The most important thing you will need is a small spray bottle and glue. Woodland Scenics glue is really thinned--like water--and you spray it on prior to spreading the turf. More importantly, you need to thoroughly douse the turf after you've put it down. When it dries (in about 24-36 hours) it will be hard as a rock. The cost of the entire enterprise probably ran me about $60 (not including foam cutter--but like I said, you don't absolutely need one so long as you have sand paper and time).

A couple of thoughts:

First of all, I've been reading some of the comments regarding the Konigstiger's flaws. In the interest of full disclosure, I'm NOT associated with KC and I don't sell toy soldiers :)
I think that the paint scheme looks great--even if it's too "red", and I'm not convinced it is. (the research on painting that I've seen on the list has been really cool, incidentally. I don't want to take anything away from the work fmethorst did.)

I think that it's outright bizarre that there are no tow cables on this tank. I also can't understand why there are no track links. My theory is that removing those accessories makes it easier to put riders on the vehicle. Try it yourself and you'll see what I mean. You really can't sit riders on the turret when there's all that additional stuff. If Andy removed them only to keep prices down it would be pretty absurd. I don't know what it costs to carve these things, but I simply can't imagine that some track links would bump the price up substantially. I suspect that Andy's already making a decent profit from this beast. (and I don't mean that in a snarky, critical way--it's a free market and these toys are a luxury).

IMHO--if you don't like the look of this tiger, let it go (Sorry, Andy). I like it. I've been waiting for one with the ambush scheme since '05. Perhaps I was too hasty snapping this up. Too late now. If the past is prelude and you're patient, you can wait for a few years until Andy produces another KT. I like this one very much, I only wish nobody had mentioned the lack of tow cable mounts. Now I can't ignore their absence :).

I think that the weathering on the desert and Blitzkrieg vehicles is always going to be superior, because you've only got a single base color for contrast. I may be wrong on this, and it would be interesting to know if a single factory does most German vehicles. Having done some art in my day, I have a gut feeling that it's more difficult to create so much contrast with a darker, three color camouflage.

Finally--A plug for the Classic M4. It's BEAUTIFUL. No camouflage, I know, but look at those lines. It's like a cadillac. The Konigstiger looks like a troll in contrast. Seriously. I know that the Sherman was no match on the battlefield, but it's a beautiful vehicle, and Andy's version of the tank is absolutely lovely.

BTW, I bought my KT from Shannon. It reached me promptly and in fine condition. Thanks!

Very nice. Not sure if I would pop my head around the corner if I was one of the GI's unless there are a few more of them as back up !

I really like this dio and the KT. A very evocative scene. The G.I.'s had better think twice, however. Since the Sherman was inferior to the KT at even point blank range, that rocket launcher the G.I.'s have is only going to get them hurt, badly. Maybe they can break a track before they become guests of the Stalag system. -- lancer

How did I do the road? I used model railroad turf. I first carved pieces of polystyrene to create terrain. You can do it with a foam cutter (about $40) or you can use a knife and then sand down the edges. Once I did that, I used regular wood glue (elmer's would probably work as well) to glue the base together. Acryllic (Liquitex) paint along the edges of the base is vital--it makes it look far cleaner. I painted the road bed with earth-toned acrylic. Then I used materials from a local hobby store--artifical turf for model railroad design from Woodland Scenics. I could also get snow from the same source. The most important thing you will need is a small spray bottle and glue. Woodland Scenics glue is really thinned--like water--and you spray it on prior to spreading the turf. More importantly, you need to thoroughly douse the turf after you've put it down. When it dries (in about 24-36 hours) it will be hard as a rock. The cost of the entire enterprise probably ran me about $60 (not including foam cutter--but like I said, you don't absolutely need one so long as you have sand paper and time).

thank you very much for the tips Buzz!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back