Battle of Tel-el-Kebir - At Last! (1 Viewer)

aujj65

Colonel
At long last the first ten figures are now available over here in the UK! I can’t believe that it was at the London show last December that I picked up the 2016 Winter Catalogue with these (and the other nine figures and gun) shown as this year’s releases. I hope that the rest will be available soon.

Here’s a photo showing the figure boxes and another photo of the Earthworks (that I made back in February this year) to display them on. The Highlander is from the Museum collection with a repainted base to match the existing War Along the Nile range.

Over the weekend I shall be taking some more photos with the figures suitably arranged.

It’s been a long wait but worth it!

Jeff

Attachments

• tek wan.jpg
    tek wan.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 1,197
  • tek.JPG
    tek.JPG
    323.3 KB · Views: 1,044
  • tek01.JPG
    tek01.JPG
    314.1 KB · Views: 1,045
Last edited:
You are one dedicated collector Jeff. Now to put them into some diorama's to set them off. Robin.

Very interesting this new series, considering that even a Krupp artillery piece has been issued! The whole concept has great chances to provide us with more to come.....A while ago I asked the Britains team if the Earthworks would be given lateral sections so as to bring the middle section more into perspective, not just let the earthwork end on a surgical straight line at the extremities and I was told that these sides were being considered! That will be a great touch for you will be able to add as many middle sections and still have the end "bits" to give it a more real appearance....Talking of real appearance, I still think ( I may be wrong ) that the earthworks are too wide and an Egyptian soldier behind it, standing at the " firing steps " must have had a very limited line of sight as to what was right in front of him so as to shoot. In other words a lot of dead ground .....Or would they have to stand up on the works parapet and fire from there on a totally exposed position....making themselves the perfect target against the horizon......{sm4}{sm4}{sm4}....Not sure if this was a wise military decision....
Cheers
Luiz

Very interesting this new series, considering that even a Krupp artillery piece has been issued! The whole concept has great chances to provide us with more to come.....A while ago I asked the Britains team if the Earthworks would be given lateral sections so as to bring the middle section more into perspective, not just let the earthwork end on a surgical straight line at the extremities and I was told that these sides were being considered! That will be a great touch for you will be able to add as many middle sections and still have the end "bits" to give it a more real appearance....Talking of real appearance, I still think ( I may be wrong ) that the earthworks are too wide and an Egyptian soldier behind it, standing at the " firing steps " must have had a very limited line of sight as to what was right in front of him so as to shoot. In other words a lot of dead ground .....Or would they have to stand up on the works parapet and fire from there on a totally exposed position....making themselves the perfect target against the horizon......{sm4}{sm4}{sm4}....Not sure if this was a wise military decision....
Cheers
Luiz

Hi Luiz,

I made mine using info from Michael Barthorp's book War on the Nile, and is scaled at ten feet across the top just to give a nice large area to place as many figures as I can. :)

Jeff

Attachments

• text.JPG
    text.JPG
    286.5 KB · Views: 543
Figures out of their boxes and ready for placing on the earthworks. More photos to follow later.

Jeff

Attachments

• figures 01.JPG
    figures 01.JPG
    214.9 KB · Views: 472
  • figures 02.JPG
    figures 02.JPG
    236 KB · Views: 556
  • figures 03.JPG
    figures 03.JPG
    244.1 KB · Views: 472
  • figures 04.JPG
    figures 04.JPG
    191 KB · Views: 459
  • figures 05.JPG
    figures 05.JPG
    189.8 KB · Views: 611
You are one dedicated collector Jeff. Now to put them into some diorama's to set them off. Robin.

A bit sparse, but it's a start. Hopefully the other nine figures and gun will be available soon.

Nice figures though. ^&cool

Jeff

Attachments

• dio 01.JPG
    dio 01.JPG
    202.4 KB · Views: 480
  • dio 02.JPG
    dio 02.JPG
    311.2 KB · Views: 444
  • dio 03.JPG
    dio 03.JPG
    284.9 KB · Views: 592
Sparse is just fine Jeff, allows you to look forward to increasing your collection. Ken has done a great job with those earth works. Think your scene so far has turned out really well. Robin.

Mine arrived last Thursday hand delivered by the lovely Craig of Redcoat Models.
Definitely worth waiting for, bring on the gun team and the rest of the foot figures.

Hi Jeff,
Thanks a lot for the info....
No wonders the Scots were able to get really close before the charge...the Egyptians were hiding behind these huge ramparts and had all this dead ground in front of them will no way of seeing what was happening unless they stood up against the skyline on top of the earthworks.....perfect target shooitng....{sm4}{sm4}
Cheers
Luiz

Hi Luiz,

I made mine using info from Michael Barthorp's book War on the Nile, and is scaled at ten feet across the top just to give a nice large area to place as many figures as I can. :)

Jeff

Hi Jeff,
Would the krupp gun and garrison from the Nile collection fit in as the Egyptian complement artillery? They did not change drastically uniforms nor artillery/rifles between the Gordon relief expedition and the invasion of Egypt...If you can source those would help on the diorama.....{sm4}{sm4}
Cheers
Luiz

A bit sparse, but it's a start. Hopefully the other nine figures and gun will be available soon.

Nice figures though. ^&cool

Jeff

Excellent Jeff, love the earthworks :wink2:

All the best

Martyn:)

Hi Jeff,
By the way...it was only when you answered my note on the ramparts, that I realized that you had scratch built yours!! It is so good .....I even thought it was the one sold by the Britains Manufacturer....
Cheers

Luiz

Hi Jeff,
Thanks a lot for the info....
No wonders the Scots were able to get really close before the charge...the Egyptians were hiding behind these huge ramparts and had all this dead ground in front of them will no way of seeing what was happening unless they stood up against the skyline on top of the earthworks.....perfect target shooitng....{sm4}{sm4}
Cheers
Luiz

Hi Jeff,
By the way...it was only when you answered my note on the ramparts, that I realized that you had scratch built yours!! It is so good .....I even thought it was the one sold by the Britains Manufacturer....
Cheers

Luiz

Thank you Luiz, :salute::

I was inspired by the WB Redoubt and I thought I would make my own to suit the size of the shelves in one of my display cabinets.

28 inches x 12 inches gives a decent size for displaying a reasonable number of figures.

The base was cut from an off-cut of 6mm MDF which I had laying around, the ground work was built up using some expanded polystyrene packaging (rescued from a skip) which was cut and stuck together using a non-solvent adhesive. The rough shape was then covered in Polyfiller.

Scenic items from JG Miniatures were stuck into the still wet mixture (to keep the cost down, I cut the gabions in half lengthways as it is only the outer face that is seen).

When dry it was given a coat of PVA glue to seal and give a good base for painting. Using matt acrylic paints, the outside edges were painted in an earth colour, the rest in sand.

I did a bit of dry-brushing on the scenic items. Then the groundwork had a coat of PVA glue and a liberal covering of plastic sand granules (again from JG Miniatures).

When this was dry the surplus was shaken off and the whole base given a couple of sprayed coats of matt acrylic varnish. Not quite the same as the WB one but I’m reasonably happy with it as it only cost around the £60 mark.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,
Would the krupp gun and garrison from the Nile collection fit in as the Egyptian complement artillery? They did not change drastically uniforms nor artillery/rifles between the Gordon relief expedition and the invasion of Egypt...If you can source those would help on the diorama.....{sm4}{sm4}
Cheers
Luiz

I think that the gun and crew are the same models/figures used in the Nile Riverboat.

I think that the gun and crew are the same models/figures used in the Nile Riverboat.

The gun and three of the crew look the same, apart from the bases of the figures, and the gunboat officer has been replaced by a gunner with a ramrod. Can't arrive quick enough!

Jeff

Attachments

• gun 01.jpg
    gun 01.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 371
  • gun 02.jpg
    gun 02.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 328

Users who are viewing this thread

Back