Austrian Karabiniers, Seven Years War (1 Viewer)

theBaron

Major
Hi, all! Here's my first contribution to our uniformology forum, an illustration of an Austrian Karabinier from the Seven Years War:

OsterrKarabinierMalvorlage.jpg

Credit where credit is due--Conny Schulte provided me with this image, in response to a question I posted at the HZ-Forum about the uniform.

Troops of carabineers were added to the cuirassier regiments, similarly to the addition of mounted grenadiers in dragoon regiments in some armies. As far as I've been able to tell, it was intended to provide the cavalry regiments with some additional firepower, especially for times in which the men were most vulnerable, such as when dismounted or when re-forming after a charge.

The carabineers were armed with a carbine, though of different pattern from the carbine already issued to the cuirassiers. And some were issued with the weapon you see depicted here, the "trombone", which was used to fire a charge of loose shot, like a shotgun.

As far as I have been able to tell from illustrations (eg, Ottenfeld), the carabineer's uniform differed from the cuirassier's in only the detail that he carried a curved, heavy saber, instead of the straight-bladed Pallasch. I have read that they wore a different pattern of boot as well, but haven't found any illustrations to help support that.

My purpose is tracking this down is to provide info to bash a Stadden Prussian cuirassier into an Austrian carabineer. The basic modification will be to remove the cast coat skirts and replace them with slightly larger ones, since the Austrian coats were more voluminous and longer than the Prussian Kollet. Otherwise, the details on the castings are pretty close for the purpose.

Thanks for looking, prost!
Brad

Is that a Funken illustration?

Martin

Tsk, tsk! Language, Martin, this is a family forum!

:D

Yes, I believe you're correct. I think I have the volume immediately previous to the volume containing this one; it ends before the Seven Years War, and is the only volume that I have from the Funckens' excellent series.

Prost!
Brad

Tsk, tsk! Language, Martin, this is a family forum!

:D

Yes, I believe you're correct. I think I have the volume immediately previous to the volume containing this one; it ends before the Seven Years War, and is the only volume that I have from the Funckens' excellent series.

Prost!
Brad

I've been trying to get my hnds on them for years, again the information has been covered by other books but I just like them.

Martin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back