Bastion Fort - French & Indian War (1 Viewer)

Fraxinus

Master Sergeant
Bastion Fort – French & Indian War:

I have always been fascinated by fortification engineering, particularly bastion forts from the French & Indian War Period. Some after viewing UK Reb’s diorama pages and Mike Miller’s dioramas, I started researching into bastion fort design with the far back in the mind idea of someday modeling a bastion fort.

There was a web page Civil War Fortifications (defunk now) that contained a wealth of information via their Dictionary Page. Contained on that page were the guidelines and rules for developing fortifications including “tracing” a bastion fort --- developing the outline for a bastion fort. Although the outline of the bastion fort changes angles repeatedly, the outlining of the fort is very easy, it does not rely on drawing angles, but on simple intersecting lines. As such, developing the outline is straightforward and not at all difficult. The only angle that one needs to determine are 90 degree angles and any math involved is maybe 5th grade level.

I learned to trace bastion forts using this method of intersecting lines. Eventually, I took a protractor to my scale drawings to determine angles. I was surprised and very happy to find that there were only 2 resulting angles for a 4-sided bastion fort, 60 degrees and 75 degrees. Two of the standard hard stops on any miter box or power sander.

The principle idea behind a bastion fort is to have fields of fire to all points surrounding the fort and not have any defensive blind spots along the walls were an attacker could “hide” and not be fired upon by the defenders. At least from some vantage point on the wall, the defender has to be able to see and fire upon any attacking force that is hugging perimeter wall.

A B

D C

As such, the concept of a bastion fort is largely based on mutual protection - Bastion A protects the Walls of Bastion B and D while Bastion B protects the Walls of Bastion A and C, etc.

The fort I am modeling is not of a specific historical fort. But a fusion of several different concepts that were part of various forts constructed during the French & Indian War and the Revolutionary War – Fort Stanwix, Fort Ligioner, Fort Duquesne and Fort William Henry.

A principle concept of a bastion fort is to withstand some measure of artillery fire. As such, one determines what guns are likely to be used against the fort which then determines the thickness of the ramparts and parapets you need to build. Even if you assume a small caliber artillery piece such as a 6-pounder, the wall thickness to withstand a hit would be about 10 feet (6 feet penetration from the cannonball plus 50% more for a safety factor to allow the wall to remain standing). To accept the recoil from the defending artillery and have room to operate the gun, the artillery platforms behind the upper wall has to be at least 15 feet long. So if you are trying to utilize minimum values for your wall thicknesses, the wall thickness at the base is at least 25 feet (10 feet + 15 feet). At 60 mm scale, 25 feet = 10 inches. An upper parapet thickness of 15 feet would “allow” for attacking guns of a somewhat larger caliber, but the base wall thickness would then be increased to 30 feet (Fort William Henry).

The thickness of upper wall is critical in determining the overall dimensions of the fort. Again, the defense of any specific bastion is derived from the adjacent bastions. As such, you have to be able to “see” over the wall to ground level. Assuming a wall height of about 15 feet and an upper parapet thickness of 15 feet, the individual bastions have to be a minimum of 300-350 feet apart to eliminate any blind spots along the walls. If any closer, there will be safe spots adjacent to the walls were the defenders cannot see from neither of the adjacent bastions, never mind concentrating any defensive fire against that blind spot.

So unless you are willing to introduce a fatal flaw into the design, the minimum size for a bastion fort is 300 feet by 300 feet - (a better minimum would actually be a tad larger, Fort William Henry was about 325 by 350 feet). If taken to 60 scale, our model 300 ft. x 300 ft. structure is now 120 inches x 120 inches or 10 feet x 10 feet. This is simply too big to model.

But as the basement has a dehumidifier, not all hope was lost. After a lot of thought and delay, I decided to go for a 90 inch x 90 inch bastion fort (225 foot x 225 foot). The model would then by 7.5 feet x 7.5 feet. This is larger than Fort Duquesne (160 ft. x 160 ft.), but introduces a considerable number of design flaws (weaknesses) that are actually damm annoying. Dimensions smaller than 225 feet generate problems because the artillery platforms overlap (guns on recoil crashing into one another) and the flank gun embrasure is lost.

There are only three types of walls to a bastion fort. The long walls of the bastion = Face, short walls = Flank, and the walls connecting the various bastions are the Curtain Walls.

With the 225-foot design, things become very crowded, very fast. The square footage for a 225 x 225 foot is less than 60% of the 300 x 300 foot bastion. At 300 ft X 300 ft, the interior open space for the individual bastions would have been so much larger and much more attractive than the 225-ft design I ended up with. Excluding the wall thickness, the open space within the modeled 225-ft bastion is only about 15 inches by 15 inches.

Among the design flaws I introduced in order to save space is the reduction of the upper parapet thickness on the bastion walls from the desired 15 ft to 10 feet. I left the parapet thickness on the curtain wall at 15 feet. The gun platform length was left at 15 feet. With a 300-foot design, each bastion could have probably supported 7 guns comfortably, but only 5 guns at 225 ft. Losing a gun position on each face of the bastion hurts. Ideally, there should be 2 guns in each flank of the bastion, instead of the one gun, but getting 2 guns into the flanks probably would have needed at least a 350-foot design or 375-foot design. The guns located in the flanks are key to the defense. I could have squeezed in more gun embrasures, but they are very time consuming to build and I did not want to crowd the model. In most forts the number of embrasures (gun ports) far exceeded the actual number of cannon several times over.

Google Book is a great resource for historical military manuals and old books. Often non-copyrighted materials are fully viewable. Simply go into google book and start searches from there. I have again access to dozens of military engineering manuals and texts from the period 1700’s and 1800’s. From these sources, I developed a good idea about the construction of gun embrasures, dimensions and such. Here I cheated some, the narrow neck of the gun port should only be 2-foot wide - less than an inch at 60 scale (0.8 inches). In some cases, the narrow neck of the gun ports are considerably wider to allow a broader field of fire, but the military manuals of the time strongly advise against the narrow opening being more than 2-foot wide. Sometimes this wider neck was intentional to compensation for the low number of embrasures, other times - just sloppy construction on my part.

The wall construction is of horizontal logs – standard method for larger bastion forts in North America. I initially thought I would need a keyed stack joint, like lincoln logs, but I was never able to figure out how to do that type of joinery with any accuracy, especially as the joints needed are not 90 degrees. After staring at photos of Fort Ligonier for hours, I realized how the walls were constructed and decided I could use a lap joint as they do at Fort Ligonier. The use of the lap joints made the construction practical. Historically, the front and back walls of the ramparts and parapets are repeatedly connected to each other by logs internal to the wall, something like a basket weave. As such, there is an underlying support skeleton of timbers connecting the front wall to the back walls of the rampart. Once the wooden elements of the wall were assembled, the voids between the timbers were backfilled with earth and compacted. Understanding how the forts were actually constructed, allowed me to attempt this crude model. Without this understanding, I would not have attempted the model.

In some of the photos, there is a drop off in front of the outer walls. Eventually, this will be the framework for the perimeter ditch. Historically, the ditch served as the source of the fill material to construct the walls and was a key element in the defense. In the model, the ditch will only be on two sides of the fort. The other two sides lack the supporting ditch, but these sides are not likely to be attacked because the topography prevents it ---- there will be a lake, river, marsh, or steep cliff etc.

At this point, only about 20% - 25% of the total fort has been completed, one of the 4 bastions and segments of the adjacent curtain walls. I decided that it would be best to “finish” this 1 bastion and then see if I was enjoying myself enough to warrant completing the remaining 75%.

Below is a link to a scaled map of Fort William Henry including a cross-section on the wall.

http://www.masshist.org/maps/PlansandForts/PlansAndFortsp26.htm

I have been working on this fort since last July. Some of the elements you see have been suggested by Mike Miller. Compared to Mike, I work very slowly and sporadically. Construction is on the five-year plan. However, I promised Mike that I would post something on the forum before the end of 2010, so here goes ……

IMG_0026-1.jpg

Step 1: Trace Bastion on a Big Table !!!! With Painters Tape --- Intersecting Lines, Not Angles.

IMG_0010.jpg

Bastion Trace is the Pointy Thing. Drop is the Future Ditch.

IMG_0064.jpg

Bastion Wall Under Construction

IMG_0065.jpg

Front Curtain Wall

IMG_0062.jpg

Side View of Curtain Wall

IMG_0120-1.jpg

First Coat of Stain.

IMG_0132.jpg

Polyurethane and Pea Gravel

IMG_0139.jpg

More of the Same

IMG_0135.jpg

Gun Embrasure

Next Step: Finish the Artillery Platforms, More Pea Gravel, and then a Test Run with Figures the Week After Christmas.

Last edited:
I'll be following this project. Great that you have the space!

It's gonna be a masterpiece Ken...I'm so glad you are sharing it with me and the forum members...I know you were very methodical in your measurements and I know you did a lot of research before you started building...I know you paid close detail to the dimensions and I know you did your homework like an honor student...this is gonna be a beauty when you finish..now that you have a thread opened...I hope you will give us weekly or sporadic updates as you finish more of it...I'm very anxious to see your progress and then your finished fort with your huge collection of soldiers both attacking and defending it...

I hope you don't mind...but I'm gonna post one of the pictures you sent me a while back...

ps...your weathering on the logs (beating them up and scoring them)...really paid dividends...don't you think it's the little things that stand out...

pss...i love the pointy dowels...very intimidating...

IMG_0131.jpg

Design change #1218, instead of individual cannon platforms and a packed earth floor, plank the bastion floor.

Will stain it over the weekend. And we need more pea gravel !!!

IMG_0144.jpg

At scale, the hole in the floor is a tad over 15.5 feet from the nearest gun embrasure. The needed length of platform to accept a gun recoil is 15 feet. So the planking is acting as the gun platforms, but not much excess room. With a larger bastion, the planking would not have extended any further into the middle than shown here and open earth area would simply have expanded -- it would have been so much nicer that way.

Last edited:
:eek::eek: What an interesting thread, and thanks very much for the follow along. Looking forward to seeing the progress. One thing....didn't realize there were elephants in North America :D

Keep up the great work!

Scott

Looks like a great start to a great project.Will follow witt keen interest.
Mark

One thing....didn't realize there were elephants in North America :D

Keep up the great work!

Scott[/QUOTE]

He needed some kind of help.One man can't build a whole fort.:D
Mark

Nod, Nod, the woods of Quebec are famous for their Elephants!!!

One of the elephant photos somewhat depicts how the front and back walls of the ramparts are internally connected.

Cannons are Britains, retired, but very nice guns. Think from the early 2000s.

I am sure that Britains could easily sell those as solo items, instead of in sets. Similar to what JJD and K&C are now doing --- just the guns and no figures.

Design change #1218, instead of individual cannon platforms and a packed earth floor, plank the bastion floor.

Will stain it over the weekend. And we need more pea gravel !!!

IMG_0144.jpg

At scale, the hole in the floor is a tad over 15.5 feet from the nearest gun embrasure. The needed length of platform to accept a gun recoil is 15 feet. So the planking is acting as the gun platforms, but not much excess room. With a larger bastion, the planking would not have extended any further into the middle than shown here and open earth area would simply have expanded -- it would have been so much nicer that way.

Ken...can't tell you how much I agree with your change...the plank floor looks better to me...I'm sure you will "weather" it well before staining...:rolleyes:...as dragging those 5,000 pound guns across it must have dome some damage...

I have Prego flooring in my office and dining room...I can just imagine the damage firing those gus would do to it...

I bought these from a dealer in Iowa, about 3 years ago. The last of their stock.

Knowing that I wanted to do this project, I squirreled away 7 guns.

My guess is they represent 18-pounders or possibly 12-pounders, but I never saw any hint of a gun size on the packaging from W.B. Britain.

Yeah, I have the set they come with and have tried to buy the lone guns many times, but failed. They are 1812 naval (not garrison) guns, that represent those used in New Orleans. They fort literally took my breath away.

Coming along very nicely Ken an looking forward to seeing it finished, manned and defended......The Lt.

This looks stunning will look forward very much to see how this progresses
Mitch

This looks like an excellent and very detailed project. I was thinking of using the Rpn Barzo Fort William Henry as my Fort Wagner, with my 40mm ACW figures.

Walt

Wow, excellent work, Ken! Congratulations on your research and your attention to detail! I'm eager to follow your progress, too.

Will you use only commercially-finished figures, too, or include figures that you paint yourself?

Prost!
Brad

I lack any experience with painting anything beyond a wall. The idea of painting figures is something I have thought about and bought 1 or 2 books about, but I lack the confidence that I could actually do anything worthwhile.

As a small step, I recently ordered an artillery piece kit from Verlinden, no human figures. So that will be my first painting attempt, a 32-pounder.

However, the idea is very tempting there will be a desperate shortage of artillery crew figures.

After posting the last photo showing the planking, I have been thinking that the interior of bastion is simply too small and it was a mistake to model at 225 ft. The interior open space is only about 15 x 12 inches, things will get crowded very fast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back