Austin Miniatures Pacific Theater Playset (2 Viewers)

Are the foam pieces the same ones TSSD offered as a Tarawa display, or are they brand new specific to this playset, hard to tell from the picture...……...

Are the foam pieces the same ones TSSD offered as a Tarawa display, or are they brand new specific to this playset, hard to tell from the picture...……...

If they are the same foam pieces he had at last years show for display only, they are almost the same as TSSD,s. In other words the difference would not justify the cost. I hate to say this because I really want him to succeed because that would mean more figures in the future. But he is booking a looser on this due to the high price. The only real new stuff are the one set of Marines & Japs.

I (generally) do not collect plastic.

BUT …. I do collect Pacific WWII. This addition would interest me as an alternative to strictly metal.
It does seem the ratio of product <> cost is high.
I would also be a bit worried about the future of this set wit respect to add-on and such.

I own the TSSD foam and love them. Adding more diorama piece would be an attractive selling point.
However, only if they are different and (relatively) compatible w/ TSSD.

---LaRRY

Again I like what he is trying to do but he tried this the first time around with a set of cowboys and a western town. It did not work. How much can someone do with cowboys. They never had gun battles in platoons or companies. Kinda the same with a western town. Don't recall any seiges or battles over a town.
I will say if you talk to this guy, don't remember his name, he is more than enthusiastic and fun to talk to.
I suggested last here that he do something not yet done, the battle of Khe Sanh. If he can do dugouts, trenches, etc for the Pacific I don't think a foam piece depicting Khe Sanh would be any more difficult plus the Marines and NVA, Viet Cong would be different. He liked the idea but I guess he stuck to his Pacific scene. One more thing in the negative. His Jap poses are very close to looking like TSSD's Jap poses. Its not my money but if it was I would go a different route.

. Kinda the same with a western town. Don't recall any seiges or battles over a town.

This is a very interesting comment. I guess to a lot of collectors, recreating a real battle is of utmost importance. For others, it's simply getting out the toys and creating a fake battle (after all, isn't that what all Zorro battle are?), using the imagination with what one has on hand just to have fun. I do both, but I guess when it comes down to it, I do not recreate the battles accurately, so probably fall into the latter category. So, a siege of a western town with cowboys vs. bad cowboys, banditos, or Indians is OK for me. Besides, a zillion old western movies depict this sort of thing, disregarding reality in most cases. It's all good fun!

This is a very interesting comment. I guess to a lot of collectors, recreating a real battle is of utmost importance. For others, it's simply getting out the toys and creating a fake battle (after all, isn't that what all Zorro battle are?), using the imagination with what one has on hand just to have fun. I do both, but I guess when it comes down to it, I do not recreate the battles accurately, so probably fall into the latter category. So, a siege of a western town with cowboys vs. bad cowboys, banditos, or Indians is OK for me. Besides, a zillion old western movies depict this sort of thing, disregarding reality in most cases. It's all good fun!

I'm not saying a western town set up is not fun. But what I am saying for a first time venture into making playsets maybe a theme that is more appealing to more people would have been a better idea. Everybody has made WW2 Germans but I would guess if he had made a playset with Germans it would have sold more than a cowboy themed set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back