Armies-in-Plastic limited Elephant sets coming soon (1 Viewer)

Very nice sets but a bit pricey at $25 for one animal/driver/load (e.g., AIP's Gordon Relief Camel Corps have 4 times as many figures for $15) and NOT included in buy 3/get 1 or buy 5/get 3.

Last edited:
They said the elephant isn't made by them; wonder if that's why the set is so expensive? TSSD's war elephant cost $25, too.

Very nice sets but a bit pricey at $25 for one animal/driver/load (e.g., AIP's Gordon Relief Camel Corps have 4 times as many figures for $15) and NOT included in buy 3/get 1 or buy 5/get 3.

You may want to consider the weight comparison between 1 of these hefty elephants against 4 camels before making any sort of comment.
Only one other plastic maker has done an elephant - HaT - and the reason why this was discontinued is the complex, and therefore expensive, method required in reaching a finished item. This just MAY be why no other Company has achieved it. The Britains and Timpo Zoo items from the '60's were too small and out of scale and the HaT item was not much bigger.
Both the TSSD and AIP item are NOT plastic, but Vinyl, which is altogether a different product and required different production methods.
The retail price of these in regular stores is anywhere between $10.00 and $18.00 depending on where you get them from.

It may also be wise to consider that these sets won't fit into the standard packaging and will require bespoke cartons, twice the size, another huge extra cost - I know only too well how much obtaining low-volume cartons cost and could well do without it for my own items and for the Replicants Playsets, but it needs to be done and the cost has to be passed onto to the buyer. That is a fact of life.

Perhaps our efforts would be better spent supporting those that still produce different sets for us to choose from and let's be honest, no-one has EVER produced these subjects in plastic/vinyl/whatever at what is really a realistic and affordable price.

Come on guys, let's be positive and supportive.

They said the elephant isn't made by them; wonder if that's why the set is so expensive? TSSD's war elephant cost $25, too.
I don't make figures for resale, and can't speak to what cost and effort TSSD, AIP put into bringing something to market. Steve, I don't think you are saying that we must buy as a way of supporting, but be positive in appreciating the effort. As far as the elephant in the room, I passed on TSSDs due to price, and will pass on AIPs as well. They use either Safari, or Schleich models, both I found on ebay for between $3-$5 ea. depending on pose. And with a bit of ply-doh was able to make a number of war elephants. AIP here looks like they put more into their versions, but still the cannons, and gat guns were already molded. Just a bit to much $ for me.

Scheich can be found in most toy stores and chain stores, so they're produced in vast numbers. I don't think they're great sellers though. Places like that have heaps of ranges/product so the mark-up on each can be fairly modest. TSSD and AIP have a far more limited product, so the mark-up would need to be higher.

You may want to consider the weight comparison between 1 of these hefty elephants against 4 camels before making any sort of comment.

So what? I don't care whether 1 elephant weighs as much as 4 camels. I do care about buying 1 elephant for $25 vs 4 camels for $15, or 2 elephants for $50 vs 16 camels for $45, or 3 elephants for $75 vs 32 camels for that amount.

Only one other plastic maker has done an elephant - HaT - and the reason why this was discontinued is the complex, and therefore expensive, method required in reaching a finished item. This just MAY be why no other Company has achieved it. The Britains and Timpo Zoo items from the '60's were too small and out of scale and the HaT item was not much bigger.
Both the TSSD and AIP item are NOT plastic, but Vinyl, which is altogether a different product and required different production methods.
The retail price of these in regular stores is anywhere between $10.00 and $18.00 depending on where you get them from.

It may also be wise to consider that these sets won't fit into the standard packaging and will require bespoke cartons, twice the size, another huge extra cost - I know only too well how much obtaining low-volume cartons cost and could well do without it for my own items and for the Replicants Playsets, but it needs to be done and the cost has to be passed onto to the buyer. That is a fact of life.

AIP's website states the elephant is plastic but I'll take your word as to it being vinyl, as well as to the manufacturing and packaging complexity and expense. However, others have posted the elephant can be had for $3 - $6. Presumably AIP paid no more, probably less.

Perhaps our efforts would be better spent supporting those that still produce different sets for us to choose from and let's be honest, no-one has EVER produced these subjects in plastic/vinyl/whatever at what is really a realistic and affordable price.

Come on guys, let's be positive and supportive.

I said in my first post that these are very nice sets. To that I would add agreement with you that they are unique. And I realize manufacturers and sellers must recover their costs and make a reasonable profit in order to survive. If they don't, there will be fewer of them and therefore fewer, less diverse sets. Nevertheless, what is a "realistic and affordable price" is in the eye of the buyer. If I don't feel I'm getting reasonable value for my money, I won't make the purchase. And THAT also is a fact of life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back